Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Yeah, that's it!

not

OK, PTM, where else do you post and under what nick?
I lurk, but I don't post anywhere else.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I've been intrigued by some of the TV shows where they take a beat up old jalopy and restore it to beautiful condition. I know very little about cars but I love the shape of some of the late 60's American convertibles - for example '69 Olds Cutlass Convertible. I am tempted to buy a restored one or buy a beat-up one and hire someone to restore it. In your opinion, what are the top-5 late '60's/ early 70's convertibles?
Ive been thinking about picking this one up . It was priced to me for $1000. Which is a pretty good price for a vert cutlass

TO be honest ive never really been to fond of convertables unless its a first or second generation or blazer ha ha. As far as what i like in old cars , after 69 there wasnt a whole bunch that looked very good unless you stick with the muscle cars. Im pretty fond of the 68-69 GTO's , the 66-67 Novas , The late 60's early 70's Dodge Challengers and 68-69 Chargers, 65-66 Impalas the 68 and 69 Camaros and any vette pre 68 , Chevelles have never really done that much for me , I know the 70 ls6 was the quintessential muscle car but ive never had much of a liking for them styling wise. The styling in cars really started dying about 1961 , im more of a 60 on back car guy lol. A 58 chevy impala is almost impossible to beat when it comes to styling , that car was amazing and gets overshadowed quite a bit because of the popularity of the 55-57's But a 55 chevy will still always be my favorite car of all times.

Ford has never produced anything that gets me excited after about 1936 . Im a big fan of the Model A fords and the 32 5 window coupe.

You want a good lookin converitble ? 58 impala all the way .. But thats just my taste

Last edited by Mac; 05-18-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM

How much do you think it would cost to turn something like this:

Into something like this?:

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Mac

To be honest . if your not wanting to do the work yourself . You are WAYYY better off to buy one finished or alot closer than the one i posted. Now if your on a tight budget , and you dont mind not completing the project for 4 or so years than the old one is the way to go .

It all depends , you could have 15-20,000 in it without the blink of an eye , and thats mostly parts not figuring on the labor to do the work , Thats just you doing the work yourself.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 AM
surveyorshawn

I have posted on sherdog in the past, but not really since I started posting here. Lot's of 12 year old keyboard warriors on there. I also post on rpls.com (a site for professional surveyors) under my real name and on a couple of hunting sites for Mississippi. Other than that, I post a fair amount on facebook.
I have lots of pics of Benaiah on there!! Lol
Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Garandshooter

ar15.com but mostly to ask questions of more experienced people. Other than that just here, but mostly lurk and laugh.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 AM

The cutlass body looks really good. Isn't that a huge advantage for restoration?

PTM, do you ever watch Mecum Auctions on Discovery? They hold auctions all over the country.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
ar15.com but mostly to ask questions of more experienced people. Other than that just here, but mostly lurk and laugh.
I had to google ar15.com, I had no clue what that meant.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
The cutlass body looks really good. Isn't that a huge advantage for restoration?

PTM, do you ever watch Mecum Auctions on Discovery? They hold auctions all over the country.
I had never heard of it until your post. I saw a few episodes of a show called "Overhaulin'" on TLC/Discovery. I am not a big car nut - there is just something about the classic lines of some late '60's convertibles that I like. If I ever get serious about buying one, maybe I'll check out Mecum Auctions.