Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Exclamation Jens The Budgie is distressed

So I noticed that Jens was spending a lot longer pruning himself, and he has started to nervously shiver his left wing. Fearing there was something wrong with him I looked up his symptoms. Well there isnt anything directly since his droppings are still indicating good health.

Budgies sit with their wings open if they are hot...but sometimes they do it as a sign of distress...so I wondered what could be distressing him...other then Wyman obviously.

I'm pretty sure its his beak. See I hadnt noticed before...but its the tip has started to curl under!! Apparently its just over growth, and you can take a bird to a vet whenever it happens to have the beak trimmed a little bit. It explains a few things...Jens is frustrated because he's finding it hard to groom himself with a funny shapped beak...this is making him a little dissapointed with life.

So I have decided that we shall have to get him to the vet and get this sorted out. Hopefully I can sort one out on Monday...or at least get one booked...

Jens has also picked up the really annoying habit of making Finch noises under his breath when he thinks I cant hear him. If I didnt know better, I would think he were mocking the finches by trying to copy in a typically disgusted tone of voice the other birds...perhaps he find them irritating to..Lets be honnest...Jens is a grump...he dont like sharing, he get jelous way to easily and just about any change at all gets him really moody...dont even mention a molt...because he's the bane of my life during a molt...I have four birds...and out of all of them...the one who acts most human...displays emotions directly at me...the only one who appears to be aware of himself, beyond himself...is Jens the Budgie...like...I send ages talking to him...and I sing all the time...and in one and a half years he's failed to utter a single word...and I KNOW he CAN speak...I believe he deliberately chooses not to
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Jens is frustrated because he's finding it hard to groom himself with a funny shapped beak...this is making him a little dissapointed with life.
He told you this?

Are you Dr. Doolittle?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

So I noticed that Jens was spending a lot longer pruning himself, and he has started to nervously shiver his left wing. Fearing there was something wrong with him I looked up his symptoms. Well there isnt anything directly since his droppings are still indicating good health.

Budgies sit with their wings open if they are hot...but sometimes they do it as a sign of distress...so I wondered what could be distressing him...other then Wyman obviously.

I'm pretty sure its his beak. See I hadnt noticed before...but its the tip has started to curl under!! Apparently its just over growth, and you can take a bird to a vet whenever it happens to have the beak trimmed a little bit. It explains a few things...Jens is frustrated because he's finding it hard to groom himself with a funny shapped beak...this is making him a little dissapointed with life.

So I have decided that we shall have to get him to the vet and get this sorted out. Hopefully I can sort one out on Monday...or at least get one booked...

Jens has also picked up the really annoying habit of making Finch noises under his breath when he thinks I cant hear him. If I didnt know better, I would think he were mocking the finches by trying to copy in a typically disgusted tone of voice the other birds...perhaps he find them irritating to..Lets be honnest...Jens is a grump...he dont like sharing, he get jelous way to easily and just about any change at all gets him really moody...dont even mention a molt...because he's the bane of my life during a molt...I have four birds...and out of all of them...the one who acts most human...displays emotions directly at me...the only one who appears to be aware of himself, beyond himself...is Jens the Budgie...like...I send ages talking to him...and I sing all the time...and in one and a half years he's failed to utter a single word...and I KNOW he CAN speak...I believe he deliberately chooses not to
Do you have a cuttle bone or mineral block for him to gnaw on?

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/arti...rd_cuttle.html
Old 04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
He told you this?

Are you Dr. Doolittle?
logical deduction. Jens wont tell me anything...he wont actually speak english to me at all...even though I know he could...but you have to remember...I spend ALOT of time watching these birds, I know their behaviour patterns well...its important because sick birds hide their symptoms as a reaction to being perceived as prey. If you dont watch a lot, you may miss the tiny differences in behaviour until one day they fall of their pearch!

I've been watching Jens for a year and a half...I know these things...but what really clinched it for me...was when he had climbed ontop of his cuttlefish bone ledge...Budgies use their beak as an extra set of claws...they climb by hooking a beak around the wire streps and using their claws to haul themselves up...and Jens could not position his beak where he needed it...he was hesitant, made several attempts, and nearly fell off the ledge...thats when I saw his beak extended fully from the front, because usually he climbs up the back of the cage so I never see the beak fully out...I might if I grabbed him to get him out of the cage...but he's so docile and used to me handling him he bearly even flaps...infact there have been times where he will jump onto my hand when I go to get him out...

