Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM
TDPARKASH

Default Business Side of Fighters

What does everyone think of fighter's viewing themselves as a business entity (i.e. in how they fight, fight's they accept, image portrayed etc).

I know someone like GSP get's dogged for his style, but i really think's himself as an asset first, fighter second. On the other hand, Diaz brothers (and as much as people hate them) really only care about fighting period.

Considering the compensation and lack of protection offered by MMA organizations for fighter's, I am sort of split on this topic?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Stump Rules!

I think they should think of themselves as a business.There is only a small window in a fighter's whole life that he or she can make money off of it.Unless you don't mind working at Arco or going back to some boring desk job () when your few fights are done instead of maybe opening your own gym, writing a book that people will actually buy, or do clinics and such.
On the flip side, some people just don't mind living hand to mouth and when there fight career is over they'll be Kimbo Slicing it at the backyard bbq's when no one will pay them

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
rearnakedchoke

GSP is going about it the right way ... MHR hit it on the head ... they only have a small window to show they are the best and with competition getting better, the better you are, the better chance that you have more sponsors/endorsments .. people can get mad at GSP for wanting to get the W first, but they aren't paying his grocery bill .....
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH View Post
What does everyone think of fighter's viewing themselves as a business entity (i.e. in how they fight, fight's they accept, image portrayed etc).

I know someone like GSP get's dogged for his style, but i really think's himself as an asset first, fighter second. On the other hand, Diaz brothers (and as much as people hate them) really only care about fighting period.

Considering the compensation and lack of protection offered by MMA organizations for fighter's, I am sort of split on this topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
I think they should think of themselves as a business.There is only a small window in a fighter's whole life that he or she can make money off of it.Unless you don't mind working at Arco or going back to some boring desk job () when your few fights are done instead of maybe opening your own gym, writing a book that people will actually buy, or do clinics and such.
On the flip side, some people just don't mind living hand to mouth and when there fight career is over they'll be Kimbo Slicing it at the backyard bbq's when no one will pay them
I agree with you completely. One piece of business advice I'd offer to GSP, though: better advertising for your brand. By this I mean: FINISH YOUR FIGHTS DECISIVELY & QUICKLY!!! As a fighter, the best way to advertise yourself is with a HL reel. If GSP went back to finishing guys instead of decisioning them, he'd become an even more marketable commodity.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I agree with you completely. One piece of business advice I'd offer to GSP, though: better advertising for your brand. By this I mean: FINISH YOUR FIGHTS DECISIVELY & QUICKLY!!! As a fighter, the best way to advertise yourself is with a HL reel. If GSP went back to finishing guys instead of decisioning them, he'd become an even more marketable commodity.
and buy a different suit than a navy pinstripe ...
Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
and buy a different suit than a navy pinstripe ...
Yeah, get something comepletely different: like a grey pinstripe!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Actually, the best way to market yourself as a fighter is by winning. Getting a KO is great, but it's just a bonus. Winning is top priority.

Hello? Floyd Mayweather anybody?

All the hardcore fans complain about him not finishing fights too, and then the mainstream eats him up. He's made more money in the last 5 years than most of us will see in 10 lifetimes.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 AM
philips4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Actually, the best way to market yourself as a fighter is by winning. Getting a KO is great, but it's just a bonus. Winning is top priority.
I agree. It needs to be a business, or a hobby, it can't be both. If it is their business they need to look down the road and make the best of their short window they have to make a living. It seems that the top fighters make a lot of money but what about in ten years? What about health insurance, retirement, etc. Unless they figure out a way for residual income they are going to have to take some job, learn a trade and jump back in the "normal" workforce. So many pro athletes make it big, spend it big, loose it big and are washed up by 35 or 40 with nothing. I agree that winning is important but I think that knowing how to market yourself is even more important. You can have the best product out there, be the best athlete, but if nobody knows about it you wont make a living with it. For athletes they have to know how to market themselves and make a plan to diversify and adapt. The money is in sponsors and advertising so if you are a winner but look terrible, sound like an idiot when you speak and don't know how to close the deal you wont get the contracts. When their career is over they either adapt (commentators, movies, tv, books, gyms, seminars, etc.) or become obsolete.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
I agree. It needs to be a business, or a hobby, it can't be both. If it is their business they need to look down the road and make the best of their short window they have to make a living. It seems that the top fighters make a lot of money but what about in ten years? What about health insurance, retirement, etc. Unless they figure out a way for residual income they are going to have to take some job, learn a trade and jump back in the "normal" workforce. So many pro athletes make it big, spend it big, loose it big and are washed up by 35 or 40 with nothing. I agree that winning is important but I think that knowing how to market yourself is even more important. You can have the best product out there, be the best athlete, but if nobody knows about it you wont make a living with it. For athletes they have to know how to market themselves and make a plan to diversify and adapt. The money is in sponsors and advertising so if you are a winner but look terrible, sound like an idiot when you speak and don't know how to close the deal you wont get the contracts. When their career is over they either adapt (commentators, movies, tv, books, gyms, seminars, etc.) or become obsolete.
I agree with what you said here. I have been saying that for a long time. It's why I have always been critical of the current model that MMA operates under, especially for the top guys in the sport.

However, what VCU said was that the most important thing for a fighter is a highlight reel, and that's not the case. Which is why I eluded to Floyd Mayweather. A fighter doesn't have to "finish" every single fight in order to build their resume and become very successful inside and outside of the ring. Ultimately, it is LOSING fights that will set a fighter back in their career, which is why winning the fights is the top priority. Same goes for any athlete in any sport. In Basketball, you play to win the NBA Championship, it doesn't matter if you win it in game 7 by 1 point, or if you win by sweeping the competition. You play to win.

Sure, you do need some other things outside of fighting skills when it comes to marketing, but ultimately it boils down to being a champion that keeps sponsors and advertisers around for athletes. Being the champion is equated with being the best in the business, and that will always sell, even if some champions are not as exciting as others.

Also, in the case of GSP, he is hardly having any problems handling his business. A couple of hard core fans being overly critical of a few fights isn't going to make or break a fighter at that level.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 AM
Stump Rules!

And of course looking all "GQ" helps to He's making a ton of money on his calendars.Have you seen those darn things? Plus, just being a real, nice guy will keep you some money spending fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
GSP is going about it the right way ... MHR hit it on the head ... they only have a small window to show they are the best and with competition getting better, the better you are, the better chance that you have more sponsors/endorsments .. people can get mad at GSP for wanting to get the W first, but they aren't paying his grocery bill .....

http://stumpdotcom.com/