Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
TLC

Default Bring on the knees!

I know Dana has mentioned this more than once in interviews, and I certainly agree. I've seen so many rights where I'm saying "if he could use knees right there, this fight would be over!"

I think it would be perfectly reasonable not to allow a knee strike coming straight down (jsut like they don't with elbows) however.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
I know Dana has mentioned this more than once in interviews, and I certainly agree. I've seen so many rights where I'm saying "if he could use knees right there, this fight would be over!"

I think it would be perfectly reasonable not to allow a knee strike coming straight down (jsut like they don't with elbows) however.
I am torn about kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponet..

I remember Jen's last fight in Pride.. (it was actually just shown last week).. It was a shin to the face that got Jens back to the .500 in Pride.. but man.. soccer kicks to the head .. I don't know.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Dethbob

Does anyone know what the injury rates were in the early promotions compared to now? I donít remember anyone getting their face broken from 12 to 6 elbows when those were legal and people were careful to defend against that.

The thing that made MMA cool in the beginning was that people could do things that were illegal in other sports, and you would not learn to do stupid stuff like relying on the rules and the ref to protect you. Are we moving away from that?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I am torn about kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponet..

I remember Jen's last fight in Pride.. (it was actually just shown last week).. It was a shin to the face that got Jens back to the .500 in Pride.. but man.. soccer kicks to the head .. I don't know.
kicks and knees are different. no one is saying let soccer kicks into the UFC. People are asking for knees though. The rule should be that no knees are allowed to the top of the head.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
donaldbreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
kicks and knees are different. no one is saying let soccer kicks into the UFC. People are asking for knees though. The rule should be that no knees are allowed to the top of the head.
Yeah but all it takes is one fighter to get hit on the top of his head on accident and the other guy could die or be paralyzed. I think the rules are just fine the way they are now. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
KevinD

Although I would love to see knees to the head of a downed opponent added to the list of legal strikes, I doubt it will happen. That should have been pushed for when the Unified rules were being drawn up. To add new strikes to the rule book will be very tough to do. On the flip side, making things illegal would be much easier. Lets hope nothing is s