Having rulled out disease...and knowing the tempriture is not nearly hot enough for him to be doing that wing thing to cool down..I consider that if he's having difficulties with the beak in movement, he's probably having that same difficulty in grooming, hence why he's suddenly turned into a woman in terms of the length of time it takes him to ensure his coat is looking presentable

Old 04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Do you have a cuttle bone or mineral block for him to gnaw on?

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/arti...rd_cuttle.html
yes...but he wont use it much...the fool..actually would rather step off the two pearches and ONTO the cuttlefish bone and sit on the edge..it makes him Higher then Wyman and Closer to me

He has a mineral block too...but he doesnt use that now virtually at all...at one time he used to love it...but I guess now he's boared of it. Honnestly, he's a pain in the back LMAO
Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I suppose if God had granted me the gift of being able to fly, I would probably be disappointed in life if I had to live in a cage!

Seriously though, I hope you get it all sorted out and Jens gets back to his routine of doing bird-like things with a sense of normality.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I suppose if God had granted me the gift of being able to fly, I would probably be disappointed in life if I had to live in a cage!

Seriously though, I hope you get it all sorted out and Jens gets back to his routine of doing bird-like things with a sense of normality.
Firstly, unless they are migratory, most birds do not fly that often, for that long...next time you go into a square and frighten the pigeons, see what they do...you'll find the second they take off, they are looking for a landing zone...most of the time its up a few metres and then right back down behind you.

Most Birds flitter around, but they hop as much as they fly, they sit on roof tops, or in the trees.

Secondly, Jens and Wyman have aproximately three hours outside the cage each night...do you know how they spend it? Sitting...they fly to and from the pelmet, and then they sit...or in Jens case, actually lie down ON TOP OF their own cage. The only real flying they do is when they try to avoid me catching them...even then if you can prevent them from landing for a few mins, they get tiered and drop out of the sky...they spend the next half hour sitting in the cage with their wings out pretending to be having heart attacks in the hopes I might take pity on them and let them out again #

Finally...you dont miss what you dont know. These are not wild birds that have been tamed...infact...they would be unable to live in the wild. They have everything provided for them, and they have never had to look for their own food. They have a stable environment against harsh climates, and they dont have any preditors...okay...so I have shouted at them a couple of times...but that was discipline They have spent their whole lives in captivity...from egg, to ashes...they dont know what outside is. You cant miss what your unaware of.

I think Jens will be fine after he gets it trimmed...he aint to bad now, its only because I sit and stare at him for a long time that I notice...he is feeding, thats the important thing...too long a beak and the birds can have trouble eating...and then they die of starvation...Jens is nowhere near that...all the same...because I care about him and have noticed he's...a tad unhappy...I want to sort it out ASAP. I hope it dont cost tooo much
Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 AM
Stump Rules!

Dave...The Bird Whisperer

For crying out loud Dave go ask in a bird forum

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Dave...The Bird Whisperer

For crying out loud Dave go ask in a bird forum
Hey!

I already labeled him Dr. Davelittle!

Whats your beef with birds? Did you watch too many Hitchcock movies?

Me and a few buddies are actually working on short film entitled "The Birds", and it's all about the yearly invasion of "Snowbirds" that we get here in AZ. It's an instant classic, filled with oxygen tanks, handicap plates, and people who prefer to drive under 30 MPH.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Stump Rules!

It's not the birds it's just hearing about the birds...everywhere I hear about birds

Quote:
Hey!

I already labeled him Dr. Davelittle!

Whats your beef with birds? Did you watch too many Hitchcock movies?

Me and a few buddies are actually working on short film entitled "The Birds", and it's all about the yearly invasion of "Snowbirds" that we get here in AZ. It's an instant classic, filled with oxygen tanks, handicap plates, and people who prefer to drive under 30 MPH.

http://stumpdotcom.com/