Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
I say nate would take maia because if you look at the ed herman fight, most people count him as a b level fighter with good bjj and he was able to give him problems and get some good gnp in. so if you take a A level fighter with great bjj and and strikeing that went from a c- to an A-/A I just see him not being able to take nate down and if he does a little bit of gnp than stand up and own him on his feet. sonnon lost becuse he seemed content rolling with him
Ehh Sonnen did not lose because he seemed content rolling,
Sonnen got swept because he was pinned against the cage, then got put in a slick triangle.

They weren't rolling when the action started.
Also, Herman was only his second UFC fight, and he finished him before the end of the second.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Krupp

I don't see how anyone can put Nate ahead of Maia in the title picture. Marquardt has only won two fights in a row now; he couldn't even handle Leites. Maia's won five straight, and he's finished every single one of them. To even consider Nate better than Maia is just stupid.

I think Maia would beat him, straight up. How, I don't know, but either by decision or submission for sure. Nate's good, but I don't think he's ready to fight for a title yet. If he was to beat Maia or someone similar, then maybe I'd give him one. He hasn't done enough in my opinion.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:03 AM
atomdanger

I've felt Nate was over rated since he came to the UFC.

He won 4 fights to get his title shot,
The only one he managed to finish was Crafton Wallace.

I don't know why everybody felt he was going to be the guy to topple Silva.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
GroundNPound

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Nate has 2 wins since his last lost.
I don't care if the loss was by points, it was a loss fair and square.
He fought dirty, he paid the price.

Maia is 5 - 0 in the UFC, with 5 impressive submission wins.

It isn't like Nate's fight with Anderson was a war, or super close or something,
I don't see why people think he deserves a shot before Maia.
But who has Maia fought? He needs to fight a top fighter first.

Let Nate and Maia fight and winner gets the shot.

I think Nate TKOs him BTW.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

There's no doubt that Maia's BJJ is one of the best in the world, and probably the best of all MW's in the world, but to get a shot at Silva, he needs to beat a top 10. IMO, Nate vs. Maia, winner faces Yushin Okami, that winner gets Silva.

EDIT, just found out that Okami gets the winner of Silva/Leites.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Krupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
There's no doubt that Maia's BJJ is one of the best in the world, and probably the best of all MW's in the world, but to get a shot at Silva, he needs to beat a top 10. IMO, Nate vs. Maia, winner faces Yushin Okami, that winner gets Silva.

EDIT, just found out that Okami gets the winner of Silva/Leites.
Why? When was the last time Okami fought, against Tanner? Seriously? This is dumb. I'd rather Nate fights Silva than Okami right now, but Maia has dibs before either of those two.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
Why? When was the last time Okami fought, against Tanner? Seriously? This is dumb. I'd rather Nate fights Silva than Okami right now, but Maia has dibs before either of those two.
Okami was supposed to fight Silva at UFC 90, but broke his hand during training, that's why Cote was given the shot. Okami fought at UFC 92 and with that victory, was guaranteed a title shot by Dana.

Okami is 7-1 in the UFC with his only loss being a decision to Rich Franklin. He has since won 3 fights in a row.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM

And dont forget, they need opponents for Anderson, make them all fight eachother and the'll only be one option left!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
I don't see how anyone can put Nate ahead of Maia in the title picture. Marquardt has only won two fights in a row now; he couldn't even handle Leites. Maia's won five straight, and he's finished every single one of them. To even consider Nate better than Maia is just stupid.

I think Maia would beat him, straight up. How, I don't know, but either by decision or submission for sure. Nate's good, but I don't think he's ready to fight for a title yet. If he was to beat Maia or someone similar, then maybe I'd give him one. He hasn't done enough in my opinion.
I NEVER SAID THAT I only put nat ahead of maia if they fight GOD!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundNPound
But who has Maia fought? He needs to fight a top fighter first.

Let Nate and Maia fight and winner gets the shot.

I think Nate TKOs him BTW.
thank you that is why I brought ed herman up becuse most people dont think much about him and he realy gave him problems and nate quarry was the best person he has fought and thats just a bad match up for nate.