Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Floyd Mayweather Makes Armando Carral's Wish Happen

Quote:

LAS VEGAS, NV - Boxing king Floyd Mayweather, one of the top athletes in the world today, "made a wish" come true yesterday for one of his biggest fans when he met Armando Carral, a 17-year old Hodgkin's disease patient who asked to meet the boxing Champion through the Make-A-Wish Foundation, a non-profit organization that grants the wishes of children with life-threatening diseases.

"This is a rewarding experience and I'm grateful to be in the position where I can make a difference in Armando's life," said Mayweather. "He is a very nice young man and I would like to congratulate him for staying strong and finishing high school.

Mayweather and Armando were brought together thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation's "Wish to Meet" program. The young man, who arrived at the Mayweather Boxing Gym with his mother, Maria Arias, and older sister Irasema Carral, was ecstatic to meet his long-time idol. Armando has been following boxing for most of his life and is an avid fan of the sport and of Mayweather, his favorite boxing superstar.

"I am so happy to meet Champion Floyd Mayweather," said Armando. "I am a big fan of such a great boxer and I admire him for his hard work and belief in himself. I am a believer too."

"I am very happy for this opportunity for my son," said Maria, Armando's mother. "He has always wanted to meet Floyd and thank you to Floyd and Make-A-Wish Foundation."

While together Mayweather chatted with Armando and his family while signing autographs and posing with them for photos. Mayweather was extremely impressed with the fighting spirit of the young man.

"Armando has met challenges that many of us will never see in our lives," said Mayweather. "He is strong and so is his family."

Granting Armando's wish was just another example of Mayweather's continuing efforts to give back to the Las Vegas community where he generously donates his time and financial resources to those less fortunate. Through his Floyd Mayweather Jr. Foundation, he has counseled troubled youth and feed the homeless to name a few activities.
I always like hearing these stories about athletes going out and giving back to those in less fortunate situations.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-04-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Beautiful story!! So glad to read it!! He has a nice heart and I love when athletes/celebrities make someones day!!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I like him when he's not in his boxing character and gloating about money, lol. Good stuff here
Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Back where I lived outside of Chicago, some close friends of mine work directly with "Wish Upon a Star" and every year they do a huge fundraiser/softball game, with bands, food, and games for kids all day long. They also would get a ton of local celebrities to come out and sign autographs, including a lot of athletes from pro-ball clubs, and it was always cool to see those guys come out and give back like it was nothing to them. A couple of years ago they even had the Temptations perform...(RIP Ollie Woodson )
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Gotta love the Temptations