Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Shogun win improves Chuck Liddell's stock

So, with Mauricio Rua's dominate victory over Lyoto Machida to take the belt it marks the 3rd fighter (out of 4) that have recent victories over Chuck to go on and win the belt. One of which was Rampage (who Ko'd Chuck and took the belt)
In my opinion this improves Chuck's stock in the fight game. Yes he's one of the older fighters, and yes he's lost 4 out of his last 5, but look who he's lost to.
Rampage(1st round KO)-took his belt by delivering the first KO of Chuck's career and first loss in 7 fights
Jardine (Decision)- Who technically should have beat Jackson if he hadn't gotten dropped in the 3rd.
Evans (KO 2nd Round)- Who went on to KO Griffin for the belt and then got Ko'd by Machida in the 2nd round
Shogun- Who knocked out Machida (in less time than he took to KO Chuck) not including their first fight.

I won't argue that Chuck is getting up their in years for a fighter, but come on. The facts arre the facts

[
Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
So, with Mauricio Rua's dominate victory over Lyoto Machida to take the belt it marks the 3rd fighter (out of 4) that have recent victories over Chuck to go on and win the belt. One of which was Rampage (who Ko'd Chuck and took the belt)
In my opinion this improves Chuck's stock in the fight game. Yes he's one of the older fighters, and yes he's lost 4 out of his last 5, but look who he's lost to.
Rampage(1st round KO)-took his belt by delivering the first KO of Chuck's career and first loss in 7 fights
Jardine (Decision)- Who technically should have beat Jackson if he hadn't gotten dropped in the 3rd.
Evans (KO 2nd Round)- Who went on to KO Griffin for the belt and then got Ko'd by Machida in the 2nd round
Shogun- Who knocked out Machida (in less time than he took to KO Chuck) not including their first fight.

I won't argue that Chuck is getting up their in years for a fighter, but come on. The facts arre the facts
I'm going to have to say "no" to your fight math.. :-(

I don't think Shogun beating Lyota (again) makes Chuck look better/worse. Chuck's recent performances are whats made him look bad.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
KevinD

Chuck has lost to some quality opponents for sure. Rampage, Shogun, even Rashad to a lesser extent. But please don't put Jardine in that catagory. The Chuck of yester year would have destroyed Jardine. Perhaps that fight, more than any other, shows how Chuck just isn't the same fighter as we would like to remember.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Bobby71

Looking back, you could say that Chuck never fought any good strikers and simply knocked out a bunch of grapplers that couldn't take him down.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm going to have to say "no" to your fight math.. :-(

I don't think Shogun beating Lyota (again) makes Chuck look better/worse. Chuck's recent performances are whats made him look bad.
What about Shogun being the Champ. despite Jardine Chuck has only been beaten by top 6 LHW's

I think he still has it and I think he's working his butt off now to prove it.

[
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Chuck

Quote:
What about Shogun being the Champ. despite Jardine Chuck has only been beaten by top 6 LHW's

I think he still has it and I think he's working his butt off now to prove it.
Well if the "it" that he still has is to be a mediocre fighter that loses to top competition.... then I agree. ;-)

We might just have to part company as friends on this issue brother... I think Chuck's done, a riddle that's been figured out and won't ever be a threat to any top competition.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Well if the "it" that he still has is to be a mediocre fighter that loses to top competition.... then I agree. ;-)

We might just have to part company as friends on this issue brother... I think Chuck's done, a riddle that's been figured out and won't ever be a threat to any top competition.
That's why we all get an opinion

Don't mind if I quote ya on that do ya?

I'm not saying Chuck is going ot go on another big win streak, but I think we'll see a bit of the old glory again.

[
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Chuck

Quote:
That's why we all get an opinion

Don't mind if I quote ya on that do ya?

I'm not saying Chuck is going ot go on another big win streak, but I think we'll see a bit of the old glory again.
Hey I like Chuck and would love to see him win again... I just think he and a few other fighters from the "old guard" are being passed up by a new, more complete fighter. No matter how much we like some of the past heroes of the UFC quite a few of them were 1 dimensional. In this day you just can't have any long lasting success with that.

That's why a fighter like GSP should be around a while. Although I'm a fan I say should because his stand up is becoming scarce recently. If he turns into a 1 dimensional wrestler like we've seen a lot recently... I think his reign will end soon.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

It's official:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CagePotato.com
Randy Couture may be itching for a title shot against Mauricio Rua, but thankfully, logic will prevail in the light-heavyweight division. Dana White confirmed yesterday that the winner of the Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans headliner at UFC 114 (May 29th, Las Vegas) will get the first crack at Shogun's belt. If Rampage can pull off a victory in his comeback fight — his first appearance since beating Keith Jardine 14 months ago then "quitting" the UFC to film The A-Team — it would set up a rematch with Rua, who beat the crap out of him five years ago in PRIDE.

Related: In an interview with Sherdog before UFC 113, Rua gave his thoughts on another 205-pound star who he might have to tangle with at some point — Jon Jones. "He is a great young fighter, too damn good, and he’s coming with everything in our division," Rua said. "He is very good in wrestling. I think he and Cain Velasquez are the two guys with the best wrestling in MMA today, together with Georges St. Pierre. He’s a very good wrestler, very dangerous. He’s a guy who will give a lot of people trouble." Will Rua be able to avoid the Light-Heavyweight Title Hot Potato Curse™ long enough to battle Bones for the belt one day?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM

If he didnt lose to Jardine you might have a point

Last edited by bj44; 05-11-2010 at 11:02 PM.