Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
What do you allow them to do over on your forums???
rules are for all ... i don't make up rules as i go .. sorta like that whining kid that if he was losing the game would go home with his ball ... not sorta like that . exactly like that ...
Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
What does a Prime Minister do? Is he like a Reverand or Pastor?
He runs the Country. A bit like your President infact.

In England the Government is made up of Two Houses. The Main House is known as "The House of Commons" Actually its the most recent step of our political evolution. The word Commons...being derived from "commoners" As in, Plebs, normal people, representatives of mainstream society. This kinda happened during the few years that England was a Republic after the Civil War and the removal of the Monarch....it didnt work...and the Monarch was brought back, but the people still remained in the Government. The House of Commons is thus made up of MPs (Ministers of Parliament) Each Minister has been Ellected to a Council in Local Government, of whats known as "A Constituancy" Once they reach the top position (Bar the more ceremonial position of Mayor) They can have a seat in Westminster Palace. They will sit with their Parties...There are many parties, but Three major ones for Direct rule over England, they are The Conservative Tory Party (Supposed to be the Right wing party, but now the Left Wing) The Labour Party (Supposed to be the Left wing party, but now after more then 10 years in power, its more Right then the Conservatives) and the Liberal Democrats (A Centrist party) One party gains power, the rest act as an "opposition" for the Powerholding party.

Now in the case of Tony Blair. He Rose to power becoming the Leader of the Labour Party and thus when Labour became Ellected by the Country in a Democratic Vote (done by the people themselves, no representatives that vote for them) He was Prime Minister In England you may Rule as many Terms as you like consecutively or otherwise. Tony got into his Third Term of Office. A term is approximately 5 years in length, but the Ministers may call for an early ellection in oustanding cases...like for example if you came into the role without being Ellected. This could happen if You were second in command of the party in power and the Prime Minister resigned. Thats how Gordon Brown became Prime Minister.

David Cameron is leader of the Conservative Opposition. If Gordon Brown called for an Ellection and His Labour Party lost the vote...then David Cameron and his "Shadow" cabinate would become the Real Deal.

Lets see the Commons in action, its basically a big Verbal Sparring session between the parties...I bet despite how your two parties dissagree...I BET your government doesnt do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZlrOTYGsw8

Each Prime minster has a Cabinate, and the Opposition have "Shadow Ministers" for each position in the Cabinate, lest they come to power. So for example, There is the Labour Health Minister...there will also be the Conservative Shadow Health Minister, if that makes sense. These people sit on the Front Bench in parliament. facing each other in a Colleigic Fashion. Over time this House has become the powerful law maker, but they do have to pass all their laws through a second...much older House.

Also in Westminster Palace is The House of Lords. Originally, it was the Early Government that rulled and advised the Monarch prior to the Civil War, and when the Monarch had full power all the time. These people used to be the Old Land Owning Barons, they used to be all the Bishops aswell. These positions essentially are unellected, and supposed to be passed down through generations of wealthy families...course now its made up of people who have Retired from the Commons and been appointed. They have to verify what the Commons does in order to solidify the Law.

If a Person is an MP, he is refered to as The Right Honerable. If he is given the title Lord, then you may refer to him with "Your Grace"
Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 PM
County Mike

Damn. I wasn't expecting a history lesson.

"House of Lords"? I was told there's only one Lord and Saviour. What is this whole house of lords you speak of? I call blasphemy!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

"House of Lords"? I was told there's only one Lord and Saviour. What is this whole house of lords you speak of? I call blasphemy!
WAR COUNTY MIKE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

Lord is a short form for LandLord. Originally the Lords and Ladies were the Rich people in England who owned all the Land. none of them own land like that now...I hasten to add that the Land is exactly why some Bishops are in the House of Lords....In any Old Cathedral you will find the Stalls of the Quire relate to an area of Land owned by the Church, and in it would sit the landlord of that area. I always laughed that under the Stall which I would always sit in at Saint Paul's to attend Evensong, which I could guarentee would always be Vacent, was the Title "Consumpta Par Mare" Evidently some poor Baron at one stage lived on the coast and lost his land off the side of a cliff and into the Sea LMAO

What you dont understand, is that the owner of an area of Land used to more or less run a whole town or something. He would be known as "Lord of the Mannor" (refering to His House obviously) He would be a Baron, so the Land would be his, you would work for him, on his land, he paid taxes to the Crown. Thus he had a seat in Parliament.

Christ is trying to show you something in adopting a Title like "Lord" He is trying to say something about his power, something about the order of things, and where little you fit into it. He's useing a term you should be familiar with to reveal to you something about himself.

Besides...He is Lord of Lords...so that kinda implies there are many Lords. He's just using the Fuedal system analogy. He is Lord OVER the Barons...A Baron would be seen as the height of authority by an Old English Pleb...so he's telling tou He's more powerful then the most powerful thing you know.

But now there is no Land...so its just a Title. A bit like being a Knight. If you are Knighted, you dont have to ride around on horse back and fight for the Queen no more. Its called a Title.

You have much to learn

Last edited by Tyburn; 02-25-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
County Mike

It really doesn't take much to get Dave going.

I learned about England by watching Robin Hood cartoons. I think I've got it pretty well figured out.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I learned about England by watching Robin Hood cartoons. I think I've got it pretty well figured out.
I doubt it

but I'm always happy to help
Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:

Rocket Robin Hood? Did that take place in England too?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

I learned about England through Braveheart.

I believe the opening statement goes something like, "I'm here to tell you, about William Wallace. Historians in England will say that I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged." So, yeah, that means England's historians are liars! I'll bet you guys were taught that you beat the Yanks in the American Revolution and War of 1812?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I learned about England through Braveheart.

I believe the opening statement goes something like, "I'm here to tell you, about William Wallace. Historians in England will say that I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged." So, yeah, that means England's historians are liars! I'll bet you guys were taught that you beat the Yanks in the American Revolution and War of 1812?
War of 1812??? when the americans tried to expand their borders into lower and upper canada and couldn't? i would call that losing the war, when you main objective was thwarted ...