Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

View Poll Results: Should the UFC sign Jake Shields
Yes the UFC should sign Shields 24 75.00%
No the UFC should not sign Shields 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Max

Default Should the UFC sign Jake Shields

Ok so Shields has proven that he is a top 10 WW, #2 in my opinion, and a top 10 MW, he was #7 before he beat Hendo (Hendo was #2) according to Sherdog and MMAWeekly had him a #6 and Hendo at #5. He has 14 wins in a row, has not lost since 2005, and in those 14 wins he has beat Henderson, Miller, Lawler, Paul Daley, Carlos Condit and Okami (he also holds a win over Sakuri). Right now both the WW and MW div's in the UFC are kinda stale. GSP has beat his biggest challenges at WW and all thats left are rematches or guys who really have no business getting title shots. Aside from Sonnen and Vitor, Silva is running into the same problem. Shields has one more fight with Strikeforce before he becomes a free agent. So should the UFC bring in Shields and add a guy to their roster who could make a splash at both WW and MW?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Ok so Shields has proven that he is a top 10 WW, #2 in my opinion, and a top 10 MW, he was #7 before he beat Hendo (Hendo was #2) according to Sherdog and MMAWeekly had him a #6 and Hendo at #5. He has 14 wins in a row, has not lost since 2005, and in those 14 wins he has beat Henderson, Miller, Lawler, Paul Daley, Carlos Condit and Okami (he also holds a win over Sakuri). Right now both the WW and MW div's in the UFC are kinda stale. GSP has beat his biggest challenges at WW and all thats left are rematches or guys who really have no business getting title shots. Aside from Sonnen and Vitor, Silva is running into the same problem. Shields has one more fight with Strikeforce before he becomes a free agent. So should the UFC bring in Shields and add a guy to their roster who could make a splash at both WW and MW?
Wasn't really impressed with him during the Miller fight. Though just when you think Jake is screwed he pulls out the strong win. Robbie and Hendo are the top 2 in my mind.

Personally I think hes good enough to hang in the UFC. Could he take the title away from Gsp or Silva is another story, but I definitely see him as the #2 ranked in the UFC.

Id like to see him, though I would like to see RObbie and Diaz back as well lol.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Why not? Just like the world's best welterweight, GSP, he easily wins fights, but doesn't finish the fighter.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Stump Rules!

I voted no because of the whole shoving thing. Once I forget about that I'll change my mind I'm sure

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 AM
donaldbreland

He could beat GSP and Silva. The boy is good. can't take that away from him at all.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Why not? Just like the world's best welterweight, GSP, he easily wins fights, but doesn't finish the fighter.
Ask Robbie if he doesn't finish fights...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
atomdanger

Jake Shields has finished 8 out of his last 10 fights.
What other WW or MW champion can say that?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Bobby71

This is a no brainer imo, of course they should. Not only would they be taking a fighter away from strikeforce but they would be getting a contender to fight GSP. What a good fight that would be as well! GSP wouldn't want to go to the ground with him so I think GSP would stand up with him.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM
rearnakedchoke

He'll sign and his first fight will be with GSP ... he loses that and goes and fights anderson ... not saying he'll beat anderson, but his style is more suited to fighting guys like anderson ...
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
JohnnyB

Of course, sign him. Win-win for Dana. Either he comes in and wins some fights and challenges for a belt, or he loses and Dana can reiterate how bad the competition is in an organization like Strikeforce...