Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't think he is afraid of taking a shot, but knowing a shot is coming and taking a punch for the first time from someone is definitley different ... he even said that he was rattled when randy gave him a few shots ... wait til carwin hits him ... it's gonna be some white on white crime ....
I'm sure those chair shots to face rattled him too. Those seemed like they could stop a Mack Truck. You know the punches are coming towards your face when you fight in the UFC as much as Brock knew those chair shots were coming from the Hardy Boys.

Getting rattled and getting KO'd in the first round are two different things. Randy rattled Brock, then Brock knocked Randy out, so it goes both ways. Of course Carwin COULD catch Brock and put him away, but I have serious doubts about that being a reality. Let's not forget that Brock gets to punch Carwin too!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM

don't think for a second that those shots with the chair were actualy hard. First, he hits him on the forehead, the hardest place on the head. Second, watch the guys hands, wrists, and arms just as the chair hits him. Everything basically goes limp. Does it hurt? Hell yea it probably does. Is it even remotely close to a punch in the face? Definitely not even the same league.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
don't think for a second that those shots with the chair were actualy hard. First, he hits him on the forehead, the hardest place on the head. Second, watch the guys hands, wrists, and arms just as the chair hits him. Everything basically goes limp. Does it hurt? Hell yea it probably does. Is it even remotely close to a punch in the face? Definitely not even the same league.
I pretty much expected a response like that when I posted the video.

Of course a punch is different than a chair-shot, but is it really that hard for people to accept that professional wrestling is not nearly as "fake" as everyone thinks it is? Those guys DO get hurt, and that is a REAL steel chair smacking him in the face, twice. Everybody always has a a way to downplay or explain away some of the stunts we see in Pro-Wrestling, but it's mostly nonsense. Of course it is pre-planned, and of course they take safety precautions, but some things are as real as it gets and yet people still find a way to downplay it just because it's "fake" wrestling. The mat is not made of pillows, guys do really suffer real cuts and broken bones, and you can't fake jumping off a 20 foot ladder and going through a table.

Granted, we haven't really seen Brock in enough trouble to determine where he is in terms of his "chin" or ability to endure a lot of punishment, but something that a lot of Boxing trainers and historians will tell you is that it's really strength in the neck and collar that helps a fighter endure punishment to the head and avoid being KO'd. I think Lesnar is doing pretty good for himself in the "neck strength" department, but that's not to say he can't still be KO'd like anybody else, just an observation.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow View Post
He can definately take a shot. This isn't right on the chin but he basically goes head first into the mat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHgLj7gF_FE
He's lucky to be alive after that.

Somebody call Mythbusters, because I am willing to bet cash-money that there is not a human being who can throw a punch with as much force as he experienced when smacking his face off the canvas like that.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I pretty much expected a response like that when I posted the video.

Of course a punch is different than a chair-shot, but is it really that hard for people to accept that professional wrestling is not nearly as "fake" as everyone thinks it is? Those guys DO get hurt, and that is a REAL steel chair smacking him in the face, twice. Everybody always has a a way to downplay or explain away some of the stunts we see in Pro-Wrestling, but it's mostly nonsense. Of course it is pre-planned, and of course they take safety precautions, but some things are as real as it gets and yet people still find a way to downplay it just because it's "fake" wrestling. The mat is not made of pillows, guys do really suffer real cuts and broken bones, and you can't fake jumping off a 20 foot ladder and going through a table.

Granted, we haven't really seen Brock in enough trouble to determine where he is in terms of his "chin" or ability to endure a lot of punishment, but something that a lot of Boxing trainers and historians will tell you is that it's really strength in the neck and collar that helps a fighter endure punishment to the head and avoid being KO'd. I think Lesnar is doing pretty good for himself in the "neck strength" department, but that's not to say he can't still be KO'd like anybody else, just an observation.
Yeah, they said that botched shooting star press would have broke most people's neck.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow View Post
Yeah, they said that botched shooting star press would have broke most people's neck.
No doubt, like I said after seeing that video, the man is lucky to be alive.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 AM

Like I said, it's not fake, but it's not what it's made out to be either. Also, the one where he lands on his head, LOOK AT HIM!!!! He's actually REALLY hurt. That's completely different than the FAKE hit he took from the chair. Pulease... he wasn't hit nearly as hard as they are making it out to be, and that.

