Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Mac

Default Another old Chevy

Was going through town today and saw an old torn car cover flipped up in the front and the gloomy stare of an old Chevy who had lost its way shining back at me . Noone lived at the house but i tracked down the owner.

1948 Chevy 2 door fleetmaster Coupe . Nice old car that runs smoother than a singer sewing machine .

Not bad for 1000..... Breathe Todd , Breathe!!!! LOL.

Last edited by Mac; 04-17-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Wow, man, that looks like it's in pretty good shape!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Was going through town today and saw an old torn car cover flipped up in the front and the gloomy stare of an old Chevy who had lost its way shining back at me . Noone lived at the house but i tracked down the owner.

1948 Chevy 2 door fleetmaster Coupe . Nice old car that runs smoother than a singer sewing machine .

Not bad for 1000..... Breathe Todd , Breathe!!!! LOL.

You got to be kidding me, I ought to call you the name you called me earlier, and a coupe to
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 AM

That dash is amazing!! think you would ever change the ext. color?

[
Old 04-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Mac

The Dash is made of a common material they used back then called Bakolite, made everything out of it , phones etc. Its got a pretty wood grain look to it .

The paint job is really the only thing thats not original to the car ,well that and the radial tires , everything else you see has held its shape since 1948 , thats 62 years , hope im in that good of shape when i hit 62.

What i find really amazing is this car is 62 years old and un restored , yet will still run up and down a highway like it was 1948 . I want to see a toyota camry or a hyundai do that 62 years from today .

This old iron just gets me so excited , I love this stuff , these cars have a soul, and the styling is just so much more than the bars of soap with windows of today.

As for the exterior color , yeah id change it , appliance white is ok but im thinking more along the lines of a heavy metal flake copper like some of the newer pontiacs have with a heavy pearl flake white roof.

But to be honest , ive ran out of room and already have two 55 chevys in the garage that need finished so this one will probably get sold to fund the 55's
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 AM

She looks sturdy as a tank, Mac. 1000 sounds like a steal...I mean deal...great deal! That copper color sounds like it would go well with the dash. What color for the inside?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
The Dash is made of a common material they used back then called Bakolite, made everything out of it , phones etc. Its got a pretty wood grain look to it .

The paint job is really the only thing thats not original to the car ,well that and the radial tires , everything else you see has held its shape since 1948 , thats 62 years , hope im in that good of shape when i hit 62.

What i find really amazing is this car is 62 years old and un restored , yet will still run up and down a highway like it was 1948 . I want to see a toyota camry or a hyundai do that 62 years from today .

This old iron just gets me so excited , I love this stuff , these cars have a soul, and the styling is just so much more than the bars of soap with windows of today.

As for the exterior color , yeah id change it , appliance white is ok but im thinking more along the lines of a heavy metal flake copper like some of the newer pontiacs have with a heavy pearl flake white roof.

But to be honest , ive ran out of room and already have two 55 chevys in the garage that need finished so this one will probably get sold to fund the 55's
I just can't be;ieve you got it for that cheap, brother. It's a beauty.

[
Old 04-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
She looks sturdy as a tank, Mac. 1000 sounds like a steal...I mean deal...great deal! That copper color sounds like it would go well with the dash. What color for the inside?
1000 dollars was a very good price ....... Considering that the steering wheel in it was only available ont his model , and very rare and hard to find , known as a "Banjo Steering Wheel" this style was made for about 4 years .

That steering wheel alone sells for $1000.00

So i pretty much bought a steering wheel and got a car thrown in with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
1000 dollars was a very good price ....... Considering that the steering wheel in it was only available ont his model , and very rare and hard to find , known as a "Banjo Steering Wheel" this style was made for about 4 years .

That steering wheel alone sells for $1000.00

So i pretty much bought a steering wheel and got a car thrown in with it.
That steering wheel looks huge; it probably has more metal on it than most of the cars made today. We're going to have to start calling you Monty (Hall)...."Let's Make a Deal!"
Old 04-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Buzzard

Nice find!