Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby71 View Post
Thanks everyone!
No problem. I guess what I think the most important piece of advice is to always give yourself enough time so that you never feel rushed or the need to break the speed limit (you can break the speed limit if you want, but you should never feel like you have to in order to make it to work on time). I always try to get to work with a minimum of 15-20 minutes before I have to clock in. This gives me the time to grab a coffee and McDonalds (and use their free Wi-Fi) or just walk around the store and chat with some of my co-workers before my shift starts (I work nights at Walmart, in case you were wondering).
Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby71 View Post
Thanks everyone!
Well I've been there, done that so I know what you'll be going through. It takes me 25 minutes to get to work right now. I could take a faster route and make it in 15-20 but the traffic that way is bad and there's an intersection that is very unsafe. So I choose to leave earlier and take the longer route which is the back roads through the city and I have almost no traffic. I enjoy that time because it's just me in my car and I can listen to music to psych me up before work and put me in a good mood. It also gives me time to reflect on things before I get home so I can leave work at work.

~Amy
Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Stump Rules!

I have a fairly short, 15ish minute drive mostly through residential streets. Here's what I did on the drive last week

http://www.youtube.com/user/StewartA.../9/wjrqo_LdWWU

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM

I would make sure you have emergency supplies in your trunk. A kit for car breakdown - flashlight, flares, safety triangle, antifreeze, oil, etc. A kit for winter - sleeping bag, food, shovel, etc. I would consider having a work "bug out" bag - a small backpack in the trunk with supplies - food, knife, canteen, flashlight, change of clothes, etc, in case something bad goes down while you are at work (thinking of 9/11, L.A. riots, etc.). Carry a cell phone and get a back-up charger (solar, battery-powered, etc.) for it in case it needs charging. Never drive through a bad neighborhood, even if it saves times; if your car breaks down, you are a dead man.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I would make sure you have emergency supplies in your trunk. A kit for car breakdown - flashlight, flares, safety triangle, antifreeze, oil, etc. A kit for winter - sleeping bag, food, shovel, etc. I would consider having a work "bug out" bag - a small backpack in the trunk with supplies - food, knife, canteen, flashlight, change of clothes, etc, in case something bad goes down while you are at work (thinking of 9/11, L.A. riots, etc.). Carry a cell phone and get a back-up charger (solar, battery-powered, etc.) for it in case it needs charging. Never drive through a bad neighborhood, even if it saves times; if your car breaks down, you are a dead man.
...and maps and a compass