Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 AM
3dlee

Default How Matt has influenced the current WW landscape

I was reading on another forum just a second ago about a lot of the current top ww's in the ufc. Other than MH, you got GSP, KOS, and Fitch. All 3 of these guys have taken such a big part of their game from Matt. GSP started improving his wrestling to such great heights after his loss to Matt. I dare say that Matt Hughes is to wrestling and mma as what Royce Gracie is to jiu jitsu and mma (except matt's still relavent in mma It looks to me like every welterweight coming up that wants to stand a chance has to incorporate Matt's aggressive wrestling style and submissions. I personally think that its a shame that Kos is a douche because Matt could really train that guy to be a champ with their similar styles.

thoughts?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile

Because Matt was King for such a lengthy period of time, it has taken the next generation, quite literally years to overcome him. In order to achieve this they have to study him, his intricacies and develope either counters...or in some way resist his abilities.

The Champions we have to day are at a higher then usual level of skill because the person sat on the Throne dedicated much of his early career to matching and beating Matt Hughes...Hughes now sets the benchmark and has forced whoever is his successor to be of the same or similar level of skill...the higher the champions level of skill, the higher the next one will be because they have to reach the same level to compete.

You tend to see that with a dominant Champion two distinct repuccusions in the division. Firstly, not many will be left standing. The level for contendership is eaisly defined because very, very few have what it takes, the rest get pruned into obscurity so much there is practically a minor league of welterweights...and now Lightweights also

The second thing is that those who do rise to the occasion must be equal to or greater than, in order to succeed, and being that they may be set for equally long reigns.

Usually only one things breaks this, the accidental disposition of the Champion AND no real contenders to replace him...then you will see the tallent level plummet, and the belt will not rest with a King until its sought out and established a new Dynasty

The worry for all those present, must be that Hughes hasnt actually gone yet. In the British Political System its like what happens to Former Prime Ministers...they dont dissapear, they take their seats in the House of Lords, where they, silently, have immense publically unseen powers...and Matt must be like that. The others have got to know that he's been around, that the management like and trust him, thats got to be kinda intimidating...You know in MMA its usually more like the second one King is disposed people are calling for retirement...whereas Georges may have beaten Hughes, and gained the crown...but Hughes is still a major attraction in the division....Looking back...Hughes did not have to really contend, whilst King, with his predecessors litterally watching him and being relevent enough to cast comment and criticism, and maybe even run for a Rule again....you dont see Carlos Newton still around, You dont see Patrick Miletich still around...but for Saint Pierre...Matt Hughes...nearly half a decade later is STILL around. I hope the psychology of that is still pushing Georges to improve...the thought that...in some way, he hasnt actually finished Matt Hughes, and until Matt retires permanantly, his presence on the divisional roster is enough to, in a sense, keep the memory and impression of his Regnum ever present, inspiring growth and forcing skill standards...these people may have taken the Gold...but they havent actually equalled Hughes yet...and how can they hope to...Hughes hasnt even finished yet...the case is not closed.

Hughes dominance whilst diminished, hasnt strictly speaken been cast aside yet. He's not only still fighting, but he's still getting promotion for grudge matches between camps so to speak. He's still acitve, still known, still getting air time. In a very true and real sense, no other UFC Welterweight, contender, or champion, can sleep soundly in their beds whilst Matt Hughes is still a prowling in the cage
Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 PM
3dlee

Wow bro. On another forum Im on, you give people rep points for making good posts. If there were possible here, I would give you tons of rep for being the first person to so masterfully compare MMA to the English political system and monarchy, and while Ive never spent a day of my life really researching the current english system nor have I spent any time actually in Europe at all, I completely understand what you mean and your analogoies are top notch! Kudos, Dave, kudos!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
Wow bro. On another forum Im on, you give people rep points for making good posts. If there were possible here, I would give you tons of rep for being the first person to so masterfully compare MMA to the English political system and monarchy, and while Ive never spent a day of my life really researching the current english system nor have I spent any time actually in Europe at all, I completely understand what you mean and your analogoies are top notch! Kudos, Dave, kudos!
thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Blade

Or to cut a long story short, Matt Hughes = the Queen, GSP = Prince Charles? Haha.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I think Matt Hughes has screwed up the WW landscape of the UFC royalty. Why?

Cause the standard he set as a reigning champ will not be broken in a LONG time...

Cause WHENEVER his standard is broken.. they will still be less of being "DaMan" as Matt Hughes...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
I totally agree, great analysis, Dave.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

sometimes I just get carried away
Old 05-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Or to cut a long story short, Matt Hughes = the Queen, GSP = Prince Charles? Haha.

YES