Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
At least you admit that much. That's more than can be said for most fans.

The problem is that fans are fickle, and it's a "what have you done for me lately" attitude. GSP or Silva could go out and KO 10 guys in a row in the first round, and then if they have a few fights go the distance in less than aesthetically pleasing and the whole fight community will crap all over them.

No fighter is beyond it, not BJ, not Fedor, not even Matt. It's sad but true, and it's why I take so much issue with fans frivolous and typically senseless rantings.
I enjoy seeing anderson fight for the most part. I will continue to buy and watch ppv's with him on it because I enjoy seeing the way he moves. But I did not like the fact that he chose to call Maia names during this fight and did not finish it becasue he wanted to punish Maia.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I enjoy seeing anderson fight for the most part. I will continue to buy and watch ppv's with him on it because I enjoy seeing the way he moves. But I did not like the fact that he chose to call Maia names during this fight and did not finish it becasue he wanted to punish Maia.
If the trash talking bothered you, that is fine. People are entitled to feel that way, but I don't really see it the same way.

Besides, it's not like the UFC paints the perfect model for morality by any means. How can Dana White stand in the post-fight presser and act so appalled after some of the atrocious things he has personally said and done over the years?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Max

Quote:
If the trash talking bothered you, that is fine. People are entitled to feel that way, but I don't really see it the same way.

Besides, it's not like the UFC paints the perfect model for morality by any means. How can Dana White stand in the post-fight presser and act so appalled after some of the atrocious things he has personally said and done over the years?
i agree and before a fight i am fine with the trash talk I just would like for the fighters to respect each other when the fight is going on
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
i agree and before a fight i am fine with the trash talk I just would like for the fighters to respect each other when the fight is going on
I understand that take, but I don't see it exactly the same way.

It IS a fight, and in the heat of competition a lot of athletes get hyped up and talk smack. I also see that as a direct part of Silva's game-plan. If Silva calls his opponent a few names and that forces the guy to get pissed-off and rush in carelessly out of anger, then Silva can counter-strike him to death. It may not be a strategy that people always attach themselves too, but to me it's just another part of the game and I don't get bothered by it.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Max

Quote:
I understand that take, but I don't see it exactly the same way.

It IS a fight, and in the heat of competition a lot of athletes get hyped up and talk smack. I also see that as a direct part of Silva's game-plan. If Silva calls his opponent a few names and that forces the guy to get pissed-off and rush in carelessly out of anger, then Silva can counter-strike him to death. It may not be a strategy that people always attach themselves too, but to me it's just another part of the game and I don't get bothered by it.
i can understand that and had Silva just came out and said that was what he was trying to do i would have been fine with it. But he said what he did was a response to how Maia acted / what he said. Just tell us the truth.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
i can understand that and had Silva just came out and said that was what he was trying to do i would have been fine with it. But he said what he did was a response to how Maia acted / what he said. Just tell us the truth.
It was likely a mixture of both, and none of us are actually in Silva's head to say one way or the other, just like none of us are in GSP's head to know what he was thinking during his fight with Hardy.

Still, as I said earlier in another thread, it's also a bit of a stressful situation to stick a microphone in a guys face and start interrogating him while he is still in the cage after a fight and thousands of people are booing him, and then even backstage at the press conference when you have your boss standing there and publicly chastising you as if you are some sort of giant disgrace or a horrible person, especially when that person is Dana White, lol...

If I were Silva, I would have offered no apology and said nothing that night.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
KevinD

Quote:

If that was Silva's game plan it didn't work.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
If that was Silva's game plan it didn't work.
Damian Maia's nose and eye would respectfully disagree.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM
logrus

I would think that if you have the nerve to hype your fight up. You should be able to hype it during the fight as well.

I could see where Silva was coming from in a way. A guy says hes going to break you and choke you out. Then for 10 mins only throws a handful of punches.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 AM
logrus

Quote:
Damian Maia's nose and eye would respectfully disagree.

Tis but a scratch Besides its not like I got a 180 day suspension