Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Peruvian Fighter Charged with Manslaughter After Training Death

Franco Lescano had only been training in mixed martial arts for six months when everything went wrong. During the midst of sparring with David Salazar inside a San Fernando, Argentina gym on March 10, two lives would be changed forever.

While the facts of exactly what happened are in dispute, the final outcome was undoubtedly tragic: a training accident resulted in Lescano becoming a quadriplegic and eventually dying after 21 days of intensive care hospitalization.

According to at least one local press report, the accident resulted when Lescano was shooting in for a takedown and landed awkwardly, probably on his head.

The result of the horrific sequence was two fractured cervical vertebrae and spinal damage for Lescano, who was left motionless. The immediate care provided by the gym is considered a contributing cause of his death, according to Lescano's family. The attorney for his wife told one media outlet that instead of immediately calling for medical help, Tiger Gym members moved Lescano themselves (the gym disputes that assertion). Neck injuries require immediate stabilization as any movement could exacerbate the problem up to and including death.

"Franco's injury was compounded by the abysmal care they received there," Jose Vera said.

The 30-year-old Lescano had two children and had reportedly been training for his first fight. Three weeks later, he was dead.

Meanwhile, the 19-year-old Peruvian Salazar was arrested and charged with a crime similar to manslaughter. Some of the news stories on the incident describe Salazar as using a choke-type hold on Lescano as they fell to the mat, though none of the reports suggest anything malicious in his actions. Neither do any of the reports suggest how much jail time Salazar faces if convicted.

In discussing the case, the city's attorney general told the media, "This 'anything goes' is nonsense. It's not a sport, it's a massacre."

Several of the articles discussing Lescano's death note that mixed martial arts is organized and sanctioned in the part of the country where the accident took place, though his wife insists that the gym members were practicing not for MMA, but for vale tudo, the sport's precursor with few of the safety rules inherent in today's MMA.

There have only been a handful of deaths in MMA history, and only one has taken place as a result of a bout in the United States, when Sam Vasquez died after collapsing in the third round of a fight in Houston, Texas in Oct. 2007.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Very sad.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Agreed. A real bummer.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM
SupaDupaMod

I am not sure that they should have charged the other guy with a crime though.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I am not sure that they should have charged the other guy with a crime though.
Well, if they moved him without securing his neck, you know better than I how much damage that could do.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well, if they moved him without securing his neck, you know better than I how much damage that could do.
But they all didn't get arrested. Only the one he was fighting.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
But they all didn't get arrested. Only the one he was fighting.
That's a good point. I guess they figure that since they were fighting, that makes it an assault? I would guess that the gym doesn't have people sign waivers to protect against this sort of thing...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Dethbob

Itís weird how superstitious the reactions to MMA can be. The guys got enough to worry about without being charged with a crime.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
That's a good point. I guess they figure that since they were fighting, that makes it an assault? I would guess that the gym doesn't have people sign waivers to protect against this sort of thing...
The waiver would only be useful in a civil case. It shouldn't have any bearing in a criminal case. I am still surprised the other guy was charged at all.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
The waiver would only be useful in a civil case. It shouldn't have any bearing in a criminal case. :
are you sure