Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM
KevinD

Chael should be very careful talking all that crap. It might hurt Anderson Silva's feelings again and we will all have to watch him run around the ring and act like a jackass all over again.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97 View Post
That's because all of those guys fell into his trap. I've figured out that Anderson does not like to fight coming forward and being the aggressor. It exposes him too much for the takedown amongst other things. He much prefers when guys come at him and he's able to be a counter-striker.

Most guys play right into his hands by coming forward and either engaging or attempting to take him down. In the end, they usually get caught and put down.

Here's my thoughts on how to beat him...(I was bored and went on YouTube and other sites and watched several of his fights today)

He likes to leave that lead leg out there forward - so, kick it often and kick it hard. Use a lot of combinations in which you use the punches to set up leg kicks.

Secondly, you have to employ a "Frankie Edgar" strategy and really concentrate on movement both side-to-side as well as jumping in and out. Don't come straight forward. Use angles and again, don't worry about actually punching him. Use the punches to set up leg kicks. Chop him down.

Another key is to use a lot of feints. I noticed that he often drops his hands and attempts to catch or push away an opponents strike or takedown attempt. So, a fighter needs to really work on throwing a lot of feints at him. That will keep him guessing and you're likely to catch him off balance.

Lastly, a fighter must work a lot on his defense so that he can cover up well in order to bait Anderson in a little. In other words, he has to let Anderson think he's hurt so Silva will come forward and attack. Again, he's vulnerable when he comes forward and that's exactly why he won't engage. Lately, he's been fighting guys who aren't going to come right at him and I think that's why he's taunting so much and trying the psychological warfare to get them to come at him so that he can counter.

Honestly, I see Chael Sonnen getting put down. GSP is the only competitor that I think stands a genuine chance of coming right at Silva because his shot is so incredibly quick and explosive. For the average person, they're bound to wind up with a knee for their troubles.

I think Vitor Belfort stands the best chance at 185 if he shows up. He has the hand speed and the boxing prowess to do exactly what I have described. He just has to remain disciplined and methodical.
Great analysis.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Maldonado136

people are letting their disdain for silva cloud their judgement. sonnen is not a better fighter than anderson. everybody hated him after the leites fight but then those same people loved him after the griffin fight. people always flip flop and they only remember the most recent fight that has happened when they form their opinions. if he tkos his next opponent everyone will be praising his existence once again.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Great analysis.
It really is!

Someone should send out copies of it to all future prospective opponents of Anderson's. Give them something to think about.