Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
#1 and #3 I agree with..

Does that keep our streak going?

/Hannibal Lecter voice..."People will say we're in love."
Well, if you think that perfect games are NOT boring, then we actually agree on all 3.

I was being sarcastic to restate the point I have held to all along. That is, too many fans don't respect the entire scope of the sport, and only tend to focus on one or two aspects that are aesthetically pleasing.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,100
Default

I understand his position, afterall, it is HIS career. That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather see an exciting fighter lose, rather than a boring ass win. I'm much more likely to pay for a fighter I know will be leaving it all in the cage with a 15-10 record, vs one I know will be laying around half the match to keep his 13-3 record.

I can't count the times I've watch a fighter that I really like watching eek out a win that barely made it look like a fight at all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ok so the whole calender thing drew me into his website which drew me to his photos and seriously, the guys needs to get away from the white on black pinstripes. he wore the same dang suit to met a parliment member. i'm gonna have to email him on that.

as for his fighting smart comments, well he is smart to say hey this is how i fight, this is why, and it works so i'm going to stick with it. i mean that first m does mean mixed so fans should know they aren't going to see 15 minutes of standing in most fights.

i get ticked over boring fights (like when i person just runs from the other or guida who just hugs it out) too but i don't find gsp boring. i love watching him in hopes he gets ko'd.

both for those longing for action I'm sure you'll get enough of it saturday to hold you over for a while. wonder if we're gonna get to hear rashda's wife screaming like a justin bieber fan?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I understand his position, afterall, it is HIS career. That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather see an exciting fighter lose, rather than a boring ass win. I'm much more likely to pay for a fighter I know will be leaving it all in the cage with a 15-10 record, vs one I know will be laying around half the match to keep his 13-3 record.

I can't count the times I've watch a fighter that I really like watching eek out a win that barely made it look like a fight at all.
It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I don't see how a dominating performance is any more boring in MMA than it is in any other sport. Some people think the ground game is boring no matter what is happening. Personally, I like MMA as a whole and I don't get bent out of shape when a fighter uses a specific style, or his talents, to guarantee what is most important, and that is victory.

Guys who "leave it all in the cage" may be exciting to watch at times, but if they don't know how to rope it in and fight smart too, they can leave themselves exposed. There is nothing cool or exciting about getting knocked out, or especially LOSING.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My problem is the idiot Gsp fans who cheer his style, but the next ground fighter who comes along faces 15+ minutes of constant booing. They did it to Finch on the Gsp card, and they were even worse to Brock on the Gsp card. Even the Ref got in ont he action saying to be active as Brock is unloading on Mirs face.

I am finding his fights more an more lack luster
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I don't see how a dominating performance is any more boring in MMA than it is in any other sport. Some people think the ground game is boring no matter what is happening. Personally, I like MMA as a whole and I don't get bent out of shape when a fighter uses a specific style, or his talents, to guarantee what is most important, and that is victory.

Guys who "leave it all in the cage" may be exciting to watch at times, but if they don't know how to rope it in and fight smart too, they can leave themselves exposed. There is nothing cool or exciting about getting knocked out, or especially LOSING.
I just seems boring sometimes. I understand a lot about the fighting, and what you're saying. It's just hard to get excited sometimes when you think someone could be doing more, but they aren't because you KNOW they are playing it safe. Maybe, frustrating, is a good word for it. Things like that make me feel that my money wasn't spent well. Yea, he won, he played it safe, and fought smart. As a purchaser of the event, I have a particular taste in what I want to see that will entertain me. I don't pay for the fights so he gets paid to fight safe. Know what I mean?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I just seems boring sometimes. I understand a lot about the fighting, and what you're saying. It's just hard to get excited sometimes when you think someone could be doing more, but they aren't because you KNOW they are playing it safe. Maybe, frustrating, is a good word for it. Things like that make me feel that my money wasn't spent well. Yea, he won, he played it safe, and fought smart. As a purchaser of the event, I have a particular taste in what I want to see that will entertain me. I don't pay for the fights so he gets paid to fight safe. Know what I mean?
I know what you mean, but I just don't see it that way.

Only in the fight game are fans just as critical when an athlete wins as when he loses. Fans are always looking ahead to the next fight, and they always find a way to downplay a fighters performance, no matter how dominating they are. It's silly to me.

I pay a lot of money for Suns and Cardinals tickets and their merchandise, but when they have a streak of losing games, I don't start complaining about how much money I have spent. Notice, I said LOSING games, not games that they are winning but just not as impressively as I would like them to. I don't get mad when teams run the clock out, and I don't get mad when a fighter rides out a dominant performance to a decision victory.

If you feel you are only getting your money's worth when you see a guy "leave it all in the cage", I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe you would enjoy watching more of the smaller MMA orgs where all the fighters are trying their absolute hardest to make an impression with every fight. Thats not to say that guys don't try hard in the UFC, not by a long shot. It's just that guys at the top of the sport are going to typically be more well planned and calculated than the guys looking to break into the spotlight. Eventually, those fighters learn to be cautious too, because not being cautious in this sport can get you a one way trip to a picture perfect view of the rafters.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
I cant understand Matt Hughes fans who find GSP boring when they have such similiar styles. Some fans really contradict themselves!!!
1. How many fights did Matt go to decision as Champ?

2. How many has GSP?

Think before you open your trap, seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
1. How many fights did Matt go to decision as Champ?

2. How many has GSP?

Think before you open your trap, seriously.
Why does going to a decision automatically have to be considered boring? The more fans say that kind of stuff, the more it strengthens the argument that most fans don't care about the sport as much as they like seeing a game of rock-em sock-em robots.

Yes, when you average it, out Matt Hughes has less decisions over the span of 51 fights than GSP would likely have in the same amount of fights, but that's Matt Hughes. Matt is the best welterweight ever.

GSP only has 22 fights in his career at this point, and he has finished 18 of them. People who think he's a boring fighter are crazy in my opinion, but to each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You really can't compare Matt to Gsp. Hughes fights have always been the same since he first entered the octagon. He never switched it up to play it safe before or after a loss. He never played it safe to keep his title. Hughes went in there and grounded and pounded you out. Everyone says Gsp changed his style since the Serra fight, that knockout really is the cause of why Gsp is happy to just ride out a win then putting himself into harms way again.

I don't know what ticks me off bout Gsp these days, is it his fighting safe or is it the millions stroking his e-penis. Its the fans, the judges, Dana, even the ref seems to be getting in on the action meanwhile they hate on other fighters with a similar style or a fight that just seems to end a similar way to Gsp's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.