Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 AM
donaldbreland

Default Randy Couture vs. James Toney Targeted for Augustís UFC 118 in Boston

Randy Couture vs. James Toney Targeted for Augustís UFC 118 in Boston
Posted by Kris Karkoski on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:00 am ET9 Comments
Five-time UFC champion Randy Couture is slated to welcome boxing champ James Toney to the UFC, as the pair are targeted to meet in a featured bout at UFC 118 on August 28 in Boston, according to MMAjunkie.

Following back-to-back losses to heavyweights Brock Lesnar and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, the hall of famer Couture (18-10) dropped to light heavyweight, where heís earned wins over Brandon Vera in November and Mark Coleman in February.

Toney is 72-6-3 as a pro boxer with 44 knockout victories, including a second-round TKO of Matthew Greer in September in his most-recent bout. He signed with the UFC early last month following public exchanges with UFC President Dana White, and Couture quickly asked to be his first opponent.

While Couture has most-recently fought at 205-pounds, the weight for the matchup has yet to confirmed.

UFC 118 is expected to be headlined by a rematch between lightweight champ Frankie Edgar and former title-holder BJ Penn and is also likely to include a matchup between lightweight contenders Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 AM
donaldbreland

This sucks. If Toney beats Randy I swear I will think this is rigged. I know he has a punchers chance but Toney should face someone like Stefon Struve.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I'm gonna pick Toney just to get flamed....

I will always remember James Toney as a Black Bald Bull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvo90gclSOg
Old 04-23-2010, 06:07 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
This sucks. If Toney beats Randy I swear I will think this is rigged. I know he has a punchers chance but Toney should face someone like Stefon Struve.
If a guy as short as Roy Nelson can one punch KO Struve, WTF do you think Toney would do to him?

For real, a lot of this is about experience and mental preparation, and a LOT of the lower tier guys will be crapping their pants at the thought of getting punched in the face by James Toney with 4oz gloves.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 AM
donaldbreland

Well I am picking Toney as well. I actually think he wins pretty decisive. I shouldn't have said rigged earlier but I think you can go ahead and write the script on this one.

First round randy comes out and dirty boxes Toney against the cage then Toney stuns Randy which causes Toney to have more room to box. Randy clears his head and come in to engage again and Toney drops randy and Mario Yamasaki steps in and calls the fight at 3:46 of round one.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Well I am picking Toney as well. I actually think he wins pretty decisive. I shouldn't have said rigged earlier but I think you can go ahead and write the script on this one.

First round randy comes out and dirty boxes Toney against the cage then Toney stuns Randy which causes Toney to have more room to box. Randy clears his head and come in to engage again and Toney drops randy and Mario Yamasaki steps in and calls the fight at 3:46 of round one.
I think you misread me a bit...

I'm not sayin Toney kills Couture...I was just sayin Toney would beat Struve...

Couture is too smart to play a Boxer's game in my opinion...he will probably take Toney down and choke him out.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
donaldbreland

I was saying that I would like to see Toney face someone that is as Low on the totem pole as struve. I actually think this is a bad fight for Couture. I am hoping that Couture wins but I have a gut feeling this is not going to go good for him. James Toney hits real hard. If he connects then its a very short night for Couture but if he doesn't get a lucky punch then he gases out at the end of the first. Why did his first fight have to be Couture?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 AM
donaldbreland

Kimbo vs Toney would have been my pick. Oh well.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 AM

Whatever happens its probably ending in the first round... Probably a couture tko or rnc.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Kimbo vs Toney would have been my pick. Oh well.
I agree completely...thats the money fight in my opinion...

But that's why we are just critics and they are promoters....