Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
raised in the open bible churches wich are pentecostal.
"Open Bible Churches?" Is that supposed to imply that non-Pentecostal churches don't read the Bible?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
DonnaMaria

Raised Roman Catholic.....of course.........

became Methodist in college........

now I'm Baptist........and dead to all my Sicilian relatives......
Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Rev

Raised hardshell Baptist
shopped around seeking truth and "settled" with Southern Baptist but dont agree with every part of any denomination. Feel most comfortable with Southern Baptist, Presbyterian, and some pentecostal.

I am the Senior Pastor at Pine First Baptist Church in Pine Louisiana.
thats why "Rev"
Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Chuck

I've always attended Non-denominational churches and really don't see myself going anywhere else... I'm quite happy where I'm at.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 PM
annamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Raised Baptist. Started out Fundamentalist Baptist, then Southern Baptist, then Conservative Baptist. Now attend and am a member of a Presbyterian Church.
So what's the difference between all these different kinds of Baptists? Or Presbyterians or Assemblies of God?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
So what's the difference between all these different kinds of Baptists? Or Presbyterians or Assemblies of God?
Baptist differences are usually how many points of Calvinism they accept. SOuthern are typically 4 and otehrs are 5 point and some are free will. Presbyterians are reformed and they are 5 point calvinist. Assembly of God do not agree with Calvin in anything are completely free will and believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in operation today and did not cease as most baptist believe. They all agre in the core doctrines of Jesus's death and resurection and his sinless life and 100% man and 100% God and virgin birth and His second coming (thou many disagree when)
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Baptist differences are usually how many points of Calvinism they accept. SOuthern are typically 4 and otehrs are 5 point and some are free will. Presbyterians are reformed and they are 5 point calvinist. Assembly of God do not agree with Calvin in anything are completely free will and believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in operation today and did not cease as most baptist believe. They all agre in the core doctrines of Jesus's death and resurection and his sinless life and 100% man and 100% God and virgin birth and His second coming (thou many disagree when)
To be honest, though, I've been raised a Baptist my entire life and I've never even heard of the term "Calvinism" until I started posting on this forum. I'm not even completely sure that I know who Calvin is, or if I should even be taking seriously the theology of someone who talks to a stuffed tiger.

I do know that the Southern Baptists split from the main Baptist Church in the US during the whole Civil Rights movement in the 60s. However, they don't stand for segregation or racism anymore.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
BamaGrits84

[QUOTE=NateR;116473]To be honest, though, I've been raised a Baptist my entire life and I've never even heard of the term "Calvinism" until I started posting on this forum. I'm not even completely sure that I know who Calvin is, or if I should even be taking seriously the theology of someone who talks to a stuffed tiger.
QUOTE]

Hey now. Calvin is a smart kid. After all he pees on Auburn (or so my bumper sticker shows).

And me either. In 24 years of being at southern baptist churches I never heard of it. I looked it up and still have no idea what the heck it's about. I know there is the once saved always saved thing.

An interesting observation between a methodist and AoG pastor. In November my sister passed away after a 3 week battle with ARDS. Her methodist pastor would come in an pray frequestly, but he asked God for healing "God we pray for your healing" kind of thing. On the day we got the "all immediate family should come up" call my pastor came to be with me and prayed and said "be healed in the name of Jesus." He was trying to speak healing into her in the name of Jesus whereas my sister's pastor merely asked for it. It seems methodit and baptist don't believe that everyday people can heal in the name of Jesus.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Chris F

Quote:
To be honest, though, I've been raised a Baptist my entire life and I've never even heard of the term "Calvinism" until I started posting on this forum. I'm not even completely sure that I know who Calvin is, or if I should even be taking seriously the theology of someone who talks to a stuffed tiger.

I do know that the Southern Baptists split from the main Baptist Church in the US during the whole Civil Rights movement in the 60s. However, they don't stand for segregation or racism anymore.
The averege lay person does not relaize that most their beliefs come from John Calvin. Some baptist even hold to the belief that the KJV is the only accepted translation for English and to read anything else would send one to hell. Just like most beliefs for the presybterains come from the Apostles Creed and Westminster Confessions. Chuck is probably wise to not want any part of a denomination because they all have their faults because they are man made institutions.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Chris F

[QUOTE=BamaGrits84;116483]
Quote:
QUOTE]

Hey now. Calvin is a smart kid. After all he pees on Auburn (or so my bumper sticker shows).

And me either. In 24 years of being at southern baptist churches I never heard of it. I looked it up and still have no idea what the heck it's about. I know there is the once saved always saved thing.

An interesting observation between a methodist and AoG pastor. In November my sister passed away after a 3 week battle with ARDS. Her methodist pastor would come in an pray frequestly, but he asked God for healing "God we pray for your healing" kind of thing. On the day we got the "all immediate family should come up" call my pastor came to be with me and prayed and said "be healed in the name of Jesus." He was trying to speak healing into her in the name of Jesus whereas my sister's pastor merely asked for it. It seems methodit and baptist don't believe that everyday people can heal in the name of Jesus.
Not all think that way I have seen some pretty strong prayer warriors from my Baptist breathen. Also the TULIP is the foundation for the baptist they just do not come out and preach it that way. Becuase if they did they would realize it was from man and not God.