Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Max

Default Greg Jackson liked Silva's fight

From mmamainia.com
http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/14/14...son-silvas-ufc

"I actually really enjoyed the first part of the fight, with Anderson changing up his style, like he would do Machida, then he would kind of do the Diaz brothers' thing, then Muhammad Ali. I was actually very entertained with all the different styles that he was emulating as he was going after him. And then for the last half of the fight, I think he got so far ahead he played it smart, or he got tired. One way or the other, to me, it's not a disgrace at all. It was a fight and sometimes you look great and sometimes you have one with a little more grinding. But playing it smart or getting tired and not engaging because you're a little tired isn't a disgrace to me."
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
But playing it smart or getting tired and not engaging because you're a little tired isn't a disgrace to me."

Well it might not be disgraceful to Greg, but it sure isn't fun/entertaining/exciting to watch for most of the rest of us.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Right View Post
Well it might not be disgraceful to Greg, but it sure isn't fun/entertaining/exciting to watch for most of the rest of us.
heres the deal, when you train GSP you really cant call another fighter boring. So Greg says he likes the fight and then GSP can just keep the boredom wagon rolling and when GSP puts on another snoozer Greg can say he found it exciting.

With that being said I will give GSP more credit than Silva. GSP has a game plan that is to control the action and stay safe. He is never gonna finish a fight but he does keep working to keep control. Silva on the other hand can finish the fight at any time and he just chooses not to. He dances and avoids contact simply because he wants to play around with the guy he is fighting. If I had to pick one I would pick GSP's style every time.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Right View Post
I liked the fight and didn't find it disgraceful at all.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
so you dont find it disgraceful when a fighter has to be warned by the ref for not fighting?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Are you kidding me?! Silva acted like a fool plain and simple. He was disrespectful to the entire organization and fans - he made everyone that invested in that fight look like a fool too. I could've went to the zoo and watch monkeys for $8 if I wanted to see that crap! And I don't believe a single word he said about Maia disrespecting him. Look up the fightersonly article about what Silva actually said. No fighter, no wait, no person period has a right to speak to another person that way. It is trashy. Anderson looked like a coward if you ask me. He dished out punches and smack the first 2 rounds then ran from Maia the rest of the fight because he got tired. hell where is the respect in that to the sport? People pay to watch fights. Watching a monkey run in circles would have provided the same entertainment valve for a lower cost!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
so you dont find it disgraceful when a fighter has to be warned by the ref for not fighting?
Nope. Not when that fighter has already clearly dominated the fight and there is under a minute left in the final round. Just like I don't care when football teams run the clock out at the end of a game. Thats just me.

The only reason Big Dan did that was to save face because fans were booing. If he really felt like Silva needed to be warned or penalized he should have said something WAY before that.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Are you kidding me?! Silva acted like a fool plain and simple. He was disrespectful to the entire organization and fans - he made everyone that invested in that fight look like a fool too. I could've went to the zoo and watch monkeys for $8 if I wanted to see that crap! And I don't believe a single word he said about Maia disrespecting him. Look up the fightersonly article about what Silva actually said. No fighter, no wait, no person period has a right to speak to another person that way. It is trashy. Anderson looked like a coward if you ask me. He dished out punches and smack the first 2 rounds then ran from Maia the rest of the fight because he got tired. hell where is the respect in that to the sport? People pay to watch fights. Watching a monkey run in circles would have provided the same entertainment valve for a lower cost!
He actually didn't RUN from Maia the rest of the fight, and I have watched it enough times to have a firm grasp on what I saw, but I'm not concerned with changing you or anybody's opinion on the fight. It's a subjective matter, and most fans have typical knee-jerk reactions after every fight that I rarely agree with.

If you think the guy is "trashy" and feel you are in a position to judge Silva on a personal level over something that that is as subjective as a performance in a spectator sport like Mixed Martial Arts, then by all means go to the Zoo and spend your $8 on monkeys.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
wavetar

I was highly entertained the first 2 rounds of the fight. Yeah, then it got boring...but mainly because Maia was in so far over his head that he couldn't do anything to bring the fight to Silva. Try a takedown, get his face put into the mat...stand still & take almost 100% of the shots Silva threw...no blocking or dodging. Throw a few punches, and have Silva make him look foolish by dodging every one of them. Sure, Silva was a bit of an ass-clown, but I didn't find it nearly the atrocity that most people are making it out to be.

Despite the set back in losing to Sonnen, I still think Nate Marquardt has the best chance at beating Silva.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
I was highly Despite the set back in losing to Sonnen, I still think Nate Marquardt has the best chance at beating Silva.
I agree about Nate, I wanted him to get a rematch. Wasn't sure how Maia would fare against Silva after Nate disposed of him in 21 seconds, guess we found out.