Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
The averege lay person does not relaize that most their beliefs come from John Calvin.
I would disagree with that. It just sounds like what one denomination teaches when they try to put down another denomination. My dad was an ordained Baptist minister and he always taught directly out of the Bible. Besides, the Baptist denomination existed long before Calvin was even born.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I would disagree with that. It just sounds like what one denomination teaches when they try to put down another denomination. My dad was an ordained Baptist minister and he always taught directly out of the Bible. Besides, the Baptist denomination existed long before Calvin was even born.
The baptist denomination has not been around longer. Where on earth did you get that. Calvin was one of the reformers. The denomination of Baptist is not even the oldest in America. Please cite your source for that. Also are you telling me none of the baptist beliefs were first introduced by Calvin? I think you are sadly mistaken but of course you are free to your opinion. The Tulip is core to all branches of Baptist theology. Just take a look at all the seminary curriculums. BTW I did not not infer like oyu think that their preaching was any less biblical. But just like any other denomination (mine included) they at times use the teaching of man to justify their dogmas. We already went over this in another thread so I will not bring up here but many parts of the tulip are not based in scripture w/o proof texting.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Rev

I hope this doesnt turn into another denomination war. lol
I have close friends who are ministers from alomst all Christian denominations and most of us agree that none of us have it 100%(I feel like I am closer than some and constantly preach to my congregation that I dont back all of the baptist beliefes and traditions.)

I do believe that people are healed in Jesus' name but it isnt because of anything from man other than faith.

Lots of denominations have churches that still hold to the KJV only, not me but lots of traditional churches.

Calvinism is a pretty hot debate topic but not one worth fighting over, if I was Satan I would be happy as a pig in slop that so many Christians were arguing over this.

will post more later.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
eric84

Raised a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(Typically referred to as Mormons, or LDS). Stop going to church basically the day I turned 18, started going again when I was 22, and haven't stopped since.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I hope this doesnt turn into another denomination war. lol
I have close friends who are ministers from alomst all Christian denominations and most of us agree that none of us have it 100%(I feel like I am closer than some and constantly preach to my congregation that I dont back all of the baptist beliefes and traditions.)

I do believe that people are healed in Jesus' name but it isnt because of anything from man other than faith.

Lots of denominations have churches that still hold to the KJV only, not me but lots of traditional churches.

Calvinism is a pretty hot debate topic but not one worth fighting over, if I was Satan I would be happy as a pig in slop that so many Christians were arguing over this.

will post more later.
Rev you are right no man has it right by 100% and this is why one should preach teh bible alone. My mentor was a SBC pastor. Probably why many think I act more like a baptist then a pentecostal. MOst everyone on this forume knows NateR and I are not seriously arguing. It is more of a agree to disagree. We both know how the other feels and thinks about this. It will not turn into anything sour. At least not on my part.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
Raised a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(Typically referred to as Mormons, or LDS). Stop going to church basically the day I turned 18, started going again when I was 22, and haven't stopped since.
Dave wants to know whats makes yours different. Be sure to tell everyone you all think Adam was God and that men are gods as well and that you will get your own planet to be god over.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
The baptist denomination has not been around longer. Where on earth did you get that. Calvin was one of the reformers. The denomination of Baptist is not even the oldest in America. Please cite your source for that. Also are you telling me none of the baptist beliefs were first introduced by Calvin? I think you are sadly mistaken but of course you are free to your opinion. The Tulip is core to all branches of Baptist theology. Just take a look at all the seminary curriculums. BTW I did not not infer like oyu think that their preaching was any less biblical. But just like any other denomination (mine included) they at times use the teaching of man to justify their dogmas. We already went over this in another thread so I will not bring up here but many parts of the tulip are not based in scripture w/o proof texting.
Did the Baptist denomination start in America?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
donaldbreland

I am a new Christian. I said the sinners prayer on July 26th 2008 at my dads funeral and it wasn't until August 13th 2009 that I got Baptized. I believe that God is the only way to save. I believe in every word of the Holy Bible. I believe that Jesus was Gods only begotten son sent down to wash away our sins by giving his life up for us on the Cross. I believe that God will bless us on earth as he will in Heaven. I do not agree with denominations. I don;t understand why we have to be pentecostal or baptist or anything else in that matter. I mean we all believe in the same God. Why do we have to be set in teams. Again I am new so don;t bash me to hard. I am here to learn and you know that I take every word ya'll say and learn from it. Please tell me why there is different denominations?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM
donaldbreland

Also is it true that a Mormon or a catholic will not make it to Heaven. This isn't what I am being preached but is something I have always heard.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Dave wants to know whats makes yours different. Be sure to tell everyone you all think Adam was God and that men are gods as well and that you will get your own planet to be god over.
Are you being nice or sarcastic? Despite the differences members of the Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saints are some of the best people I have ever met. There's no reason to stir up the pot for everyone to tell him stuff about his church and or beliefs.. Oh I come in peace my friend..