Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Maybe the kids a jerk and deserved to get dumped.
For your brother and your team to walk out on you.. yeah.. that makes more sense than them just wanting to toss him out of the nest.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Stump Rules!

After reading that...my 2 cents...I think he should have stayed with him and when he lost and the UFC quits calling then that's that. His job as a trainer for his brother would be over and no one could ever tell him " you didn't" for your brother and that's why his fight career is over.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
After reading that...my 2 cents...I think he should have stayed with him and when he lost and the UFC quits calling then that's that. His job as a trainer for his brother would be over and no one could ever tell him " you didn't" for your brother and that's why his fight career is over.
Exactly.
I don't care what you did, I would see you through your fight.
Let alone if you were y brother.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Stump Rules!

Then when he loses punch him and tell him " I told you so"

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Something must have happened for both a coach and a brother to turn their backs on you 2 weeks before a fight. IT also speaks volumes for the type of character they are to do that to Dan as well, If there was a problem bite the bullet til his fight is done.Total lack of professionalism on their part.
Yeah, that's pretty lousy of them. I don't really understand this:

Quote:
"The Upgrade" contends that he was holding up his end of the bargain after Team Lauzon issued him an ultimatum about his training schedule.
Sounds kind of like double talk to me but then I may by having a dense moment...

I hope he goes and wins bigtime.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Sorry, but I still dont understand why you would dump him BEFORE a fight. You can always refuse to train him after, or ever again...but before...when you've started a training camp, to then cut it is giving him mixed messages whether he's messing around or not.

If you start a task you see it through to completition. once its done you can refuse, but to refuse beforehand...How will Joe feel now if Dan gets seriously hurt in the fight??

I can empathise that Dan might not be pulling his weight, I can understand that, I'm probably not disputing that. What I am disputing is the fact that rather then be professional about this, and carry him through, for his own safety, and to avoid bad press which you might not so easily be able to eradicate...you see him through the few more weeks to the fight...which wont be difficult if he's never really there...and then you tell him you've had enough.

You should make allowances because he is family...not forever, but you certainly dont dump him the way you might some jackass you dont know...for this reason...he goes to the press and makes YOU look like a sod....and because Family is different from friends...like it or not...it is.

The problem now also is that You've just legitamized him if he should win. If he wins he will turn round and make you look stupid, and people will say that you must have lied because otherwise how did he manage to gain the skills to win. Wheras had you dumped him afterwards, you wouldnt, possibly be reinforcing bad circumstantial behaviour.

The Second Problem is that if he looses, you've just given him the perfect excuse, and if he is like you claim, thats exactly what he will do. He will blame you, and a Loss on a record can not ever be reversed.

The Third Problem is if he gets really hurt, and could have avoided it using your expertese.

None of the above, plus the bad press would have been an issue if you had waited just a couple of weeks, be it 6 or 2. Now you shall have to live with an outcome probably beyond your control, and it WILL reflect back on you. My issue is, I bet you never even considered the ideas above before you dumped him. You were thinking about either your self and gym only...or Dan only, but assuming that both exist in a protected vaccum away from something called the general public.

Why does noone ever think about the repuccusions in the public sphere...I promise you that this result now, could have a worse impact on YOUR gym and furture career, then it would have you or Dan, had you waited for the opportune moment (like, the day after his fight)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

You actually wrote that to Joe or someone on the team?

dude, you have no idea what could be going on. There may be personal issues going on.. there may be family issues, and you tell him to make allowances cause he is family???

wow. And people call Me arrogant.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe.. JUST maybe.. you don't know everything that is going on??? That maybe .. just MAYBE... "allowances" have been going on for awhile.

I won't go through and pick your email apart line by line.. but..

The W/L record can always be changed.. it's not easy.. but it can happen.

You sit there and lecture someone and you don't even know why this is happening.. and even if you did.. still not your place.

Then you go on to talk about family being different than friends..

Tyburn... Dave.. whatever.. that was a totaly "tool" thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Sorry, but I still dont understand why you would dump him BEFORE a fight. You can always refuse to train him after, or ever again...but before...when you've started a training camp, to then cut it is giving him mixed messages whether he's messing around or not.

If you start a task you see it through to completition. once its done you can refuse, but to refuse beforehand...How will Joe feel now if Dan gets seriously hurt in the fight??

I can empathise that Dan might not be pulling his weight, I can understand that, I'm probably not disputing that. What I am disputing is the fact that rather then be professional about this, and carry him through, for his own safety, and to avoid bad press which you might not so easily be able to eradicate...you see him through the few more weeks to the fight...which wont be difficult if he's never really there...and then you tell him you've had enough.

