Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
talkin_smack1

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkin_smack1
Here is why the guy is in prison:
JEDSON EDWARD LEIST, 36, of Acworth, Georgia, was sentenced this morning to 20 years in federal prison by United States District Judge Robert L. Vining, Jr., for crimes including false statements; wire and mail fraud; possession of a firearm by a felon and by a domestic violence misdemeanant; and a mail and wire fraud scheme involving the use of fake fingerprints.
United States Attorney David E. Nahmias said, "The evidence proved that Leist, with help from his wife, circumvented the gun laws that prohibit a convicted felon from possessing a firearm."

With a set of clean fingerprints and help from a co-conspirator, Leist lied to the Rockmart Police Department and the FBI so that he could acquire a badge and carry a gun despite his criminal past. In convicting Leist, the jury unequivocally condemned these criminal acts as unacceptable. The 20 year prison sentence speaks for itself.

I got this from Yahoo by the way just typed his name in google... So this is public info

LEIST was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison, to be followed by 5 years of supervised release

I have a little knowledge about this and that is all I am going to say about it. Lets just say I work for a Federal Prison...??? I am sure if Matt reads this post he will know who I am... DW neighbor.... Sorry I can't say more..
I got this from yahoo just typed his name in google, public info
Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

so long as you do your duty to the bes of your ability i'm sure all will be well
Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkin_smack1
I got this from yahoo just typed his name in google, public info
Thanks for the details! Very interesting.

[
Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hughes
I received this letter in the mail today and thought it was interesting enough to share it with you all. This is the entire letter, I've just removed certain names to protect the identity of his family.
It's great that Jed apparently has had a change of heart about the lawsuit. I think we can all wish him well and that Christ will impact his life. However, the whole progression of Jed's life seems a bit chaotic and unstable up to this point. Hate to say it; but does anyone know if he's really saved? The letter may be a front that Jed is using to maintain contact with Matt----kind of like a stalker-fan scenario.

The guy should do his time and, if he is sincere about believing in Christ, use the time to grow in the Lord in prison. There's nothing Hughes or anyone else unrelated to the guy can do for him except to pray. Jed probably needs to put MMA toward the bottom of his list of things to be interested in, and work on the great challenge of a born-again, Christian life.

Thankfully, Matt appears to have one less headache to worry about.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 AM

I wondered about that myself. Only he and God knows what's truly in his heart. It did "alarm" me a little to hear he is only 30 mins. up the road from Matt and his family.

I think we should all pray for him that he is sincere about turning his life around with Christ at the forefront, but I do think Matt should be "cautious".
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Hello Fred and welcome to the forum! That very well could be the scenario. One of my favorite passages in the Good Book is:

Matthew 10:16 - Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Often "Grace" is not balanced with wisdom and Christians get taken advantage of and end up over time embittered and isolated from trying to express their faith and getting burned. Wither this guy is saved or not is not for us to judge .. chaos and hitting rock bottom are often initiators of faith. You finally reach out for something greater then yourself or what other people can give you. I'm sure this guy will have just as much challenge in changing habitual patterns and thought processes he developed up to this point in his life just like the rest of us. He may have major emotional issues to work through. I think saying "prayer" is all any body but his relations can do is weak. If every Christian had that attitude then there would be a bunch of words going up but nothing really getting done. Christ spent His mornings praying and the rest of the day doing. With any ones actions and how they choose to respond to someone in need should be met with wisdom but still acted upon if that is the course that God puts in their heart to follow. I'm not pretending to offer any advice on any course of action here, but I don't think its as absolute as you stated below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
It's great that Jed apparently has had a change of heart about the lawsuit. I think we can all wish him well and that Christ will impact his life. However, the whole progression of Jed's life seems a bit chaotic and unstable up to this point. Hate to say it; but does anyone know if he's really saved? The letter may be a front that Jed is using to maintain contact with Matt----kind of like a stalker-fan scenario.

The guy should do his time and, if he is sincere about believing in Christ, use the time to grow in the Lord in prison. There's nothing Hughes or anyone else unrelated to the guy can do for him except to pray. Jed probably needs to put MMA toward the bottom of his list of things to be interested in, and work on the great challenge of a born-again, Christian life.

Thankfully, Matt appears to have one less headache to worry about.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-03-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 AM
Fred

I hear you, Boomer. I just think there are other people (including a Christian chaplain working at the prison, and fellow Christian inmates) who can reach out to the guy in tangible ways if he needs it. Obviously, Matt is going to make his own choice whether to reach out to the guy or not. It's none of my business. But, if it were my place to advise anyone in Matt's position, I would think the contact should be very limited.

Prayer is powerful, and sometimes just praying for someone can make all the difference in their lives. I hope the best for the guy's family, too.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
I hear you, Boomer.

Prayer is powerful, and sometimes just praying for someone can make all the difference in their lives. I hope the best for the guy's family, too.
HE HEARS ME!!!! You need to come back more often!!!

I didn't mean to underemphasis prayer at all and sometimes that is all you can do .. .and sometimes its all you're called to do in a situation. I just try to fight the "well I'll pray for you" attitude as an escape for any real forward movement in really getting in there and helping someone that you have the ability to help.

AANNNDD for the record ... I agree with your advice.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-03-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Stump Rules!

I'll pray for ya Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
HE HEARS ME!!!! You need to come back more often!!!

I didn't mean to underemphasis prayer at all and sometimes that is all you can do .. .and sometimes its all your are called to do in a situation. I just try to fight the "well I'll pray for you" attitude as an escape for any real forward movement in really getting in there and helping someone that you have the ability to help.

AANNNDD for the record ... I agree with your advice.

Thanks for posting.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-03-2009, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I'll pray for ya Boom

Dont I have a virtual restraining order against you .. you can't post within 3 posts of mine ...