Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Of course, and while I am little younger, I completely understand that view as a fan of the teams I have been dedicated to my whole life. It's why I am such a huge fan of guys like Matt Hughes, or Kurt Warner for example.

Still it seems as if, at times, we are all forced to defend ourselves morally for standing behind certain athlete's positions, giving them the benefit of the doubt in some circumstances, or for wanting to see them succeed after making a mistake. For instance, would I be wrong if I said I am actually cheering for Tiger Woods, or Michael Vick, to be successful again?
I don't think you would be wrong at all.. but at some point we'll end up with apples and oranges (team/individual). I can't think of many athletes I actually want to fail... (Diaz bros maybe?) but there are certainly athletes I won't cheer for, but again we're talking individual vs. team again.

I do try to give athletes the benefit of the doubt and with Ben I may feel differently in a day or two but for now... with emotions running a little high... I want him gone. Now if he comes to camp in shape and starts to represent the Steelers a little more.. I might just be fine with that, who knows? But for now my love for the Steelers trumps my love for Ben.

I think most people who are NFL fans would agree (like them or not) that the Steelers are one of the elite franchises in the NFL. Being a QB for them should carry a little extra weight, be played with a little extra pride and weight on your shoulders. I just don't think Ben understands or appreciates that.

FYI I'm cheering for Tiger too but purely as a selfish sports fan who appreciates seeing the game played at his level. Vick? Pretty ambiguous on that one honestly. Not a fan or a hater.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:34 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Reminds me of the movie "Semi-Pro" where Woody Harrelson's character was traded to the Tropics for a washing machine.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Reminds me of the movie "Semi-Pro" where Woody Harrelson's character was traded to the Tropics for a washing machine.
Except that was actually a good trade for the Flint Tropics....