You should make allowances because he is family...not forever, but you certainly dont dump him the way you might some jackass you dont know...for this reason...he goes to the press and makes YOU look like a sod....and because Family is different from friends...like it or not...it is.

The problem now also is that You've just legitamized him if he should win. If he wins he will turn round and make you look stupid, and people will say that you must have lied because otherwise how did he manage to gain the skills to win. Wheras had you dumped him afterwards, you wouldnt, possibly be reinforcing bad circumstantial behaviour.

The Second Problem is that if he looses, you've just given him the perfect excuse, and if he is like you claim, thats exactly what he will do. He will blame you, and a Loss on a record can not ever be reversed.

The Third Problem is if he gets really hurt, and could have avoided it using your expertese.

None of the above, plus the bad press would have been an issue if you had waited just a couple of weeks, be it 6 or 2. Now you shall have to live with an outcome probably beyond your control, and it WILL reflect back on you. My issue is, I bet you never even considered the ideas above before you dumped him. You were thinking about either your self and gym only...or Dan only, but assuming that both exist in a protected vaccum away from something called the general public.

Why does noone ever think about the repuccusions in the public sphere...I promise you that this result now, could have a worse impact on YOUR gym and furture career, then it would have you or Dan, had you waited for the opportune moment (like, the day after his fight)
Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

It's not going to be Joe's fault if Dan gets hurt in the cage. Injuries can happen to any fighter, in any fight, regardless of how much time you spend in training camp. If Dan were to get hurt due to his lack of preparation, he can't blame anybody but himself. I also have to agree with Spiritwalker. Assuming this is a message you actually sent to the camp, it's out of your place to say a lot of those things when you are not personally connected to the situation.

It's silly for you to suggest to these people that they were not thinking of how their actions would play out in the public. These people have to deal with the public's opinion on a rather regular basis given the nature of the business and for somebody who has a very limited scope in their view of the situation to come along and trash them is laughable at best. I mean seriously, I can understand when somebody makes a statement like that about a politician who gets caught snorting coke, or Tiger Woods after like the 10th prostitute, but to these guys? What makes you think this story is something that anybody will even care about a year from now, or even six months from now? Family members and training camps have falling outs all the time, it's part of life.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-17-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
You actually wrote that to Joe or someone on the team?

dude, you have no idea what could be going on. There may be personal issues going on.. there may be family issues, and you tell him to make allowances cause he is family???

wow. And people call Me arrogant.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe.. JUST maybe.. you don't know everything that is going on??? That maybe .. just MAYBE... "allowances" have been going on for awhile.

I won't go through and pick your email apart line by line.. but..

The W/L record can always be changed.. it's not easy.. but it can happen.

You sit there and lecture someone and you don't even know why this is happening.. and even if you did.. still not your place.

Then you go on to talk about family being different than friends..

Tyburn... Dave.. whatever.. that was a totaly "tool" thing to do.
I didnt write that to him. I simply posted it here...I told you what I wrote to him. It was simply a question if he cared to put his side of the story forward, and he seems to have done that already.

Trust you to jump to a horrible conclusion
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I also have to agree with Spiritwalker. Assuming this is a message you actually sent to the camp, it's out of your place to say a lot of those things when you are not personally connected to the situation.
Well thats a BIG assumption, thats wholly false

If Dan were to get seriously hurt because someone has not given him preparation that he needs (after already starting a camp) then I think they ultimately do shoulder some of the responsibility. Secondly...I outlined exactly how the camp could have avoided any repuccusions beyond the action itself...how is it that I can think of that and people who have day to day contact with the public sphere cant??? Its not rocket science JB...perhaps they didnt think he would go blabbing to the press...but thats something that doesnt exist in the British Psyche I'm afraid...we all know, if you actually want public pressure, you have to take it to the public.

The Press is used in England as a Giant Pressure machine on Businesses and insitutions and Government that would seek to do something wrong, or upset people, and assume that they will sit down, shut up, and live with it. Well, in this country, you cant get away with that. I admit if that point wasnt realized by the camp...then fair enough...but I would definately have factored that in. Even if Joe is wholly right and just. I would have asked myself, is it worth putting up with Dan a few weeks more, to lessen the impact should he decide to air his dirty laundry in public. I would have chosen YES...then we would have a boring thread in about three weeks time that says the Lauzon Brothers had split training with each other...We wouldnt have "He dumped me when I needed him most" shyte, which attracts unwanted attention if you happen to be Joe Lauzon.