Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default Self Service Check Outs

Just curious.. do you use them?

I am talking about grocery stores and the like..where you can scan your own purchases, and follow the prompts to pay.. there is normally one employee manning 2 - 4 of these..

I WILL NOT use them, unless I get a discount for using it.

Part of the price I pay for an item is for that employee to take my stuff out of the cart (no matter if it's 2 -20 or 200).. ring it up, bag my stuff, and COUNT BACK my change (that RARELY happens anymore - so I always stand there and count it).

I would use one occasionally in the past.. but about 6 months about.. I used one to buy like 4 or 5 things.. one of them wouldn't scan..the employee came over and proceeded to try to teach me how to hold the item to get it to scan...

She was teaching me to do her job.. and I was PAYING for the "privilige".

What prompted this thread??

I was just in Wally World on my lunch.. and I say this lady with a cart FULL of stuff.. picking and scanning.. picking and scanning...

what do you guys do? What do you think?

Give me a 5% discount on my total bill.. I will buy a month of groceries.. and use the self service... but not until.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Shoots like a girl

Our Kroger has it but its for 10 items or less. The benefit for me is that our Kroger usually only has 2 lanes open and there are always at least 5 people in each line with a heaping cart. So I either use the U-scan or I wait in line for at least a half hour. When you are in the groc store after work with 2 kids and have 3 hours to get home, cook dinner, do the dishes and laundry, get baths, put kids to bed, get in your workout, take your shower AND spend some much needed quality time with the hubby.............. YOU USE THE U-SCAN! LOL But I totally see why you dont want to use it. My other other arguement for not using it is that I feel it takes away jobs. I would much rather see 2 more lanes open and 2 more people going home with a paycheck at the end of the week. But its not going to happen.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Chris F

My kids love them but I prefer to give the employees some work so they keep their jobs.

one point of disagreement i have is that it is not the cashiers job to unload your cart or load it. It is their job to ring up the merchandise. If you want full service like that you would need to go to a store with baggers. Believe it or not their is a union for that stuff. But at Wally world if you are making the cashier load and unload your cart you may be costing them their job because they have quotas for items scanned and can be fired for poor performance and have to stop and load your cart or get stuff out of the cart takes time. It does nto take much to unload your cart and out the filed bags back in.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
My kids love them but I prefer to give the employees some work so they keep their jobs.

one point of disagreement i have is that it is not the cashiers job to unload your cart or load it. It is their job to ring up the merchandise. If you want full service like that you would need to go to a store with baggers. Believe it or not their is a union for that stuff. But at Wally world if you are making the cashier load and unload your cart you may be costing them their job because they have quotas for items scanned and can be fired for poor performance and have to stop and load your cart or get stuff out of the cart takes time. It does nto take much to unload your cart and out the filed bags back in.
Unions are pretty much worthless in the current time. I tend to belive that Unions are also part of the problem in many cases.

Having worked at Wally World for a few holidays, I can tell you that there is no quota for scanning, cashiers are supposed to take the items out of the cart if the customer does not, and they are to bag the items. They are supposed to put the bags in the cart if the customer does not remove them.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:08 PM
County Mike

Unless I have a lot of items, I use them. Much faster. When it comes to shopping, "in and out", that's my motto.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM

The only place I've used self-scan is at Costco, their lines are really long and it's quicker (plus, a pet peeve of mine is the employees there literally THROW your stuff after scanning it...not too good on fish, meat or produce).

There is also one at Wal-Mart but I haven't seen it in any grocery stores here yet.

The only reason Costco and Wal-Mart have them is that their stores are insanely busy; I don't think self-scanning was introduced to eliminate someone's job.

You bring up a good point, Spirit, I just don't like to wait.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Unless I have a lot of items, I use them. Much faster. When it comes to shopping, "in and out", that's my motto.
I am sure that is not your motto for only shopping .. back to the thread .. LOL

these are great ... scan my items, swipe my card .. self service ... SW, just curious, so you use bank machines? or do you only stand in line to see a teller .. i know some people like that .. so just curious ...

if i don't have to deal with a crabby cashier, i try not to ..
Old 04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I am sure that is not your motto for only shopping .. back to the thread .. LOL
Well, with "other things" it must be repeated many, many times.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
billwilliams70

I'll use 'em on occasion.....only because I want to avoid interraction with the person at the register when I'm not in the mood to pretend to be happy.

Later.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
matthughesfan21

I only use them at walmart, and being a broke college student, I'm not buying much and its much much faster