Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default ****SPOILER ALERT**** Articles about Matt's fight

From MMAWeekly.com:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [FONT=Georgia
HUGHES NOW 2 FOR 2 AGAINST GRACIE FAMILY[/FONT]

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes made it 2 for 2 against the Gracie family on Saturday in Abu Dhabi as he decided to out strike Renzo Gracie for three rounds, punishing the Brazilian with leg kicks before blasting him with punches to end it late in the fight.

Two ground fighters stepped into the octagon at UFC 112, but a stand-up fight broke out with both Hughes and Gracie deciding to stand instead of ever hitting the mat during the bout.

The early going showed a strong counter attack from Renzo Gracie, who tried to time Hughes and catch him with punches, but never connected with anything heavy. On the other side, Hughes employed a disciplined striking attack centered around leg kicks that punished the Brazilian's legs at every turn.

By the third round, Gracie's legs were like rubber as he started to wear out and fell to his back a couple times in the round as Hughes continued to blast away at his lead leg. Hughes knew Gracie was fading so he stepped in and threw heavy uppercuts, as Gracie wilted under the pressure and referee Herb Dean stopped the fight.

"I was actually pretty happy," said Hughes about his performance. "I knew Renzo came in throwing strong, wide looping punches, so I tried to stay in tight, move away and just do things real simple."

Traditionally a wrestler who uses his ground and pound to soften up opponents, Hughes admits that he had a specific stand-up gameplan to employ against Gracie, and he stuck to it the entire time.

"I'm fighting a Gracie, somebody like Renzo, I've got to put the odds in my side," said Hughes.

As for Gracie, the legend had the crowd on his side in Abu Dhabi, but looked tired as the fight wore on. UFC commentator Joe Rogan asked him very simply after the fight if he believes he should have taken a tune-up fight before stepping in with someone like Hughes for his first bout back in over 2 years.

"What kind of fighter would I be if I did that?" Gracie answered.

With the win, Hughes has defeated another legend, but he might have another Renzo Gracie blackbelt staring him down in the future with both Matt Serra and Ricardo Almeida in his division.
Good stuff in BOLD.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM
rearnakedchoke

Bring on Rickson !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Allons-y

This one's from MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC 112: Matt Hughes KOs Renzo Gracie

A battle between a wrestler and a grappler stayed almost entirely on the feet as Matt Hughes overcame a sluggish start to knock out Renzo Gracie late in the third round of their fight at UFC 112.

For Hughes, the victory was his 17th in the Octagon, breaking a tie with Chuck Liddell for the most in UFC history. As if there was any doubt before, there can be no doubt now that Hughes is one of the very best fighters in the history of mixed martial arts.

Hughes is a wrestler and Gracie comes from the first family of Brazilian jiu jitsu, but both of them seemed very comfortable keeping the fight on their feet in the early going, with Gracie landing the cleaner and more effective punches and also landing a couple of kicks. It wasn't the most exciting of rounds, and it could have gone either way, although I personall scored it for Gracie.

Hughes started the second round with a couple of very powerful leg kicks, but after that Gracie returned to his in-and-out punching style and continued to employ it very effectively against Hughes. At one point Hughes got double underhooks and managed to take Gracie down briefly, but Gracie got right back up. I gave the second round to Gracie as well.

In the third round Hughes connected with a right hook to Gracie's chin, backed away and then connected with a leg kick and another punch. That backed Gracie up against the fence and Hughes started to take control, and with two minutes to go in the fight he knocked Gracie down with a leg kick. Gracie took all the time he could before Hughes finally helped him up and then dropped him with a second leg kick. Gracie stalled again, and then when he finally stood up Hughes floored him with a punch, let him get up and then attacked again. Hughes finally knocked Gracie down with a fourth punch, and at that point referee Herb Dean ended it.

"I was pretty happy," Hughes said afterward, adding that he wanted it to be a stand up fight because, "fighting a Gracie, I had to keep the odds in my favor."

The 43-year-old Gracie, who hadn't fought in three years, was asked afterward if he should have fought an easier opponent than Hughes in his comeback match. But he dismissed that thought, saying, "What kind of fighter would I be if I did that?"

Gracie is a great fighter. But Hughes showed on Saturday that he's even greater.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Bring on Rickson !!!!!!!!!
Dude, no way! He's like 800-0 in street fights!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Stump Rules!

Here's a good post fight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7WemLH9TQ

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 AM

That was a good interview with Matt.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 AM
KevinD

Matt is a true champion, that is displayed in every interview he does. Awesome fight!!