Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Talking What is your Denomination/church background

If you would, you might also like to tell a little about your denomination as well, because not everyone may know exactly the emphasis and difference between say Catholic and Pentecostal

My Background is Low Church of England, I was brought up for 18 years at Saint Georges Church, Swallowbeck, Lincoln, which defined itself as celtic/low church. Non Evangelical, Non Charismatic, Non Teaching, but extremely musical and drama based, and very youth focused. I was infant baptized into this Denomination. I briefly became a Platonic Universalist and attended a Unitarian Chapel in Harrogate and Bradford. Then I became involved with the Anglican Chaplaincy at Bradford University, which was again Low Church Celtic, I also became involved with Sherbourne Road Community Church a Free church big in Teaching and Worship, Finally I got briefly involved with The American Pentecostal Church of The Harvest in Bradford. Again big on Teaching and Worship, but with the typical emphasis on Pentecostal invokation and ceremonial.

Then I went to Saint Paul's Cathedral London, and experienced High Church Anglo-Catholicism, and thats kinda where I am now. Liturgical and Ceremonial Based. I am now a Confirmed Member of the Denomination. I attend Christ Church on The Stray and sometimes Saint Peters Church, both High Church Anglicanism.

The Anglican Church spans a huge range of Denominations that have decided to become one in full communion under the "first amound Equals" the Church of England, which again displays the full range of Anglicans from Catholic without alligience to the Pope, and Against Women Ministry, through the Evangelical and Charismatic Churches that verge on the Pentecostal with emphsis on Teaching and music, to the Low and Liberal Churches that would welcome homosexuals.

The Church of England is Episcopal in Structure, and some of the Higher members also carry political titles as they have seats in the House of Lords in Westiminster Palace.

Below is the structure of the Ordained and Consecrated Orders

(ArchBishop) Right Honourable and Right Reverend, Doctor (2)
(Lord Bishop) Right Honourable and Right Reverend, Doctor (a few)
(Bishop) Right Reverend (52)
(Sufferegen Bishop) Right Reverend (quite a few)
(Cathedral Dean) Very Reverend (52)
(Catherdal Chapter) Residentiary Canon (Title) (Many)
(Cathedral Greater Chapter) Prebendary Canon (Lots)
(Minor Canons) Reverend (Many)
(Arch Deacons) Venerable (Lots)
(Priest) Reverend (Loads)
(Curate) Reverend (loads)
(Deacon) Mr/Mrs (Some)
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM
annamal

I've wanted to ask this question myself as I know next to nothing about other religions, and have always been curious.

I was raised strict Seventh Day Adventist. Their main differences being their belief in the seventh day sabbath (Saturday) and the state of the dead (everyone stays dead until the second coming of Christ). They also follow many of the old covenant laws. I stopped going about five years ago, but I just started going to a non-denominational church three months ago. I don't know much about their background but I suspect they have roots in the charismatic church, whatever that means. They are very into praise and worship, energetic sermons, praying over people, and altar calls. None of which I've ever experienced before in the SDA church, but I think I like it. I've seen the holy spirit move here which I've never seen before. And I haven't seen anyone come down with a case of the crazies, so it's all good. I don't mean that in an insulting manner, I was just raised in a very traditional, dead, old fashioned church and it's taking me awhile to get used to these other ways of worship. My mind is being slowly stretched you might say.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
BamaGrits84

I was raised in a Southern Baptist church. My family went to the same church my entire childhood. It was like pulling teeth to get my mom to let me go to a methodist church my friend went to just for some youth events. adn seh flipped out when she found out that while visiting my oldest brother he took me to his girlfriend's church - an assembly of God church. I'm really not sure why. I guess she was just afraid I might learn something "wrong". Well we go to an Assembly of God church now. have been for a little over a year. There is really nothing I've heard different from what Baptisit or Methodist believe. There is speaking in tongues (like 2 or 3 times that i've seen). It's weird that my mom actaully does believe in speaking in tongues as a baptist because most don't. I'm undecided on that aspect. I think there are only mild differences in most Pentecostal churches. To me it's like picking what flavor of ice cream you want. It's all good, you just have to pick the one you like the most.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Miss Foxy

Raised Roman Catholic. Converted to Latter Day Saints at age 18.. Left the church at 20.. Became a member of a Southern Baptist church...currently non-denom...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Reformed Presbyterian all 24yrs of my existence.

I'm boring!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Chris F

Raised Assembly of God. I am an ordained minister for the denomination. However considering leaving because of their new seeker senistive motivations. I believe in sola scriptura and they seem to focus more on the bible plus the latest craze.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Raised Baptist. Started out Fundamentalist Baptist, then Southern Baptist, then Conservative Baptist. Now attend and am a member of a Presbyterian Church.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Chris F

someone asked what I meant by seeker senistive. see this clip

http://vimeo.com/11501569
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM
donaldbreland

non denominational. will explain why later. don have time lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Garandshooter

raised in the open bible churches wich are pentecostal.