Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Hey kid! Get on with it already! This is the Matt Hughes section not the Ben show off show

Man, you're super witty tonight. Maybe you've had a few too many "Diet Cokes".
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Stump Rules!

Yeah and your headed to the woodshed if you don't make this thread about Matt Hughes real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Man, you're super witty tonight. Maybe you've had a few too many "Diet Cokes".

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
OK, I know this is taking a lot longer than y'all want it to, but be assured: I've been writing & have made it to about 7pm Saturday evening!
Matt and I talked about this and you have until noon tomorrow, otherwise your thread gets deleted.

(Am I kidding? Am I serious? I guess we'll find out tomorrow....)
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Matt and I talked about this and you have until noon tomorrow, otherwise your thread gets deleted.

See Ben, why do you think I got my stuff up so quickly?

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Ben at this point your thread is a B- without the visual aids and the "write-up".
You'd do it for Professor Ken!!

[
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Stump Rules!

Deleted?! But Tito is waiting for him in the woodshed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Well fine, I guess I'll just submit a half-finished product. I apologize for taking my academic career seriously.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well fine, I guess I'll just submit a half-finished product. I apologize for taking my academic career seriously.
This isn't a term paper, just post your tale in parts as you get it finished.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted
NOW WHERE ARE THOSE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

[
Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

OK, so here’s the first half of the Ram Tale. Sorry it's taken so long, I'm swamped with school work. It actually begins on Friday, February 20th. As I’m sure all of you are aware by now, I had a huge paper that I was trying to finish. I began it as soon as I got out of class at 2pm & continued working on it, with a few interruptions, until 5am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33J-FUfhVIk

Happy & excited, I went to bed. The next morning, I awoke to a horrible discovery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptXMc9I1JaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fn-PcgTIoQ

After much throwing of clothes, slamming of doors & shouting of curse words, I finally get on the road, only a few minutes late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMo4G750DNA

It was an uneventful trip. I rolled about 75-80ish mph all the way up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_kczDeS1w

After I made that video, I hopped on the phone & called Amy (TexasRN) to see what she was up to. Turns out she was on the way back from Walter Reid with Matt. Awesome! I should have known there was no way that Matt would make a trip out near a military hospital & not go see the vets!

I took the opportunity to do a little exploring around “downtown” Fairfax. After driving around for a bit, I found a public parking lot just down the street from a Panera Bread. I parked, hopped out, walked up the block, happy to see the “Free Wi-Fi” signs everywhere. After making taking a tour of their restroom (hey, you try chugging a Large Dr. Pepper from McDonalds in 90min & then try resisting the urge to drain the main vein!), I grabbed a table, booted up the laptop & hopped on the forums. About that time, I got a call from Kim (mikthhick):

“Hey, Ben, I’m just getting in town from my parents place. Are you at the Patriot Center?”

“No, I’m actually in downtown Fairfax right now, hanging at a Panera.”

“O, cool. How do I get there?”

“Well, I went down Ox, crossed over University, and went passed the government center. I ended up at an intersection with a gas station on the right, so I turned there. Then I took a left on University, which has apparently turned parallel with Ox. Then I found a parking lot. It’s on the corner of University & North. The Panera’s just up the street from there.”

“Awesome, I’ll see you there!”

So I go back to checking out the forums & trying to upload a couple of videos I had made during the trip. About 3min later, I get another call from Kim:

“Hey, Ben? I was coming down Ox & made a left on University on campus like you said.”

“O, my bad, I thought I told you to go past campus, then take a right at the gas station and then a left on University.”

“O whoops! Well, University is University, so I’ll just keep following it until I find North.”

“Umm, OK, Kim. See you soon.”

Back to the forums. The phone rings:

“Ben, I could find you, so I’m back on Ox now. Where was I supposed to turn?”

“I think I made the directions too complicated. Here: just come down Ox & take a right on North. The very next intersection will be University. You’ll see a gravel parking lot on your right. Just park there, walk back up North & you’ll see Panera on your right.”

“OK, got it!”

More forum surfing. “Counrty boys can surviiiiiiive…” (my ringtone for all forumites):

“OK, I’m in a parking deck on University.”

“Parking deck? I said gravel lot!”

“Well, whatever. It’s on University & North. Where’s Panera?”

“It’s just up the block on North.”

“OK, I’ll see you in a few!”

Reading the foru – “Country boys…”

“Ummm, I asked some guy on the street & he sent me down University, but I can’t find you..”

“University? I said it’s on North! Why’d you ask the guy?”

“Well, some college kids said it was somewhere but they weren’t sure, so I asked this guy instead because I didn’t trust them.”

“OK, Kim, just go back to the corner of University & North. On the corner you should see a Metro City Diner. Panera is in the same block as the Metro, on the same side of the street, I promise!”

“If you say so, but I think it’s hidden.”

Back to the forums, trying to keep my sanity. “Countr-”

“What now?”

“Hey Ben, it’s Dave. You know, ‘Spiritwalker’!”

“O hey, Dave, where y’all at?” (great grammar, right?)

