Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzoFoShizzo View Post
So your saying that because A person watches mma they can't critisize a fighter because they don't fight themselves? What's the point of being a fan then? This situation is totally different than the GSP fight too. GSP spent the whole fight engaged with his opponent but Andy didn't risk anything in that fight. I'm not one to ever boo someone for anything, but if ever there was a time, andersons fight was it. I am an Anderson fan, but I was let down by that fight. Only because we all know what the man is capable of, and that wasn't it.
Did I say that anywhere in my post? No, I didn't.

Criticisms and entertainment value are subjective issues that are "in the eye of the beholder", and fans are free to hold whatever opinion they like. However, it's pretty stupid for a bunch of people to call fighters names like "bitch" or "pussy", and there are some people doing that.

If you wanna boo, go right ahead, but I think it's stupid. Cheering for your favorite fighters, and even taking small verbal jabs at a rival is one thing, but booing and disrespecting some of these guys to the degree that people take it is just out of line in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
So are you saying that Edgar does not have BJ's number? That perhaps it was only a fluke that Edgar won and that you are hereby the captain of the BJ excuse wagon express?
i don't think you can call a close decision having someones number ... imo i think that BJ is a better fighter, and would beat frankie 99/100 times .. just like i think gsp would be serra 99/100 times or even more ...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Did I say that anywhere in my post? No, I didn't.

Criticisms and entertainment value are subjective issues that are "in the eye of the beholder", and fans are free to hold whatever opinion they like. However, it's pretty stupid for a bunch of people to call fighters names like "bitch" or "pussy", and there are some people doing that.

If you wanna boo, go right ahead, but I think it's stupid. Cheering for your favorite fighters, and even taking small verbal jabs at a rival is one thing, but booing and disrespecting some of these guys to the degree that people take it is just out of line in my opinion.
I totally 1000% agree with you. I have never been the type to be totally disrespectful of any athlete in any sport. I'm sorry I took your keyboard warrior comment as a shot at myself. But I do agree with you and I was probably a little harsh about the north American crowd, but I just found it refreshing to not hear boos evertime a fight spent more than 10 seconds on the ground.

Now here's what I think about the crowd booing Anderson. Anderson talked alot of crap in that fight, and the whole crowd, both present and at home could see that. I know Anderson was just talking smack to get Maia to engage, which is cool. But I look at the crowd booing that fight as them talking smack to Anderson to get him to engage. IMO In certain situations I believe that it is alright to voice displeasure in a spectator sport, and I would count that as one of them. I know how you feel about that and I respect your opinions because your always on here defending fighters and I totally appreciate that.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzoFoShizzo View Post
I totally 1000% agree with you. I have never been the type to be totally disrespectful of any athlete in any sport. I'm sorry I took your keyboard warrior comment as a shot at myself. But I do agree with you and I was probably a little harsh about the north American crowd, but I just found it refreshing to not hear boos evertime a fight spent more than 10 seconds on the ground.

Now here's what I think about the crowd booing Anderson. Anderson talked alot of crap in that fight, and the whole crowd, both present and at home could see that. I know Anderson was just talking smack to get Maia to engage, which is cool. But I look at the crowd booing that fight as them talking smack to Anderson to get him to engage. IMO In certain situations I believe that it is alright to voice displeasure in a spectator sport, and I would count that as one of them. I know how you feel about that and I respect your opinions because your always on here defending fighters and I totally appreciate that.
Fans can voice displeasure whenever they want, but I don't have to agree with it.

Fans feel a sense of entitlement that I don't think really exists. Dana treats the fans as if they are shareholders in the company, and while that might make him popular with some, I think it's ridiculous. I watch and support the UFC because I am a fan of the sport. When I pay $50 for a PPV, or even if I paid $1000 for a ticket, the fighters and Dana do not owe me anything more than a night of fights to watch. If I felt like I knew how to go out and implement a gameplan better than Anderson Silva, GSP, or any other pro fighters, I wouldn't boo them, I would be knocking guys out in smaller orgs and running my mouth until the UFC decided to take notice.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Fans can voice displeasure whenever they want, but I don't have to agree with it.

Fans feel a sense of entitlement that I don't think really exists. Dana treats the fans as if they are shareholders in the company, and while that might make him popular with some, I think it's ridiculous. I watch and support the UFC because I am a fan of the sport. When I pay $50 for a PPV, or even if I paid $1000 for a ticket, the fighters and Dana do not owe me anything more than a night of fights to watch.
So you would pay $50.00 to watch Rumble on the Rock?? Or Strikeforce Challenger Series?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

You are right, and like you said in the other thread, without fans scrutinizing every move, play, decision etc, sports do not exist on the level they do now.

Alright, sorry for derailing the thread when there are like 3 others on the subject already
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I thought the fight was great, I'm just surprised BJ didn't try to put the fight on the ground when it seemed fairly obvious he was losing the standup war. Had he employed a different strategy, at least keeping Edgar guessing, he probably would have won.

Big props to Frankie, he has been surprising a lot of people!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't think you can call a close decision having someones number ... imo i think that BJ is a better fighter, and would beat frankie 99/100 times .. just like i think gsp would be serra 99/100 times or even more ...
99/100 times?? You must be in a BJ induced nuthugger trance. For you to be so faithful to BJ, so entirely devoted to believing he is that great after he has fought Edgar ONLY once to me, reeks of excuses for BJ. . .I will put that on the list captain

Even BJ's mom would agree

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 AM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
99/100 times?? You must be in a BJ induced nuthugger trance. For you to be so faithful to BJ, so entirely devoted to believing he is that great after he has fought Edgar ONLY once to me, reeks of excuses for BJ. . .I will put that on the list captain

Even BJ's mom would agree
Oh please, people say stuff like this all the time and we know you don't have to take them 100% literal. If i see about 50 cars outside my house, i might say "there is like a million cars out there". His point was that he feels BJ is still by far the better fighter, which MOST people in mma agree with(just look at other boards and mma sites). I guess anyone who thinks Matt Hughes is a legend must be a nuthugger too right? Maybe your post was sarcastic, but if not, your post reeks of bj hatred.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
Oh please, people say stuff like this all the time and we know you don't have to take them 100% literal. If i see about 50 cars outside my house, i might say "there is like a million cars out there". His point was that he feels BJ is still by far the better fighter, which MOST people in mma agree with(just look at other boards and mma sites). I guess anyone who thinks Matt Hughes is a legend must be a nuthugger too right? Maybe your post was sarcastic, but if not, your post reeks of bj hatred.
Ditto!!