Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Bobby71

Default commuting to work

So I'm starting a new job in a week. For the first time in my life I will have to make a long commute to work. In the past the longest drive I have ever had to get to work is about 15 min or so. Now with no traffic I will be facing a 30 min drive and with traffic it will be about an hour (I'll be working downtown STL).

So my question is how to make the drive as enjoyable as possible. Any tips are welcome.

Here is what I have done/ planned so far.

1. I have cleaned the inside of my car. I'm talking detailed with car wipes, window wipes, vacuumed, and air freshener.
2. I have a great travel cup with a straw. I'll make sure to have fresh ice water when I leave the house in the morning.
3. I'll make sure to download the newest sherdog radio to mp3 player so I can listen in the car (I don't care for music much).

I leave early so I have plenty of time to get there. That way I wont be stressed about driving fast so I can get there on time.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

I hope you are happy in your new job.

I've never had to commute far to work. I live 5 mins walk from store now, and when I was in London I was 10mins by bus or about a half hour by walking
Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Bobby71

Well, thank you Tyburn.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:20 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby71 View Post
Well, thank you Tyburn.
your welcome

I cant even drive I'm afraid...well I can drive...I just cant pass a test...but it wasnt my fault...I had a really thick driving instructor...we left the test centre, and he said "take the next left" I asked him if he was sure...and he said "yes" so I indicated to turn into the carpark and he bellowed "not that left" and frightened me, so I stalled in the middle of the road.

Then once we were off again, we came towards Five Lane Ends Roundabout in Bradford, one of the worst ever built, and I have to concentrate with gears and lanes, and before we knew it, we were onto the roundabout, and I couldnt for the life of me remember which turning he'd told me to take...so we went round once...then round again, then finally I just picked a turning, and it wasnt the right one
Old 05-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

For longer commutes I like to get books on CD from the library and listen to them while I drive. It makes it go by pretty quickly. Also, getting to work on time is not worth dying over. Relax as much as you can.

~Amy
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Dethbob

Books on CD or mp3 is a great idea. Mix in some correspondence courses or language tapes once in a while.

Definitely try to relax! But don’t beat yourself up to much if you loose your cool once in a while, a long drive day after day will get to you now and then.

Go easy on the ice water, a long commute gets Very long and there are no restrooms in your car.

That commute will get surprisingly expensive. If you can find someone to vanpool with who will not drive you nuts or make you late all the time, it will help a lot.

Congratulations on the new job!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Dethbob

One other thing, make it a hobby to find and take different routes to work as often as you can. You’ll have to leave a little earlier those days just in case, but for safety and mental health it’s important switch things up, and you never know when your usual route will not be available or safe, for whatever reason.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
County Mike

My ride to work is about 40 minutes and close to an hour on the way home (more traffic). XM radio helps because I don't lose the station as I drive the way I would with FM.

What really does it for me is that I have a great job and I really like where I live. As long as I'm happy with those two things, the drive is acceptable.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

My drive to work is about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. I listen to a lot of music, so I'll either listen to the radio or put in a CD, most of the time a mix CD that I create in iTunes (usually anything from metal to techno).

I used to listen to the talk radio station on the way to work, but I start work at 10 PM and the only guy on the radio at that time is Michael Savage. While I agree with the guy on a lot of what he says, the topics he discusses always get my blood boiling; so I had to stop listening to him before work.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Bobby71

Thanks everyone!