Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I would have a hard time calling what they did stupid. I personally have no feelings regarding the issue of slavery and have no idea if my family was part of it or not. I wouldn't care one way or the other.

However... if reconnecting and having a dinner or become friends brings some peace or closure to some people it's not my place to speak out against it. I certainly see no harm in it.
I agree with this.

I don't know and don't care about my roots when it comes to slavery.

Whats done is done, but if discussing it can bring people together in a positive way, then I am all for it.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Chuck

Its dumb....Why?
I don't see a point in it.....It was just a shared meal...
I am sick and tired of being portrayed as a victimizer simply because I'm white.....Did you get that impression out of this article???
this is stupid......Why?
whats wrong with these people?....Who are "these" people? Remember it was the white woman who asked for the meeting.
Get over it and move the funk on!...... Get over what????
This whole thing is just ridiculous.........What "thing" is ridiculous? People having dinner together?

I have now read and reread that article 4 times and I have no idea what you all are commenting on. What did you all read in this article that's got you so worked up???

It's like you're all channeling the Spirit of Dave and reading 1 thing and then reacting to something that's not even there.........

I'm not trying to attack any of you nor am I trying to start an argument. My questions above in blue are sincere. I truly don't understand what you read in this article that initiated those responses....
Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Its dumb....Why?
I don't see a point in it.....It was just a shared meal...
I am sick and tired of being portrayed as a victimizer simply because I'm white.....Did you get that impression out of this article???
this is stupid......Why?
whats wrong with these people?....Who are "these" people? Remember it was the white woman who asked for the meeting.
Get over it and move the funk on!...... Get over what????
This whole thing is just ridiculous.........What "thing" is ridiculous? People having dinner together?

I have now read and reread that article 4 times and I have no idea what you all are commenting on. What did you all read in this article that's got you so worked up???

It's like you're all channeling the Spirit of Dave and reading 1 thing and then reacting to something that's not even there.........

I'm not trying to attack any of you nor am I trying to start an argument. My questions above in blue are sincere. I truly don't understand what you read in this article that initiated those responses....
Nobody is channeling the spirit of Dave...

I absolutely agree with you on this one Chuck, but I also completely understand where everybody else is coming from when they basically say they are sick and tired of hearing about it.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-21-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I fact-check myself, ChrisF, you don't need to worry on that score. But just to be polite ~

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/1860_cens…
The Civil War Home Page
Results from the 1860 Census
Slaves: 3,950,528
Slaveholders: 393,975

http://www.civilwarhome.com/casualties.h…
The Price in Blood!
Casualties in the Civil War

The Union armies had from 2,500,000 to 2,750,000 men. Their losses, by the best estimates...
Total 360,222
The census does not really tell us why one fought the war. Most journal and diaries we have prove the North had no desire to fight for the ending of slavery. Maybe I miss understood you but there is no primary source out there that would say that many fought ot end slavery that was not added to text books till the civil rights era.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
"Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin." (Deut. 24:16)

Slavery has existed for thousands of years and was pretty much just a fact of life back in Biblical times. However, it was not the institution that we think of today as slavery. Most forms of slavery were temporary and existed to allow the slaves to pay off debt (making todays' credit card industry the modern equivalent of slavery). Many people were also slaves by choice because they had served their masters for years and were released, but chose to stay in slavery to that master out of love.

It wasn't until Darwin's book, The Origin of Species, that slavery became a race issue. That's when the idea that some races were "sub-human" and were destined to serve (or be exterminated by) the "more evolved" races, was endorsed by the scientific community of the time.

So, the institution of slavery during George Washington's day was not the same institution that existed in Abraham Lincoln's day.
NateR thats to deep for most. People want to believe what their football coaches taught them and what the History Channel says
Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Garandshooter

[QUOTE=NateR;117661]"Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin." (Deut. 24:16)

being guilty of, and suffering the consequences of, are different matters. God may not hold me individually accountable for the sins of my community, but I do sometimes suffer the consequence. So we could change my original thought to, we suffer the conequences for what generations before us have done.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 AM

my ancestors freed the slaves, i think kobe and lebron need to be passing some dough my way

white people enslaved em but white people freed em too.

and btw fyi, white people went over to africa and bought them from black people, because one african tribe would go out conquer and enslave another tribe then sell them to whitey, so it's not our fault.

think about it, which is easier, sail halfway across the world and conquer and capture----without killing mind you--- a bunch of people that are .... let's face it... more atheletic but not as smart as you are ....on their own home turf!!!! OR stay at home and do your own work....

how many slaves do you think the forefathers actually captured themselves????
Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
my ancestors freed the slaves, i think kobe and lebron need to be passing some dough my way

white people enslaved em but white people freed em too.

and btw fyi, white people went over to africa and bought them from black people, because one african tribe would go out conquer and enslave another tribe then sell them to whitey, so it's not our fault.

think about it, which is easier, sail halfway across the world and conquer and capture----without killing mind you--- a bunch of people that are .... let's face it... more atheletic but not as smart as you are ....on their own home turf!!!! OR stay at home and do your own work....

how many slaves do you think the forefathers actually captured themselves????
Well...it's not any of OUR fault because none of us were alive.

However if you are trying to suggest that it's somehow okay to buy slaves if the people that are being sold are being sold by other people of their own race, then I have to adamantly disagree.

Kobe and Lebron don't owe you anything, even if you happen to be a Lakers or a Cavs fan. Kobe and Lebron are true examples of capitalism and the American dream.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Oddtodd76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
My thoughts .............. Niether one of these people had anything to do with slavery. the one was not a slave , and the second never owned a slave. I dont see the point in having dinner . Pretty dumb in my opinion but thats just me.

My Grandfather fought in WWII , that does not make me a soldier , it doesnt make me a military anything , Im sure he put a few bullets into more than a few japs. So does that mean i should go find ole Ping Pong living in tokyo and sit down and have coffee ? uhmmmmm no

To that i say " Hey , guess what , it wasnt me , im not taking fault for it . " its like saying we need to go find any living relatives of adolf hitler and make them pay for his screw ups .

Its dumb.
hahahahaha...i haven't got a chance to check the forum lately...this was the first post i popped open. That made my day right off the bat!
Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well...it's not any of OUR fault because none of us were alive.

However if you are trying to suggest that it's somehow okay to buy slaves if the people that are being sold are being sold by other people of their own race, then I have to adamantly disagree.

Kobe and Lebron don't owe you anything, even if you happen to be a Lakers or a Cavs fan. Kobe and Lebron are true examples of capitalism and the American dream.

HERE HERE!!!!

I concur

it was tongue in cheek, merely following their logic and letting it run the course to the end of an idea, not just picking and choosing the points i wanted to make with said logic.

but the question remains..... if white people owe blacks or indians something for past sins, then why don't they owe the people who freed them something?