Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Nope. Not when that fighter has already clearly dominated the fight and there is under a minute left in the final round. Just like I don't care when football teams run the clock out at the end of a game. Thats just me.

The only reason Big Dan did that was to save face because fans were booing. If he really felt like Silva needed to be warned or penalized he should have said something WAY before that.
Were used to that kinda stuff, good ol boxing 101....

People are complaining about Silva for his last 3 rounds, but really nobody is complaing about how for over 10 minutes Maia did nothing except block punches with his face.

Its like I said before, 10+ punches and 1 landing in over 10+ minutes should be picked apart and analyzed to death for wasting the most time in an mma fight.

Dan was laughing the whole time when Silva was goofing off. He even shoved Silva at one point lol.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Were used to that kinda stuff, good ol boxing 101....

People are complaining about Silva for his last 3 rounds, but really nobody is complaing about how for over 10 minutes Maia did nothing except block punches with his face.

Its like I said before, 10+ punches and 1 landing in over 10+ minutes should be picked apart and analyzed to death for wasting the most time in an mma fight.

Dan was laughing the whole time when Silva was goofing off. He even shoved Silva at one point lol.
Most definitely, but it's hard to go too deep with boxing comparisons sometimes, because there is still a wide gap between the fans of both sports. For some MMA-fans, even the mention of Boxing induces rabid facepalming and eye-rolling, but I feel like those fans really miss the bigger picture. Even though they don't realize it, they use terms and comparisons when analyzing MMA that has already been done for YEARS in Boxing, like P4P for example.

Right now, I see this negative perception of Anderson Silva as money in the bank for the UFC, no matter what Dana says in the press.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
For some MMA-fans, even the mention of Boxing induces rabid facepalming and eye-rolling,

Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Not a boxing fan I take it?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
KevinD

I loved watching roy jones in his prime. He was probably one of the most gifted fighters of all time. He could do things most fighters could only dream of. He was cocky in fights too. He would talk, he would give his chin, he would hit his own face, he would wave a fighter in, dance around like a rooster and all that stuff. Sort of like what Anderson was doing the other night. The difference is, when jones would taunt like that, he would Ko is opponent or at the very least try to. Thats the part about Anderson I disliked. He has incredible talent and skills. I liked his cockiness in the first 2 rounds because he was pasting Maia with great strikes too. For whatever reason in the last 3 rounds, he less interested in fighting and more interested in dancing with the stars. In my opinion, a champion should come to fight, for the whole fight, even if Maia was way over matched.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
I loved watching roy jones in his prime. He was probably one of the most gifted fighters of all time. He could do things most fighters could only dream of. He was cocky in fights too. He would talk, he would give his chin, he would hit his own face, he would wave a fighter in, dance around like a rooster and all that stuff. Sort of like what Anderson was doing the other night. The difference is, when jones would taunt like that, he would Ko is opponent or at the very least try to. Thats the part about Anderson I disliked. He has incredible talent and skills. I liked his cockiness in the first 2 rounds because he was pasting Maia with great strikes too. For whatever reason in the last 3 rounds, he less interested in fighting and more interested in dancing with the stars. In my opinion, a champion should come to fight, for the whole fight, even if Maia was way over matched.
if I'm the champ, I'm doing anything to keep the belt around my waist. Not only that, but there is also money on the line. His talking was disrespectful, but like JB said, it's like a football team running out the clock. Dana says he wants MMa to be as big as the NFL? In pro sports winning is everything, it doesn't matter how pretty it is, as long as you're ahead when the clock hits zeroes.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzoFoShizzo View Post
if I'm the champ, I'm doing anything to keep the belt around my waist. Not only that, but there is also money on the line. His talking was disrespectful, but like JB said, it's like a football team running out the clock. Dana says he wants MMa to be as big as the NFL? In pro sports winning is everything, it doesn't matter how pretty it is, as long as you're ahead when the clock hits zeroes.
I suppose that's fine as long as the judges score it for you in the end. But unlike the NFL, scoring in MMA is subjective, and you can never be sure how the judges saw the fight. As such, a fighter is taking a much greater risk trying to elude, not take damage, and ride out the remaining rounds, than a football team is taking a knee three times in a row to end a game. Without there being a definative, known, score, if a fighter can finish a fight, its in his best interest to finish it--fan entertainment factor aside.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Krupp

Quote:
Not a boxing fan I take it?
Frankly, for some reason, I'm starting to appreciate boxing more than mma these days...i'm not sure why though.

With that said I can't wait to see the Mosley/Mayweather fight. That'll be a good one.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
Frankly, for some reason, I'm starting to appreciate boxing more than mma these days...i'm not sure why though.

With that said I can't wait to see the Mosley/Mayweather fight. That'll be a good one.
I love both sports, but I'm pretty much a sports nut.

Boxing has a very rich and interesting history all over the world. I can sit for hours and just watch old fights and interviews on Youtube, and the nostalgia of it still excites me as much as it did 20 years ago when I was a kid.