Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default Hot Yoga

So a friend at work has been going to Bikram Yoga (aka "hot yoga") and has been raving about it. I had heard of it back in Texas when all the women OB docs were going. So I decided that since I enjoyed yoga in college and my friend has invited me that I will go and try it out for myself. She has told me that no matter how good of shape you are in or how flexible, the first class will be very difficult and that my goal for today is to not leave the room. Sounds hard core to me and that has me quite intrigued by it all.

Hot yoga is yoga done in a room that is kept between 95 and 105 degrees Farenheit with a humidity of 40%. I'll let ya'll know if I survive the class and am able to stay in the room for the entire 90 minutes. Wish me luck!

~Amy
Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Silverback

Good luck, thats all you ask, was to wish you luck, so I did.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Good luck, thats all you ask, was to wish you luck, so I did.

Quit picturing me in yoga pants....

~Amy
Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Quit picturing me in yoga pants....

~Amy
No way Baby, I like it
Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
No way Baby, I like it
I'll let you know how it goes with the class when it's all over. I'm not too worried, being from Texas and all.

~Amy
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Chuck

Quote:
So a friend at work has been going to Bikram Yoga (aka "hot yoga") and has been raving about it. I had heard of it back in Texas when all the women OB docs were going. So I decided that since I enjoyed yoga in college and my friend has invited me that I will go and try it out for myself. She has told me that no matter how good of shape you are in or how flexible, the first class will be very difficult and that my goal for today is to not leave the room. Sounds hard core to me and that has me quite intrigued by it all.

Hot yoga is yoga done in a room that is kept between 95 and 105 degrees Farenheit with a humidity of 40%. I'll let ya'll know if I survive the class and am able to stay in the room for the entire 90 minutes. Wish me luck!

~Amy
We're kind of in the same spot.. I was just about to try it in Washington then we moved to Florida. :-( So I've been looking for a studio nearby that offers it as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
We're kind of in the same spot.. I was just about to try it in Washington then we moved to Florida. :-( So I've been looking for a studio nearby that offers it as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
I'll let you know how it goes. I hope I like it.

Have you ever done yoga before? I did a class in college and loved it and have kept up with it from time to time but just at home on my own.

~Amy
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
philips4

Quote:
I'll let you know how it goes. I hope I like it.

Have you ever done yoga before? I did a class in college and loved it and have kept up with it from time to time but just at home on my own.

~Amy
Even if you hate it, its supposed to be really good for you! I go to "normal" yoga once a week and hate it but can tell a difference in my flexibility! The worst part is seeing all those healthy 80 year olds bend themselves into pretzels and I'm struggling trying to keep standing! Once a year my buddy in Maui makes me go to the "hot" yoga. Again my competitive "I can do anything you can do" attitude almost got me killed, by the end of the 90 minutes I was laying in a pool of my own sweat wishing I could crawl out of the room but didn't have the strength! Good luck with that, let us know what you think!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
Even if you hate it, its supposed to be really good for you! I go to "normal" yoga once a week and hate it but can tell a difference in my flexibility! The worst part is seeing all those healthy 80 year olds bend themselves into pretzels and I'm struggling trying to keep standing! Once a year my buddy in Maui makes me go to the "hot" yoga. Again my competitive "I can do anything you can do" attitude almost got me killed, by the end of the 90 minutes I was laying in a pool of my own sweat wishing I could crawl out of the room but didn't have the strength! Good luck with that, let us know what you think!
Well I've done it. I was very nervous hearing all the stories of people almost passing out or throwing up during their first class. And it doesn't help to be told that my only goal is to remain in the room for the entire 90 minutes. My friend couldn't make it since she's ill but I sucked it up and went anyway. Alone.....

Let me just say that the heat was not fun but it wasn't horrendous. There was a girl in there who was about 6 months pregnant and was doing all kinds of crazy poses and made me feel awful about my flexibility.

So I'll go tomorrow again and see how I feel. I am feeling pretty good now that it's all over and I've showered. More later when I've eaten and had some bf time.

~Amy
Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Well I've done it. I was very nervous hearing all the stories of people almost passing out or throwing up during their first class. And it doesn't help to be told that my only goal is to remain in the room for the entire 90 minutes. My friend couldn't make it since she's ill but I sucked it up and went anyway. Alone.....

Let me just say that the heat was not fun but it wasn't horrendous. There was a girl in there who was about 6 months pregnant and was doing all kinds of crazy poses and made me feel awful about my flexibility.

So I'll go tomorrow again and see how I feel. I am feeling pretty good now that it's all over and I've showered. More later when I've eaten and had some bf time.

~Amy
I might as well live up to your BF thinking we are perv's, we want pictures...