Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Chuck

Default Killer Instinct????

**********SPOILERS*************

So the topic of having a "killer instinct" and "finishing fights" was pretty prevalent around here after the GSP fight and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about that after seeing the last 3 fights today?

There were lots of comments about "entertainment value".... fighters who entertain being put ahead of boring fighters who lose etc...

So those of you who were on your soapbox about finishing fights, laying it on the line and entertainment value let's here it!! Do you have anything to share after the card today?

Let's review the last 3 fights...

BJ today......

Killer Instinct? I think not.
Entertaining? Marginally.
Laying it all on the line? Nope.

Anderson today...

Killer Instinct? You're kidding right?
Entertaining? Perhaps... a little amusing in the first 2.5 rounds anyway.

Matt today... Lets be honest here....
Killer Instinct? Quite the opposite.
Entertaining? As a Hughes fan? HELL YEAH!!! As an unbiased MMA fan? Maybe.

Now before the MOD's freak out I'm NOT saying anything about Matt that I feel is negative. I thought he fought a very smart fight, his hands looked good and he took care of business. Much like GSP did a few weeks ago. Executed a game plan and got the job done. I enjoyed Matt's performance tonight just like I enjoyed GSP a few weeks ago but quite a few people knocked GSP for the reasons I listed above. So I'd just like to know their thoughts now...

So what exactly IS a killer instinct and how important is it to posses?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Liike i said in the spoiler thread... Karma much?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
Liike i said in the spoiler thread... Karma much?
Word.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Liddellfan

In your post, you have Matt killer instinct quite the opposite? I think Matt did have killer instinct, he went in for the kill and finished the fight. He may have helped Renzo up but IMO that showed great sportsmanship and respect. At the end he DID have the killer instinct and went ahead and finished.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
In your post, you have Matt killer instinct quite the opposite? I think Matt did have killer instinct, he went in for the kill and finished the fight. He may have helped Renzo up but IMO that showed great sportsmanship and respect. At the end he DID have the killer instinct and went ahead and finished.
Finishing a fight and having killer instinct are two different things. I don't see the absence of a killer instinct as a bad thing so in my opinion Matt fought with class and respect and I personally enjoy that. But I personally didn't see anything close to a killer instinct. At least not as it was defined by those in the other thread trashing GSP after his last fight.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 PM
rearnakedchoke

i think matt did have the killer instinct today .... i think he figured he could win picking henzo apart and he did ... i think if he took down henzo repeatedly and gnp'd him to death, everyone would have said that is what they expected ... so matt fought outside the box ... he could have gone to a dec, but he went for the kill ...
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 AM

I didn't realize "killer instinct" was discussed in the other thread...I must have missed that. I did get "doesn't finish" from that thread.

1) BJ gassed (not sure why since he wasn't fighting at 170).

2) Anderson....I don't even want to talk about that guy right now!

3) Matt finished his fight (stand-up tko ).

4) And like bj44 said earlier today in the other thread, GSP tried to finish. Like you reminded me, "nobody's perfect".
Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 AM
wpnsman2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i think matt did have the killer instinct today .... i think he figured he could win picking henzo apart and he did ... i think if he took down henzo repeatedly and gnp'd him to death, everyone would have said that is what they expected ... so matt fought outside the box ... he could have gone to a dec, but he went for the kill ...

Im so glad it didn't go to a decision, who knows what would have been the outcome. Those guys were all over Renzo's nuts...

I didn't post on the topic of Renzo earlier last week but was present for his presser at UFC fight night in Charlotte before weigh-ins. He was talking all this bs about Matt wanting to help him "Gracie" in training and Renzo saying he didn't because he knew he would fight Matt one day. Pretty much he was saying he would have been cheating Matt if he accepted his help because he would have learned his game so to speak....I could only roll my eyes and LMAO!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I have yet to watch the fights, so I will withhold my full response until later but just based on the fact that BJ lost, I gotta admit, I have been giggling all afternoon.

here is my face....
Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
The true champion came out in Matt today, Matt has and forever will have the killer instinct, that is what makes a octagon fighter, and nobody can't say Matt is the not one of the best octagon fighter's in history. The thing that separates Matt from the rest is the sense it takes to know when you need to use the killer instinct, and today was proof that he knew that the fight was finished along with Gracie, and I for one was very proud that Matt finished it the way he did. It would have been very easy for Matt to degrade Gracie, but that is not how the twin's roll.