Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post

Lived in the Valley of the Sun for ten years and never really liked the Suns.
Thats how it goes here in Phoenix. It's also why I laugh my ass off every time a Phoenix team does good and people down here jump on the bandwagon.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Thats how it goes here in Phoenix. It's also why I laugh my ass off every time a Phoenix team does good and people down here jump on the bandwagon.
Yeah, I remember that too.

Later.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Born and raised in Joliet IL, but I always had family here in Arizona and kinda doubled back between the two for a while. Now I call AZ my permanent home, and I'm damn proud.

Yes, we love Robin Lopez and he needs to get back asap. Still, this is Nash and Stoudemire's team.

Stockton and Malone AINT GOT NOTHING ON MY BOYS!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opYTM7f2Lv4

Another personal favorite...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikREzeaGqkA

Amar'e is the most under-rated player in the league, true story.
stockton and malone is a stretch lol... i always thought amare played like a prime shawn kemp.. not as good of a dunker or rebounder but with a better jump shot.... Ive always liked the suns though... Kj was my favorite non bulls player growing up!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Have they started calling travels in the NBA yet?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 AM
mscomc

THE RAPTORS ARE GOING TO SWEEP EVERYONE

----- no they are done, I know. But they are the only canadian team, I have to support them, lol.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
stockton and malone is a stretch lol... i always thought amare played like a prime shawn kemp.. not as good of a dunker or rebounder but with a better jump shot.... Ive always liked the suns though... Kj was my favorite non bulls player growing up!!!
I don't think it's really a stretch at all.

In 8 seasons, Amare has put up stats that are quite comparable to Malone. Karl averaged 25 points and 10 rebounds per game for his career, and Amare averages 22 points and 9 rebounds per game for his career. Amare is still making progress and getting better and he has a lot of time ahead of him. Plus, Amare has had some injuries that set him back a little and he missed the whole 2005 season. Even when you compare other stats like field goal percentage, free throw percentage, assists, steals, blocks, and turnovers they both have very similar stats.

On the other end, Steve Nash and John Stockton have also both had very similar careers, but Stockton was a better defensive player than Nash and Nash is a better offensive player than Stockton. Personally, I would take Nash over Stockton, but both men are clearly Hall of Famers, just as is Karl Malone and I believe Amare will be also as long as he stays healthy and keeps on producing as he has up to this point.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's really a stretch at all.

In 8 seasons, Amare has put up stats that are quite comparable to Malone. Karl averaged 25 points and 10 rebounds per game for his career, and Amare averages 22 points and 9 rebounds per game for his career. Amare is still making progress and getting better and he has a lot of time ahead of him. Plus, Amare has had some injuries that set him back a little and he missed the whole 2005 season. Even when you compare other stats like field goal percentage, free throw percentage, assists, steals, blocks, and turnovers they both have very similar stats.

On the other end, Steve Nash and John Stockton have also both had very similar careers, but Stockton was a better defensive player than Nash and Nash is a better offensive player than Stockton. Personally, I would take Nash over Stockton, but both men are clearly Hall of Famers, just as is Karl Malone and I believe Amare will be also as long as he stays healthy and keeps on producing as he has up to this point.
karl malone was a two time mvp though... amare has never even finished top 5 in mvp voting. The only thing they can match stockton and malone at is scoring and that has alot to do with the pace they play at.. The jazz were a grind it out defensive team while the suns are a run and gun team who doesnt play much defense!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
karl malone was a two time mvp though... amare has never even finished top 5 in mvp voting. The only thing they can match stockton and malone at is scoring and that has alot to do with the pace they play at.. The jazz were a grind it out defensive team while the suns are a run and gun team who doesnt play much defense!!!
Steve Nash is a 2 time MVP too, but that is not the point. MVP is not always the best way to grade a person against the rest of the league at the time. Malone got handed the MVP in 97 but we ALL know Jordan was the real MVP and the Bulls beat the Jazz in the finals. The second MVP he got was during the lockout season that was only like 50 games and then the Jazz lost in the second round.