Chair - fake
head on mat - real

Tables from 20ft ladder, precut, not as bad as it looks...

of course they get hurt, they are doing some really hard **** to do without the risk of getting hurt. Occassionally they will get hurt, but they are trained to do this stuff and be as safe as possible. They had a show on a while back like TUF, but trying out for pro -wrestling. Some of the guys interviewed said they were surprised at how much stuff was scripted and how easy it is to make chairs, tables, etc., look so deadly without having much of a real effect on the person being hit with them.

Do you have any idea what would happen to someone's head if it were really hit with a full swing by one of those chairs? A short elbow would cut the forehead, what do you think that chair would do? Sheesh.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Like I said, it's not fake, but it's not what it's made out to be either. Also, the one where he lands on his head, LOOK AT HIM!!!! He's actually REALLY hurt. That's completely different than the FAKE hit he took from the chair. Pulease... he wasn't hit nearly as hard as they are making it out to be, and that.

Chair - fake
head on mat - real

Tables from 20ft ladder, precut, not as bad as it looks...

of course they get hurt, they are doing some really hard **** to do without the risk of getting hurt. Occassionally they will get hurt, but they are trained to do this stuff and be as safe as possible. They had a show on a while back like TUF, but trying out for pro -wrestling. Some of the guys interviewed said they were surprised at how much stuff was scripted and how easy it is to make chairs, tables, etc., look so deadly without having much of a real effect on the person being hit with them.

Do you have any idea what would happen to someone's head if it were really hit with a full swing by one of those chairs? A short elbow would cut the forehead, what do you think that chair would do? Sheesh.
It's either fake or it isn't. I don't see any part of getting smacked in the head or face with a steel chair being fake. It certainly doesn't make that sound by giving the guy a little love tap.

I'm not saying they don't train for it and know how to perform it as safely as possible, but you are making it sound like taking a steel chair to the head/face is a walk in the park. Guys get busted open from chair shots quite a bit, but it doesn't always happen because they aim to hit the guys with the flat part of the chair. Elbows cause cuts because they are pointed and are usually used in a motion that rakes across the head or face making it more likely to cause a cut. Also, the elbow is one of the strongest and hardest bones in the human body, and it's much denser than the grade of steel used in those chairs.

I posted the video to show the guy is not afraid of getting hit, and he obviously can take a shot to the head. The video clearly proves that point, but Jeff's video of the botched shooting star press proves that even more. Still, if it were really as fake as some people try to make it seem then anybody off the street could be a wrestler. Let's also not forget that top stars in the WWE are on the road 300 days out of the year and take that abuse night in and night out.

Ask Mick Foley how fake or "not as bad as it seems" this was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MwZBINfWNE

If I remember correctly, it was that stunt that made his wife say "no more".
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM

yea, things can go wrong, and people do get hurt in pro wrestling, but I wouldn't for a second put someone in the WWE taking a shot like the chair that brock did twice, and compare it to taking a punch from a top UFC guy. Sorry.

Of course he's not afraid, never said he was. We'll see what happens when someone his own size hits him for REAL.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
yea, things can go wrong, and people do get hurt in pro wrestling, but I wouldn't for a second put someone in the WWE taking a shot like the chair that brock did twice, and compare it to taking a punch from a top UFC guy. Sorry.

Of course he's not afraid, never said he was. We'll see what happens when someone his own size hits him for REAL.
I didn't say that you said he was afraid. I was responding to RNC when I posted the video.

I never said a chair shot and a punch were the same thing either. Punches can come from lots of different angles and with varying degrees of force. Still, watching those particular chair shots, I am inclined to believe that it had just as much force as a lot of punches we see. Not ALL punches from ALL fighters, but quite a bit in my opinion. Those were some pretty good chair shots. If you don't like the chair-shot comparison, so be it, the video of the botched shooting star press is proof of the same point I was making. The guy can take a shot, and I highly doubt he is gonna fold like a blanket when Carwin hits him.