Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Garandshooter

Default Remington 700 tips

Well after years of hunting with my M1 Garand, I thought I would buy an actual deer rifle. Tomorrow I will be picking up a Remington 700 SPS in 30-06. I will be mounting a Redfield tracker 3-9x40 I've got, in leupold mounts. I will be using a 1907 militay sling, but I got one in black to blend in. NO lights or bipods will be used.
So to the question. What things have you done to a 700 to get it woods ready?
Also I have never been any good a hitting running deer with a scoped rifle, I do pretty good at this with my M1. What technique do you use for this, and do you have any practice drill to build up that skill?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
Well after years of hunting with my M1 Garand, I thought I would buy an actual deer rifle. Tomorrow I will be picking up a Remington 700 SPS in 30-06. I will be mounting a Redfield tracker 3-9x40 I've got, in leupold mounts. I will be using a 1907 militay sling, but I got one in black to blend in. NO lights or bipods will be used.
So to the question. What things have you done to a 700 to get it woods ready?
Also I have never been any good a hitting running deer with a scoped rifle, I do pretty good at this with my M1. What technique do you use for this, and do you have any practice drill to build up that skill?
Practice on coyotes . Here they are a year round season , I actually think they are year round in most states.

Never owned a 700 so my tips are pretty much non existant on that rifle .
Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Garandshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Practice on coyotes . Here they are a year round season , I actually think they are year round in most states.

Never owned a 700 so my tips are pretty much non existant on that rifle .
I would love to go after yotes more, but the crew I tag along with only goes when there is fresh snow. I'm thinking of a way to mount a target in a tire swing, but need a safe way to release it ie from behind the firing line. The range I belong to has two hundered yard pits, so I could have some one raise the target and pull it. This would give me a chance at quick shots, but it's the horizontal moving targets I'm after.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
surveyorshawn

The cheapest way to sharpen your long range rifle skills if varmint shooting with a smaller caliber rifle. Use the same type scope so you will be used to it. Go whether your usual crew is with you or not. Also, squirrel hunting with a .22 helped me a ton when nothing else was available, but coyote hunting with a .17 hmr or something similar is cool too! Also, you can have someone roll a tire with a target on it down a hill in a safe area & shoot at it. We used to do that with archery equipment, & I've seen people practice that way with rifles on some hunting shows.