Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
TheConcretekid

Sometimes the material can make a difference in colo(u)r... but normally the only evidence of this is a gi that is off-white vs white
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
At my kids' dojang the color of the gi signifies which program you are in. For the regular class they have an all white gi. For black belt club it is all white with a black collar. Then there is a leadership class that grooms a select few to be leaders in the dojang, helping teach classes, running errands, doing the warm up, etc. and they wear blue with Leadership embroidered across the back. The assistant instructors wear a red gi. SabumNim wears a black gi and so does KwanJaNim. (sp?) Those are the 2 head, master instructors.

~Amy
Sounds like a sweet money maker.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
Was thinking the same thing
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

I was wondering if the different colours of Gi actually mean anything, or are just for aesthetic purpose. I mean, the Belt Colours symbolise rank, but I've seen different coloured Gi aswell...I wonder if they symbolise anything...Everyone has seen white...but I've seen a sorta brownish/black, a verrrrrra dark green and a blue one also.

Are these reflective of different Martial Arts? or also used in conjunction with rank?

or are they just to make the fighter look...er...more colourful.

Sorry for the dumbass question...but when I asked Jeff Curran he never answered me

Some martial arts don't care about your gi. At my dojo, you wear a white gi for the first year.We offer a free 10oz white gi when you sign up for the free trial. After you make green belt, you are able to wear colored a gi.

My colored gi.. school colors are red/black

Our BJJ gi's are blue.. just for the fun... and they are not dojo affiliated, mine is like wearing a shag carpet...

I wear a black gi for Shuri -Te Jitsu and when the white and red and black gi are dirty.

For balintawak.. no gi is required...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 AM
County Mike

Damn Spirit! You have a lot of Gis. I only three. One for Karate and two for Jiu Jitsu. Karate was a long time ago but I still have the Gi.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Damn Spirit! You have a lot of Gis. I only three. One for Karate and two for Jiu Jitsu. Karate was a long time ago but I still have the Gi.
I actually have two more...

I have my basic gi that I dyed black.. and my competition gi.. it is a 16 oz white gi, that sucker POPs when doing kata...

I just acquire them. I needed a few when I started teaching.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The white ones cost the students, the colored ones are awarded. Leadership kids are picked out of the class by the instructors and are then given an extra class a week and are required to assist in at least one lower class a week. The red gis are for assistant instructors and it's a paid position. Although you could implement it so that the students pay for their all of their gis and then make some good money off of it.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Some martial arts don't care about your gi. At my dojo, you wear a white gi for the first year.We offer a free 10oz white gi when you sign up for the free trial. After you make green belt, you are able to wear colored a gi.

Our BJJ gi's are blue.. just for the fun... and they are not dojo affiliated, mine is like wearing a shag carpet...

I wear a black gi for Shuri -Te Jitsu and when the white and red and black gi are dirty.

Any excuse to post a few pictures of yourself eh brother
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker

Yes thats the sorta thing I was talking about! Your Collection is missing one though...the dark green.

I'll try and find a picture of one
Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM

wow.. I do look beat down in those pictures. Was exhausted. Mondays are huge days in the dojo for me.