Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 AM
billwilliams70

Default Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to Jets for a used blocking sled

The first surprising news of the evening was that the Pittsburgh Steelers traded troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets.

Read more here.......

Chuck......what are your thoughts?

Later.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

They were gonna cut him anyway, good deal for Pittsburgh. Now they just gotta put a leash on Big Ben.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 AM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
They were gonna cut him anyway, good deal for Pittsburgh. Now they just gotta put a leash on Big Ben.
So true. I read that the charges were dropped and that the accuser didn't want to go to trial......but this is the second time something like this has happened with Big Ben and it's a situation that he shouldn't be putting himself in.

Later.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
So true. I read that the charges were dropped and that the accuser didn't want to go to trial......but this is the second time something like this has happened with Big Ben and it's a situation that he shouldn't be putting himself in.

Later.
Roger Goodell likely agrees, and that's why the NFL is the best pro-sports organization in America. They do damage control like no-other.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post

The first surprising news of the evening was that the Pittsburgh Steelers traded troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets.

Read more here.......

Chuck......what are your thoughts?

Later.
I think it's a great move and I hope they trade Ben next. I'd like him gone today. I care much more about the integrity and legacy of the Steelers and the Rooney family than I do about winning games this year.

The Rooney's won't stand for crap like that from Ben. My guess is he will be gone before this season starts or immediately after. Personally I hope it's sooner rather than later.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I think it's a great move and I hope they trade Ben next. I'd like him gone today. I care much more about the integrity and legacy of the Steelers and the Rooney family than I do about winning games this year.

The Rooney's won't stand for crap like that from Ben. My guess is he will be gone before this season starts or immediately after. Personally I hope it's sooner rather than later.
Wow....that's a curveball

I didn't think you would throw Ben under the bus so quick...

I don't like that he's putting himself in those situations one bit, but do you really want him gone NOW? The girl in the case is likely full of crap and looking to get paid, but I know that is besides the point.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Wow....that's a curveball

I didn't think you would throw Ben under the bus so quick...

I don't like that he's putting himself in those situations one bit, but do you really want him gone NOW? The girl in the case is likely full of crap and looking to get paid, but I know that is besides the point.
To me it's not so quick... In the big picture I don't think he respects the game, his position as a leader or the Steelers franchise. I'm just not a Lombardi trophy collector... win at all costs type of fan.. I'm in love with the franchise.. the history, the legacy... I love HOW we've won and played the game as much as if not more then the fact we've got some rings. If I were an owner/coach I'd protect the franchise at all costs.

I look at this as just another bad choice...

wrecking his bike (no helmet)....
constantly being overweight at the start of every camp and most of the season...
TWO incidents like this now...

He HAS to know better then to go out clubbing... it's just stupid. Dude you're getting paid MILLIONS.. hold off on the club scene for a few more years, retire and party your ass off I don't care..

He just seems to put himself first then the team... He'd make a good Raider if you ask me.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
To me it's not so quick... In the big picture I don't think he respects the game, his position as a leader or the Steelers franchise. I'm just not a Lombardi trophy collector... win at all costs type of fan.. I'm in love with the franchise.. the history, the legacy... I love HOW we've won and played the game as much as if not more then the fact we've got some rings. If I were an owner/coach I'd protect the franchise at all costs.

I look at this as just another bad choice...

wrecking his bike (no helmet)....
constantly being overweight at the start of every camp and most of the season...
TWO incidents like this now...

He HAS to know better then to go out clubbing... it's just stupid. Dude you're getting paid MILLIONS.. hold off on the club scene for a few more years, retire and party your ass off I don't care..

He just seems to put himself first then the team... He'd make a good Raider if you ask me.
You know what....

You are absolutely right, and I forgot about the bike incident and the weight issues. I always enjoy our discussions on these type of things, because you force me to think, and you hit the nail on the head.

For as much as I complain about what fighters in the UFC get paid, there is the other side of the coin where there are athletes who ARE getting paid properly and they still find ways to screw up and slack off.

I also tend to side with people I know who are actually fans of the team in question. For instance, you are a Steelers fan, so your opinion on Big Ben being a member of that team matters more than mine does. If he was a member of the Cardinals, and he actually brought this city a Super Bowl championship, I might be a little more forgiving, but then again we have NEVER won a championship...

Does that make ME a bad person?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Chuck

Quote:
You know what....

You are absolutely right, and I forgot about the bike incident and the weight issues. I always enjoy our discussions on these type of things, because you force me to think, and you hit the nail on the head.

For as much as I complain about what fighters in the UFC get paid, there is the other side of the coin where there are athletes who ARE getting paid properly and they still find ways to screw up and slack off.

I also tend to side with people I know who are actually fans of the team in question. For instance, you are a Steelers fan, so your opinion on Big Ben being a member of that team matters more than mine does. If he was a member of the Cardinals, and he actually brought this city a Super Bowl championship, I might be a little more forgiving, but then again we have NEVER won a championship...

Does that make ME a bad person?
Of course not bro!!!

But I've loved the Steelers for 34+ years now... it's like a marriage not a date. I'll be a Steelers fan till I die so this moment, this team, this QB is just a chapter in a long, long novel. If the Lord blesses me with another 30 or so years on this Earth I'd like to think we can pick up another 2-3 rings (maybe more) but if we do.... IF we do, I want it to be the right way.. with players that make good choices on and off the field.

Legacy > Wins in my book anyway.

That's why I love teams like the Bears or even the Ravens. As a Steeler fan I HATE THE RAVENS more than anybody in the NFL... BUT.. as an NFL fan, I respect them. They play us hard every time.

I guess it's kinda like my son who's entering his 3rd year as a HS wrestler... he knows that his character will always trump his win/losses in my book. I teach him to respect his opponent by trying his hardest every single match. Respect him by losing with grace and winning with class. Every time he pins a kid he bends over to help them up, slaps them on the back and says good match. When that happens I'm more proud of that than I am of the pin.

And when that doesn't happen.... well.... I'm STILL proud of the pin!!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Of course not bro!!!

But I've loved the Steelers for 34+ years now... it's like a marriage not a date. I'll be a Steelers fan till I die so this moment, this team, this QB is just a chapter in a long, long novel. If the Lord blesses me with another 30 or so years on this Earth I'd like to think we can pick up another 2-3 rings (maybe more) but if we do.... IF we do, I want it to be the right way.. with players that make good choices on and off the field.

Legacy > Wins in my book anyway.

That's why I love teams like the Bears or even the Ravens. As a Steeler fan I HATE THE RAVENS more than anybody in the NFL... BUT.. as an NFL fan, I respect them. They play us hard every time.

I guess it's kinda like my son who's entering his 3rd year as a HS wrestler... he knows that his character will always trump his win/losses in my book. I teach him to respect his opponent by trying his hardest every single match. Respect him by losing with grace and winning with class. Every time he pins a kid he bends over to help them up, slaps them on the back and says good match. When that happens I'm more proud of that than I am of the pin.

And when that doesn't happen.... well.... I'm STILL proud of the pin!!!!!
Of course, and while I am little younger, I completely understand that view as a fan of the teams I have been dedicated to my whole life. It's why I am such a huge fan of guys like Matt Hughes, or Kurt Warner for example.

Still it seems as if, at times, we are all forced to defend ourselves morally for standing behind certain athlete's positions, giving them the benefit of the doubt in some circumstances, or for wanting to see them succeed after making a mistake. For instance, would I be wrong if I said I am actually cheering for Tiger Woods, or Michael Vick, to be successful again?