“Well, I’m here with my buddy Ryan & we’re on our way to meet you at Panera. Only problem is I talked to Kim & she gave some directions that really don’t make sense at all…”

“Ignore her. Just drive down Ox, take a right on North, park in the lot at the corner of North & University. Then just walk back up North, you’ll find Panera on the right.”

“OK, buddy, sounds good!”

Just about that time, I see Kim some walking up. I’m just getting my witty comments ready when she shoots me a death glare that would make any woman proud. I wisely just clear my throat & get back to the forums with just a muttered “Hey, what’s up”.

Before too much later, Dave & Ryan show up. We quickly say our hellos, then decide we’d like to head back to the venue. As we walk out of Panera, Hank starts singing to me again: it was Amy. It turns out that she & Jeff (Crow) were also en route to the venue. It looked like we’d all get there about the same time!

Kim jumps in her car, Dave & Ryan hop in mine & we all roll back over to the George Mason campus. We find a parking deck, get spots right next to the exit & the elevator & decide it was time for a Forum Picture!

We headed out of the parking & (after getting mildly lost on the GMU campus), we made our way to the Patriot center. As we walked up to the venue, we noticed that there was a heavily trafficked entrance right in front of us. I had a ticket waiting for me at Will Call, while Kim, Dave & Ryan still had to buy theirs, so we headed for the doors, looking for ticket windows. Right as we got to the doors, a security guard stopped us, asking for our VIP tickets. Turns out we had inadvertently shown up at the VIP Meet & Great for the $250 & $500 ticket holders. That obviously wasn’t us!! It turns out that the ticket windows were at the West entrance, while we were on the opposite side of the building: The East entrance.

We start hiking around the building & Hank speaks up again. It was Amy calling to say that she & Jeff had made it to the Patriot Center & would be waiting for us at the West Entrance. In short order, we found them & there were hugs & handshakes & rainbows. After a bit of small talk, I said I needed my ticket from Will Call & Kim, Dave & Ryan said they needed to get in line to buy tickets, so we left Amy & Jeff shivering in the cold.

Fortunately for me, there was no one in the “R-Z Will Call” line, so I was in and out in about 30sec. As I came out, Jeff & Amy were talking about needing to pick up their Media passes. It turns out that Matt had put them down on the Media list so that they could get cageside for pictures & such. The only problem was, they weren’t sure where they were supposed to get their badges. When Amy mentioned that Matt had said to come by the Meet & Greet to pick them up, I said “Hey, I know was just there, I know exactly where to take y’all!” So off I go again, back around the building to the East entrance.

As we got back to the VIP entrance, Jeff & Amy went up to talk to the security guard. At first he thought we were trying to break in & crash the party or something, but once Amy said that we were just waiting for Matt to step outside & talk to us for a second, he said “OK, no problem.”

As if on que, the 9x UFC Welterweight Champion of the World came striding through the crowds. He said hi to Jeff & Amy, glanced over their shoulders to see me, looked up to see my face & said “O, hey, you must be Ben!”

OK, so that was the coolest part of the whole trip…or so I thought. Instead of just handing Jeff & Amy their passes & saying “See ya, I gotta get back,”, Matt said “Hey, come on in here!”, so we followed him in, through the crowd of VIPs, past the long line of waiting fans, right up to the autograph table were ICON, Strikeforce & EliteXC Middleweight Champion of the World “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler was sitting.

“Hey Robbie, I want you to meet someone,” Matt says, “This is Ben, from the forums.”

“Hey man, what’s up?” Robbie says, standing up & extending his hand.

“Uh, hey, not much. How are you?” I answer, taking his hand dumbly.

Matt, Robbie, Amy, Jeff & I talked for a few minutes about random stuff & then Matt looks over at me & says “You probably want a picture, don’t you?” Um, no, thanks, Matt. I’ve spent countless hours on your forums & missed out on countless chances to meet you, but now that I’ve actually made it here, I’d rather pass on getting evidence.

“Yeah, that’d be awesome!”

“Great, Robbie, get in here for the picture!”

So there I am, with a world champion on either side of me, & I’m on top of the world. I mean, I’ve gotten to talk with Matt & Robbie, I got into a party & I had no business being part of & I got a picture to prove I was there. This was the best possible outcome I could have hoped for that weekend.

Wrong again. As I get my camera back from Amy (thanks for making fun of the broken screen, you’re sooooo kind!), Matt calls my name. I turn around to see that he’s taken off his Fighter pass. “Here, put this on & see where it gets you,” he says as he tosses it to me. I’m dumbstruck. I’ve got Matt’s own backstage pass in my hands. This is the key to the free food & open bar in the back! This is the key to fighter dressing rooms! This is the key to…everything!!!!

I then got to spend the next hour hanging out with Jeff, Amy, Matt & Robbie as they signed autographs & took pictures with the fans (Matt & Robbie, I mean. Not so many people asking for Jeff’s autograph ).

-------------------

I'll post more tonight after classes, assuming that's OK with y'all.