Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
just scan the next item when it is saying that, it doesn't require the item to be in the bag, at least not at the walmart here
LOL i try that all the time. It does not allow me to scan until the "item" is in the bag, there is like a sensor block on it. It must be a canadian walmart thing, HA.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
I myself use them only for a few small items. But I have run into some frustrating situations. It goes like this.

Machine: Welcome to self check out, please scan your item

Me: Ok ...*scan*

Machine: Please place the item in the bag rack next to you

Me: Ok. (I do it)

Machine: Please place Item in the bag

Me:

Machine: Please place the item in the bag

Me:

Machine: Please place the item in the bag

Me:

Machine: You have not placed the item in the bag. Please wait for assistance. Stand by.

Me:
Lol!!! Even after I hit the button to not place item in the bag it still goes off!! Grrrr.. Makes me crazy. I have absolutely no patience at all!!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post

I think we get the same scanner.
Me too!!! I think they just all hate me.

I like having the cashier scan my stuff. I load it onto the belt from my cart and make sure that the stuff I want bagged together is grouped together. I hate when raw meat gets into the same bag as my veggies and fruits. I also turn the items so that the cashiers don't have to hunt for the barcode. It's already lined up so they just have to swipe it across. I try to be nice to the cashiers at the stores. Their jobs suck but at least they're working and trying to earn a living instead of staying home and cashing a welfare check that my taxes give them.

~Amy
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Unions are pretty much worthless in the current time. I tend to belive that Unions are also part of the problem in many cases.
If you ever work in an "At Will" state, your opinion may change. While not perfect, I do see the good in them as well as the bad.

Back on topic: I have used them but each time I did I needed a cashier to finish things up. I generally have good luck with the cashiers, and make it a habit to thank them for their service. I always look for ones I have used in the past and have had good service from. I'd rather wait a few more minutes for the good ones because I like my eggs unbroken and my bread un-smooshed.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Unions are pretty much worthless in the current time. I tend to belive that Unions are also part of the problem in many cases.

Having worked at Wally World for a few holidays, I can tell you that there is no quota for scanning, cashiers are supposed to take the items out of the cart if the customer does not, and they are to bag the items. They are supposed to put the bags in the cart if the customer does not remove them.
Things have changed my wife works there right now and I did as well several years back and they surely did have an item scanned quota. If you could not keep up you were wrote up and eventually terminated. So sound like you just had a nicer store manager.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I've only used the U-scan once at a Wal-mart. And I've never seen the checker unload a cart going thru the "20 items or less" line. To me that would defeat the purpose of going through the line in the first place because it would take more of "your" time for them to do so. My pet peeve about Wal-mart is they've got like 20 check-outs and usually keep less than half of the "regular" lines open.

I do, however, use them a lot at the grocery stores. For one thing (like already stated) it's much faster even with a glitch or two. That happens to me too Malcolm. And, secondly, I can put things how I want them and am more careful than the baggers. I'm like Amy, I don't want certain items with others and no matter how many times I tell them I don't want my dry items with wet, they still do it. Plus, some of those checkers just throw your cans down the belt--so after you've carefully made sure to select cans without "dents"... And don't even get me started on my bread!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

No. I never use self service.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
If you ever work in an "At Will" state, your opinion may change. While not perfect, I do see the good in them as well as the bad.

Back on topic: I have used them but each time I did I needed a cashier to finish things up. I generally have good luck with the cashiers, and make it a habit to thank them for their service. I always look for ones I have used in the past and have had good service from. I'd rather wait a few more minutes for the good ones because I like my eggs unbroken and my bread un-smooshed.
North Carolina is an "at Will" state... The two unions I have been a part of is where I formed my opinions of unions. History shows that unions where a good thing at one time.. no longer..
Old 04-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Things have changed my wife works there right now and I did as well several years back and they surely did have an item scanned quota. If you could not keep up you were wrote up and eventually terminated. So sound like you just had a nicer store manager.
Actually I told the last one to @$#% off... cause he wanted me to stay past January 2 and tried to schedule me to work on my son's birthday... which is most likely the reason I didn't get a job there this past Christmas season..

I normally take a 3rd job around early Oct to really blow out the gifts for my kids and family (Christmas, then my son's birthday on Jan 7 and my daughters on Jan 9th).. this year was a little slim in gifts.. but rich in family!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
No. I never use self service.
Something tells me you self service more than most.