Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
then the same should go for a guy who puts his hands on the ground to avoid eating a knee.
The difference in that is, the guy throwing the knee is on his feet. A guy on his back can't generate as much power.

I do agree that putting your hand down shouldn't classify as being "down", but I wouldn't put the two rules in the same basket.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I want them to allow upkicks regardless of opponent's position. If he's above you in any form, you should be allowed to kick upwards at him. The top opponent putting his knee down as he tries to navigate around your guard should not protect him from the kicks.
No clue why they don't allow that considering the guy on top is going to be generating a lot more force leaping over the legs to punch you or drop the elbow.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Jen's last fight in Pride.. (soccer kicks to the head ..
Isnt that how it was finished

I think that was the first fight he had done real time since I was a fan of his...wasnt it about this time, or just before, in 2006...It was around the time of The Great Schism
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
donaldbreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I want them to allow upkicks regardless of opponent's position. If he's above you in any form, you should be allowed to kick upwards at him. The top opponent putting his knee down as he tries to navigate around your guard should not protect him from the kicks.
Agreed.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
rearnakedchoke

the ufc is fine without knees to the noggin ...
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Dethbob

Why not get rid of knees, elbows and finishing holds altogether? If pure sport is the goal, Boxing and Wrestling are exciting and established international sports with complete rulesets. A few minor tweaks to the rules and scoring systems would create a sport similar to MMA but without those elements that so distress the rabitfolk, and with a couple of potential fan bases already built in.

Last edited by Dethbob; 04-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Buc Nasty

I don't see any need to change the rules. They are fine as they are.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
Why not get rid of knees, elbows and finishing holds altogether? If pure sport is the goal, Boxing and Wrestling are exciting and established international sports with complete rulesets. A few minor tweaks to the rules and scoring systems would create a sport similar to MMA but without those elements that so distress the rabitfolk, and with a couple of potential fan bases already built in.
finishing hold???? No one in MMA uses the Stone Cold Stunner. Are you talking about submissions?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
finishing hold???? No one in MMA uses the Stone Cold Stunner. Are you talking about submissions?
I have no idea what a ‘Stone Cold Stunner’ is, but in the context of this post I assume it would be included in ‘other’, as in not western boxing and not collegiate, greco-roman or freestyle wrestling.

I think the term ‘submissions’ is misleading because the fact that they can make someone ‘submit’ is just an artifact of competition, the actual purpose of these techniques is to break joints or render someone unconscious, thereby finishing the fight.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
I think the term ‘submissions’ is misleading because the fact that they can make someone ‘submit’ is just an artifact of competition, the actual purpose of these techniques is to break joints or render someone unconscious, thereby finishing the fight.
So does that mean that head kicks and power punches are also finishing moves since the intention behind someone throwing them is to finish the fight.