Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Question The Prisoner Dilema

I havent done this in ages, and there is a completely new set of people...so I'll do a thread about it again. Apologies if your one of the few that remember it from last time

There is a little Scenario I want to run past you, that will leave you with a difficult choice, and I want to know your answer. This can say a lot about people...not their primary answer...but then further questioning can really show peoples ethics.

You are an Honoured Guest on an Island Community. The day you arrive is Execution Day, Ten Prisoners who have been found guilty of crimes deserving death, are ready and waiting to be executed. What they have done and how guilt was determined is not information supplied to you. Neither essentially is the method of execution. In Honour of your arrival the Islanders impliment a custom for such occasions. Nine Pardons are produced and will be given. IF you aggree to be the executioner of any one of the prisoners you chose. IF you refuse, the execution will go ahead as previously schedualed resulting in ten deaths.

What do you decide to do
Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Miss Foxy

I would refuse... It's none of my business so how could I pardon someone who might have done something horrific and deserved to be there in the first place.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Blade

Agree to execute the one person, but then use that weapon to kill EVERYONE on the island, then take all their valuables and their land and restart the British Empire. Simple.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Kill the Messenger
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I would refuse... It's none of my business so how could I pardon someone who might have done something horrific and deserved to be there in the first place.
You assume two things...first that the prisoners are guilty...and secondly that their crime would be considered punishable by death...In Islamic Cultures they cut hands off people that steal...they may not have done anything horrific, and may not deserve it.

Just food for thought.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Agree to execute the one person, but then use that weapon to kill EVERYONE on the island, then take all their valuables and their land and restart the British Empire. Simple.
You assume its a weapon. What if its as simple as pulling a lever or pushing a button.

Complex.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 PM
County Mike

Are any of them hot women that might show appreciation for being saved?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
You assume two things...first that the prisoners are guilty...and secondly that their crime would be considered punishable by death...In Islamic Cultures they cut hands off people that steal...they may not have done anything horrific, and may not deserve it.

Just food for thought.
It says on the passage they deserved death? And who would I be to just roll up on the island and start pardoning people? If we think its petty to cut a hand off for theft thats based on our culture, but whos to say thats right or wrong? Not me..
Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 PM
County Mike

I like Foxy's answer. She's not one to push her beliefs on a different culture.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
It says on the passage they deserved death? And who would I be to just roll up on the island and start pardoning people? If we think its petty to cut a hand off for theft thats based on our culture, but whos to say thats right or wrong? Not me..
Well, according to that particular culture, yes, they deserved death...but who know exactly what is punishable by what. There are no particular right and wrong answers...its all just food for thought