Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 AM
mikthehick

Thumbs up The Kimbo Nice tale featuring Matt Hughes and Robbie Lawler

So I was going to tack onto a Ram's Tale, but I'm not a Ram, I'm a Cavalier....anyway.....

I started off today getting up to go to a benefit that the new MMA gym in Charlottesville did to support the Family and Social Services. We had a BUNCH of kids come and learn about lessons from the firemen, police, and soldiers in our area. Plus some of the fighters did some demos on the mat for the kids--I'll try to get pictures up here soon of that.

Just to say, it went REALLY well and I think the social services really benefited from the exposure in the Central VA area. Plus that kids were super cute and I had an awesome time figuring out how to print stuff and set up the network

I got home at 2, and was pretty tired, but logged on here and has 3 pm's asking if I was going to go up to DC to see the UWC fights. I was not going to go since I've got 21 pages to write for my class, homework for my weeklong class that's due in two weeks, and a boatload of other stuff. Since sleep is for losers, I decided to just chuck the stuff in the car and was out the door by 210.

So I drove up to my parent's house, said hi to the dog, left, and called up Ben (VCURamfan). Since I suck at getting directions, I had to call the poor chap about 6 times to get to the Panera, (no joke). Within a few minutes, Dave (Spirit walker) and his buddy Ryan were there with us.

We got to the Patriot center, and i was about to go home, defeated about not meeting Matt. But we meet up with TexasRN and Jeff Crow, and I decided to buy a ticket anyway. Took some pictures, and into the fights we went. (Ben did go on a field trip and got matt's fighter lanyard, which was super awesome!)

This was BY FAR the best 35 dollars I've spent so far on a show. It was extremely professional, well done, and not cheesy at all. All the fights were amazing, and Dave, the owner of my gym and one of my instructors and good friends, asked to fill him in. So I txted him about stuff the entire show. Also figured out how to record video on my piece of crap camera. I got some really good vids of the fights.

Even though the HIT Squad guys lost, they put up amazing fights. Whisper was taken down by a textbook knee from his opponent and Justin fought great his whole fight, not tapping until the end of the third round with about 70 seconds left on the clock. Felice lost by a split decision, which was complete doggy doo, but whatever she fought awesome. I want a Catfightmma tshirt now

The really great thing was seeing the utmost respect of all the fighters for each other. There wasn't really any crap shown between them.

While i didn't actually get to talk to Matt himself, just seeing him in action as the awes. coach that he is was enough for now. I can't wait to see him fight Serra in Vegas.

So moral of the story, if you had to chose between 21 pages of writing or seeing some fights featuring your favorite fighter,

chose the fights and your friends. Sleep is so overated and memories are so much more important than grades

ADD ON: The best news of the night was Kyle, a guy from the VA MMAI Harrisonburg branch won his fight by TKO. Pretty awesome and Rick, the owner was really excited about that. So the MMAI's of VA are right on track this year, two wins last weekend and a win this weekend

Last edited by mikthehick; 02-22-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Josh

Sounds like a blast.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
Since sleep is for losers, I decided to just chuck the stuff in the car and was out the door by 210.
Hey!!!!! Watch the language sister!!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I couldn't agree more. The card was very well run. With the exception of the intermission.. but that is more a me thing than a problem with the production.

Invading the VIP room was cool. Was walking up to Amy and Jeff and I turned to the left just a bit.. and there Matt was. I was in awe a bit. Was really cool, and he was much "bigger" in person, really broad chest and such. I mean we have all seen Matt on TV multiple times, street clothes, formal pictures, goofing off. But the TV doesn't really give you the complete impression.

My watching him for a few minutes with fans, "real fans" and others.. was super cool. Nothing other than what I expected really. Was talking, snapping pics, shaking hands..

When I called down to him, no I seriously don't think he recognized me from any forum picture, but it was an immediate smile.

I spoke to Robbie for just a quick second, telling him good luck, and he offered his hand. Very cool..

(Is it me.. or does he not look "ruthless" when he has hair?

Running into Marc at the concession was cool. I just said "Hey Marc, good luck on the fights tonight." And he seemed surprised that he was recognized.

More to come later.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
mikthehick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Hey!!!!! Watch the language sister!!!!
O hush

I'll be honest with you guys, I don't remember writing a lot of that, but I'm so happy it was coherant! I left out a ton of memories, kinda feel like it was a dream, maybe a really nice dream....

Then I turned on my camera and it ALL happened! Granted I don't have boomer's ablility to tell stories and all (still waiting on one btw), but this will do.

How could I forget Marc Fiore???? I wasn't wearing my glasses, and Dave, Ryan and Ben were just walking and I froze, saying "omg it's Marc Fiore!!" We high fived, Dave and him shook hands, and he did look surprised to be recognized. It just shows that these guys are just regular people like you and I (except they are and train champion MMA fighters...), but anyway, the humility was pretty catching if you ask me.

After the fights, we were exiting and talking about MH and how awesome the experience was, and this lady shouts at me "I shook his hand! I SHOOK his hand!!!"

Wow.

And I didn't eat or drink for 12 hours before the fight. Promise, I didn't have a drop of alcohol in me. Maybe the memories are coming back slowly b/c it was really surreal, just everything was going on at the same time, the lateness and my lack of any planning (which is the usual these days), and being tired.

4 hours of sleep on Friday and 3 last night--but I did make it to church this am

I'm 5 pages into the 25 I need to write for my theory class, but thanks for reading this if you did.

This forum really is the best. I've made some great friends on here and it just goes to show the power of friendship and the characteristics that Matt retains in his life and shows as an example to the rest of us.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad ya'll had a good time. It was great meeting you all even though we didn't hang out more.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
ADD ON: The best news of the night was Kyle, a guy from the VA MMAI Harrisonburg branch won his fight by TKO. Pretty awesome and Rick, the owner was really excited about that. So the MMAI's of VA are right on track this year, two wins last weekend and a win this weekend
Wasnt he the guy that took out Levon Maynard...my support from suckerpunch
Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 PM
mikthehick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Wasnt he the guy that took out Levon Maynard...my support from suckerpunch
Cry all you want Dave, he's from my gym and I stand behind my VA gym Have to.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Cry all you want Dave, he's from my gym and I stand behind my VA gym Have to.
Levon is also from VA...and He's my support from Suckerpunch, I support them Have to

Glad your guy won, but I perfer the other guy...I'm gonna meet him on Tour just like I'm gonna meet you
Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
...I'm gonna meet him on Tour just like I'm gonna meet you

Promise? Threat? Dream?