Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
you're being overly sensitive again. Must you not see Rich's legacy avenged???

I know I must see it
"avenged"?

And you think I'm being sensitive?

Rich Franklin is cool, but I like Anderson Silva too. I'm not on board with all the haters and knee jerk reactions.

I am a Matt Hughes fan, if somebody like Sonnen tries to discredit Matt's legacy, I'm gonna call it out. That's how it goes. Tell me, do you agree with what Sonnen said?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
that's the most frustrating thing about that fight, is that when you put Anderson up against someone who is supposed to be a legitimate threat he has no problem finishing them in the first 2 rounds (ie: Marquardt, Hendo, Franklin, Lutter, etc).
The UFC needs to stop feeding bread crumbs to a lion who is hungry for steak.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 AM
gymcoach97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
that's the most frustrating thing about that fight, is that when you put Anderson up against someone who is supposed to be a legitimate threat he has no problem finishing them in the first 2 rounds (ie: Marquardt, Hendo, Franklin, Lutter, etc).
That's because all of those guys fell into his trap. I've figured out that Anderson does not like to fight coming forward and being the aggressor. It exposes him too much for the takedown amongst other things. He much prefers when guys come at him and he's able to be a counter-striker.

Most guys play right into his hands by coming forward and either engaging or attempting to take him down. In the end, they usually get caught and put down.

Here's my thoughts on how to beat him...(I was bored and went on YouTube and other sites and watched several of his fights today)

He likes to leave that lead leg out there forward - so, kick it often and kick it hard. Use a lot of combinations in which you use the punches to set up leg kicks.

Secondly, you have to employ a "Frankie Edgar" strategy and really concentrate on movement both side-to-side as well as jumping in and out. Don't come straight forward. Use angles and again, don't worry about actually punching him. Use the punches to set up leg kicks. Chop him down.

Another key is to use a lot of feints. I noticed that he often drops his hands and attempts to catch or push away an opponents strike or takedown attempt. So, a fighter needs to really work on throwing a lot of feints at him. That will keep him guessing and you're likely to catch him off balance.

Lastly, a fighter must work a lot on his defense so that he can cover up well in order to bait Anderson in a little. In other words, he has to let Anderson think he's hurt so Silva will come forward and attack. Again, he's vulnerable when he comes forward and that's exactly why he won't engage. Lately, he's been fighting guys who aren't going to come right at him and I think that's why he's taunting so much and trying the psychological warfare to get them to come at him so that he can counter.

Honestly, I see Chael Sonnen getting put down. GSP is the only competitor that I think stands a genuine chance of coming right at Silva because his shot is so incredibly quick and explosive. For the average person, they're bound to wind up with a knee for their troubles.

I think Vitor Belfort stands the best chance at 185 if he shows up. He has the hand speed and the boxing prowess to do exactly what I have described. He just has to remain disciplined and methodical.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Gymcoach97 is right on the money.

If you are gonna beat Anderson, your gonna have to beat him at his own game in order to bait him into your game and catch him when he is vulnerable, which is easier said than done. When Anderson gets flashy the worst thing a fighter can do is get angry and play right into his hand.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 AM
donaldbreland

There is three fights I would like to see Anderson Fight. any would work. at 205 Jon Bones Jones. At 185 Robbie Lawler. bring robbie back to the UFC. And Matt at 170. I wouldn't mind seeing Matt fight him at 185 or a catch weight of 180.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
There is three fights I would like to see Anderson Fight. any would work. at 205 Jon Bones Jones. At 185 Robbie Lawler. bring robbie back to the UFC. And Matt at 170. I wouldn't mind seeing Matt fight him at 185 or a catch weight of 180.
The only one of those I would like to see is Jon Bones Jones..
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Rich Franklin is cool, but I like Anderson Silva too. I'm not on board with all the haters and knee jerk reactions.

I am a Matt Hughes fan, if somebody like Sonnen tries to discredit Matt's legacy, I'm gonna call it out. That's how it goes. Tell me, do you agree with what Sonnen said?
Bollocks that! Anderson called Matt a midget...did you complain about that?

No I don't agree with what Chael said about Matt, but I like Chael because he is honest and pulls no punches. How many other MW's are calling AS out these days?

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Bollocks that! Anderson called Matt a midget...did you complain about that?

No I don't agree with what Chael said about Matt, but I like Chael because he is honest and pulls no punches. How many other MW's are calling AS out these days?
That's not what I remember. In fact, when there was talks of Hughes fighting Anderson, I remember Silva saying....

Quote:
"I would love to fight Matt Hughes if the UFC asked me to. He is a great fighter, and those are the people I want to fight."

http://www.mmamania.com/2007/10/23/u...h-matt-hughes/
If you would care to provide me a link or some proof of Silva calling Matt a midget I would like to see it. If he DID say that, of course I would laugh, but let's be honest...a bigger guy calling a smaller guy a midget is not as bad as a fighter like Sonnen who barely has any names on his resume to come out and question the legacy of Matt Hughes.

If you like Chael, that is fine, but I don't really care for him. Good for him on being honest and pulling no punches, but I think he has a giant stick up his ass and Silva is likely to pull it out and beat with him it.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That's not what I remember. In fact, when there was talks of Hughes fighting Anderson, I remember Silva saying....

If you would care to provide me a link or some proof of Silva calling Matt a midget I would like to see it. If he DID say that, of course I would laugh, but let's be honest...a bigger guy calling a smaller guy a midget is not as bad as a fighter like Sonnen who barely has any names on his resume to come out and question the legacy of Matt Hughes.
I read it in an MMA magazine at a bookstore, must have been 2-3 years ago when AS was pretty new...it was pros opinion of Matt Hughes...they went down a list, most were OK, some were respectful, others were like AS. All I can remember is him saying to the tune of "I think he's a midget and I'd like to know him out".

He never said Matt sucked though. Chael is just hyping himself. He wants to be the Omarosa of MMA I guess

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
He never said Matt sucked though. Chael is just hyping himself. He wants to be the Omarosa of MMA I guess
He just wants to get paid.

Silva will likely oblige him, and then knock him out.