Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
GnP

Default Couture wants winner of shogun v machida

As Randy Couture heads back into training in mid-June for his August showdown against James Toney, the UFC Hall of Famer still has other goals on his mind as well.

The 46-year-old former heavyweight and light heavyweight champion isn't done winning titles yet, and while his focus has turned to former boxing champion turned MMA fighter James Toney, he believes that his shot at the 205-pound belt isn't far away either.

When asked if he believes he could be in line for a title shot within 12 to 18 months, Couture said that it could be sooner.

"I think within the next six months I'd like to be in line to fight the winner of the Machida/Shogun fight," said Couture during an interview with MMAWeekly Radio.

Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua are set to square off on May 8 at UFC 113 in Montreal in a rematch of a fight the two Brazilians had in 2009, a fight that ended in a very controversial decision. Couture is headed to Montreal this week and will keep a very watchful eye on the bout.

"I'm going to be in Montreal to watch that fight very attentively. I think it's going to be a great fight," he stated.

The Las Vegas based fighter has gone undefeated since moving back down to 205 pounds after a championship campaign in the heavyweight division ended in 2008. Couture is 2-0 since dropping back down to light heavyweight with wins over Brandon Vera and his most recent fight against fellow UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman in February.

UFC president Dana White has stated on several occasions that he believes Couture is ranked near the top of the heavyweight division, and that a title shot could be in his future. Depending on the outcome of Couture's fight with Toney, and the main event at UFC 114 pitting former champion Rashad Evans and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson against either other, a new top contender will emerge soon.

First things first though, Couture will look to dispatch James Toney at UFC 118 on Aug. 28 in Boston.

I really don’t see how randy could be in line to fighter the winner of these two. Surely there are several fighters further up the cue? Rampage, Rashad and Jon Jones can all in my opinion make better cases for fighting the winner. Hell even Anderson can (all be it he wouldn’t fight if Machida won)

I am not sure since comming back to 205 his displays deserve a shot. I thought he lost to Vera and I think coleman was a spent force before Randy fought him
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Well, there might be more that deserve it, but I've seen less deserving get a shot as well..
Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
pistol-pete

I don't think Randy Deserves a shot at the title at 205 until he beats a contender, sombody in the top 5. Rampage vs Rashad should automatically be the #1 contender fight. I have to admit, Randy's beat down of Coleman was a lot more impressive than Shogun's victory over Coleman, and yes I kow Shogun was just coming back from a knee injury and all, but Randy is 46.

I don't know, but Randy should be fighting a contender not a washed up boxer.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Bobby71

I would like to see Randy fight Rampage! What a clash of styles and personalities that would be.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Well, there might be more that deserve it, but I've seen less deserving get a shot as well..
Like Brock.. (oh wait.. )
Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
rearnakedchoke

let him fight jon jones if JBJ and couture both win their next fights ... JBJ will be sure to retire randy ...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Like Brock.. (oh wait.. )
That's a good example...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby71 View Post
I would like to see Randy fight Rampage! What a clash of styles and personalities that would be.
You know.. that would be a really good fight!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Miss Foxy

He don't deserve that fight at all..
Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
He don't deserve that fight at all..

Randy is Captian America!!! He can pick his own fights!!!!!!
not really.. but I do like watching him fight!