Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Er, I meant the bull...

Neezar, I forced myself to go to HuffPo and saw the video before I sent it all to my husband so he could get grossed out at work.

actually, I thought the still were more horrifying than the video
I thought they were worse, too. The actual goring was a 3 second deal. That pic just keeps on giving it to him.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:39 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Er, I meant the bull...

Neezar, I forced myself to go to HuffPo and saw the video before I sent it all to my husband so he could get grossed out at work.

actually, I thought the stills were more horrifying than the video
Yeah but you were only clear on that the second time I read it.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I thought they were worse, too. The actual goring was a 3 second deal. That pic just keeps on giving it to him.

I hadn't thought of it that way but you nailed it!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, you cannot compare it to American Rodeos. Just take a look at the bulls they use for PBR!!! They are all well-fed and live a great life, on or off the circuit. Ditto for the broncs and calves.

Ever hear of Bodacious? He came close to killing a couple riders but instead of killing the bull, they retired him and put him out to stud. The cowboys he hurt have great admiration for him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SraIAmCL_ok

So please don't compare the deliberate, slow torture and ultimate killing of an animal with rodeo. There IS no comparison and it's an insult to riders/cowboys.
I thought that name sounded familiar, Flo. It was from a bio on Tuff Hedeman. Here is a little more on the famous Bodacious.

http://wacobelle.org/bodacious.htm

Bodacious, one of the greatest bucking bulls of all time, was inducted in the ProRodeo Hall Of Fame in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on August 14, 1999. Bodacious was the PRCA Bucking Bull of the year in 1994 and 1995; in addition to being named The Bucking Bull at the National Finals Rodeo in 1992, 1994 and 1995.

The 1,900-pound Charbray bull injured some of the most talented championship bull riders in the history of the sport. Tuff Hedemen,1995 PBR World Champion, was matched with Bodacious in the final round of the 1995 Professional Bull Riders world championships. Hedemen's face collided with the back of Bodacious' head, several jumps into the ride. The impact broke every bone in the cowboy's face between his upper lip and his eyebrows. Rebuilding his face took surgeons more than six hours and six titanium plates. The damage and swelling made him almost unrecognizable. At the National Finals Rodeo (NFR) later that year, Hedeman ended up drawing Bodacious again, this time in round 7 of the NFR. Hedeman decided to turn out the bull - getting off the bull when he left the chute. He then tipped his hat to the bull, and he received a standing ovation for his decision.

Men boarded Bodacious 135 times during the four years he competed, and fewer than 10 riders managed to hang on for the entire eight seconds necessary to enter the books as an official ride. Two of them, Clint Branger and Bubba Dunn, did it twice. World champions Hedeman and Terry Don West rode him twice. Bodacious was owned by stock contractor, Sammy Andrews of Texas. Andrews retired Bodacious from competition in 1995; and Bodacious died in 2000 of natural causes at the age of 12.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I always root for the bulls in these, so this is cool to see.

However, I do not believe that it is in any way comparable to American rodeos, since the goal there is not to kill or torture the animal.
I guess having a strap pulled super tight under your ribcage causing you to buck due to the extreme pain is all fluffy cuddle bunnies.

Quote:
Yes, you cannot compare it to American Rodeos. Just take a look at the bulls they use for PBR!!! They are all well-fed and live a great life, on or off the circuit. Ditto for the broncs and calves.

Ever hear of Bodacious? He came close to killing a couple riders but instead of killing the bull, they retired him and put him out to stud. The cowboys he hurt have great admiration for him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SraIAmCL_ok

So please don't compare the deliberate, slow torture and ultimate killing of an animal with rodeo. There IS no comparison and it's an insult to riders/cowboys.
The mistreatment of animals for human entertainment at rodeos is deplorable. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

http://animals.change.org/blog/view/...h_bullfighting

http://www.sharkonline.org/?P=0000000853

http://www.sharkonline.org/?P=0000000349

http://www.idausa.org/facts/rodeos.html
Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 AM

Yup, agree to disagree.

Bonnie, isn't that amazing? I saw a special on TNT about him, he was one ornery bull!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 AM

For Buzzard's enlightenment :-)

Quote:
Bucking, jumping and kicking is a inborn ability that bulls exhibit naturally. All rodeo bulls, when first introduced to a rider, naturally want to get this lump of weight off of their backs, and who can blame them?

While nothing is done to 'make' the bulls buck, there are ways to encourage this ability and give the animal incentive to buck as hard and effectively as possible. This is accomplished by the use of a specially designed device known as the flank strap.

Despite what you hear from certain 'animal rights' activists, this strap does not induce pain, it works off of pressure, just like a lead chain for a dog or a bit in a saddle horses mouth. In fact the flank strap is tightened in the same way you cinch a girth on a riding saddle, except that the flank has a quick release. Nothing is done to intentionally hurt the bucking stock.

This includes binding of testicles (a popular lie spread by certain groups against rodeo), drugging, beating, burning, etc.

After the ride is over the bull usually stops bucking, as the riders weight is gone.

These animals are the life blood of the stock contractors business and the rodeo cowboys livelihood. It is in the best interest of everyone that these animals are protected. Rodeo is a dangerous sport and accidents do happen, but there are more rules in place governing the safety of the livestock than the competitors themselves.

Most of the propaganda against rodeo is spread by the misunderstanding of these simple facts. Most people who are vehemently opposed to rodeo really don't know anything about it or animals for that matter. Cowboys and cowgirls understand the power of bucking bulls and a mutual respect develops between the animals and competitors
Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 AM

Although, Buzzard, I totally agree with you about the mistreatment of animals for human entertainment.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

REDEO'S ARE HORRIBLE & RIDICULOUS. WATCHING IT IS LIKE WATCHING BULL COCKFIGHTING!

can I have your vote for President?