Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
I think you're looking at things from an educated MMA fans point of view,
and not from a factual standpoint.

Like it or not, hate it or not, Kimbo is / was more watched than almost any UFC fighter.
1. Took part in the most watched MMA fight in HISTORY! (Kimbo / Thompson)
2. Had the highest ratings in TUF history.
3. Took part in the 3rd most watched MMA fight in History (Petruzelli)

I don't like the idea of a guy who is 4 - 2 and no martial arts history being a huge draw and fan favorite in this sport either, but unfortunately facts are facts and he is.
I am not denying that people will watch the guy fight, but if you think it's gonna last forever or be anything like Tito Ortiz, I think you are sorely mistaken. Even mainstream meathead fans know that Kimbo sucks now.

When you throw around those facts about how many people watch Kimbo, you are also leaving out another key fact. The fact that all of those fights were on free TV, not PPV. In the fight with Thompson, he still had the benefit of hype on his side, and it was the first MMA fight on Network Television. When he lost to Petruzilli, it was a disaster for EliteXC and almost put a permanent end to MMA on CBS. When he came to TUF, it just gave a shot of life into an already viable franchise that has a solid fanbase, but had slipped in recent years.

In this business, success is measured not only in popularity outside of the ring, but accomplishments inside of the ring as well. Tito Ortiz had to actually win fights to become popular, Kimbo Slice got handed his popularity from the internet. Thats why Tito can lose and people will always stand by him. Kimbo does not have that luxury, and the more he keeps getting beat up, the less and less people are going to care, because he hasn't given us anything to really care about yet.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
as much as kimbo vs fedor should absolutely NOT happen.... i can still see it something strikeforce putting together. haha that would be hilarious. yea lets put a guy who can't fight against the guy who most people consider the best fighter in the world for the past decade. now THAT would be funny. i mean afterall... fedor HAS FINALLY earned his shot at fighting kimbo!
lol im not sure if the athletic commission would even allow it though
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 AM
donaldbreland

I would like to see Kimbo down to 205. I would like to see him fight one more time. He may have gassed but he did slam the dog dookie out of Matt. He was just over matched in that fight.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I am not denying that people will watch the guy fight, but if you think it's gonna last forever or be anything like Tito Ortiz, I think you are sorely mistaken. Even mainstream meathead fans know that Kimbo sucks now.

When you throw around those facts about how many people watch Kimbo, you are also leaving out another key fact. The fact that all of those fights were on free TV, not PPV. In the fight with Thompson, he still had the benefit of hype on his side, and it was the first MMA fight on Network Television. When he lost to Petruzilli, it was a disaster for EliteXC and almost put a permanent end to MMA on CBS. When he came to TUF, it just gave a shot of life into an already viable franchise that has a solid fanbase, but had slipped in recent years.

In this business, success is measured not only in popularity outside of the ring, but accomplishments inside of the ring as well. Tito Ortiz had to actually win fights to become popular, Kimbo Slice got handed his popularity from the internet. Thats why Tito can lose and people will always stand by him. Kimbo does not have that luxury, and the more he keeps getting beat up, the less and less people are going to care, because he hasn't given us anything to really care about yet.
you're helping my point, seeing how SF does free shows.
So.....
and Kimbo won't continue to lose, because SF won't hand him guys who will beat him.
Just like before.
His debut was HUGE, not because of MMA fans,
but because he was a youtube street fighter.
Sorry, but educated MMA fans aren't huge Kimbo fans.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
you're helping my point, seeing how SF does free shows.
So.....
and Kimbo won't continue to lose, because SF won't hand him guys who will beat him.
Just like before.
His debut was HUGE, not because of MMA fans,
but because he was a youtube street fighter.
Sorry, but educated MMA fans aren't huge Kimbo fans.
How can you say Kimbo won't lose? Who are they going to "hand" to him? They thought they were "handing" him Seth too, and look what happened. CBS already went down the Kimbo road once, and in the end it was a disaster when he lost. If they did bring him in, they won't be able to sell him as the big scary street fighter anymore. Sure, it was big because of Kimbo's Youtube popularity, but don't get it twisted, that first fight on CBS would have been huge with or without Kimbo.

This has nothing to do with being a fan of the guy. From that aspect, I actually like Kimbo. Still, the reality is that Kimbo's flame will burn out sooner than later unless he finds a way to start winning fights against real competition. Beating guys like Houston Alexander or even James Thompson is noteworthy for a guy who doesn't even have 5 fights at the time, but the masses will not keep caring if he keeps getting his butt kicked by guys that are seen as B-level.