Amare has only played about 7 full seasons, and it's actually less than that. Karl didn't win his MVP's until later in his 19 year career. I am not saying Amare is better than Malone in terms of legacy at this point because I don't have a crystal ball, I am saying in terms of their game and the numbers they put up, they are similar in a lot of ways. Amare's greatness will be tested for sure though, because he is not gonna have Nash much longer. People who think Amare can't play defense don't watch the Suns enough, and also are not taking into consideration the type of game they have morphed into since Mike D'antoni left and we tried the Shaq experiment with Terry Porter as coach, and now with Alvin Gentry. This season has shown a somewhat difference Suns team, not a defensive powerhouse by any means, but not as lax as it used to be with other people on the roster. Still, the Suns are an offensive oriented team with a lot of high output scorers.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about seeing them strap it down and play some tight-d, but in the end this game is about getting the ball in the basket, and the Suns do it better than any team in the league right now. Numbers don't lie.

Last edited by J.B.; 04-10-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Steve Nash is a 2 time MVP too, but that is not the point. MVP is not always the best way to grade a person against the rest of the league at the time. Malone got handed the MVP in 97 but we ALL know Jordan was the real MVP and the Bulls beat the Jazz in the finals. The second MVP he got was during the lockout season that was only like 50 games and then the Jazz lost in the second round.

Amare has only played about 7 full seasons, and it's actually less than that. Karl didn't win his MVP's until later in his 19 year career. I am not saying Amare is better than Malone in terms of legacy at this point because I don't have a crystal ball, I am saying in terms of their game and the numbers they put up, they are similar in a lot of ways. Amare's greatness will be tested for sure though, because he is not gonna have Nash much longer. People who think Amare can't play defense don't watch the Suns enough, and also are not taking into consideration the type of game they have morphed into since Mike D'antoni left and we tried the Shaq experiment with Terry Porter as coach, and now with Alvin Gentry. This season has shown a somewhat difference Suns team, not a defensive powerhouse by any means, but not as lax as it used to be with other people on the roster. Still, the Suns are an offensive oriented team with a lot of high output scorers.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about seeing them strap it down and play some tight-d, but in the end this game is about getting the ball in the basket, and the Suns do it better than any team in the league right now. Numbers don't lie.
Amare played in a system that allowed frickin sean marion to score over 20 points a game. You cant compare numbers.. Nash and stockton are comparable but Nash didnt even score in double figures until like his 5th year in the league

ps while jordan deserved the mvp in 97 Karl deserved it in 98 so it all evens out
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Amare played in a system that allowed frickin sean marion to score over 20 points a game. You cant compare numbers.. Nash and stockton are comparable but Nash didnt even score in double figures until like his 5th year in the league

ps while jordan deserved the mvp in 97 Karl deserved it in 98 so it all evens out
You most certainly can compare the numbers. That Suns system you are talking about was led by WHO? Steve Nash. How many of Karl Malone's points came from John Stockton? They were masters of the pick and roll, and that was their linchpin, kinda like the Bulls with the triangle offense, or the Suns runnning and gunning. They are very strikingly similar when you actually look at it. The only exception being that Stockton and Malone basically played 19 years each without every really suffering serious injuries that sidelined them. Also, nobody can deny that John Stockton is the undisputed king of assists.

Nash didn't score in double digits until his 5th year, but you need context my friend. Nash didn't get many minutes his first two seasons in Phoenix because we were stacked with point guards in Kevin Johnson, Sam Cassell, and Jason Kidd. When he went to Dallas, the first year was the lockout year and the second year he sat out 25 games with an ankle injury. Then he exploded for Dallas and he has been putting up great numbers ever since. Also, to be fair, Stockton didn't put up double digit scoring numbers until his fourth year.

Again, I want to make it clear, I am not saying that Nash/Stoudemire have a more celebrated legacy than Stockton/Malone have, but they are very comparable when you look at the numbers. Obviously the Jazz in the 90's had some great runs with those two leading the way, but they also had some key role players on that squad like Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russel. The Suns have had some great seasons too, but kinda like the Jazz, they have failed to bring home a championship. (hopefully they can change that, lol)

Lastly, two more quick things.... Jordan was the ONLY MVP in the 90's and don't be hatin' on Shawn Marion!

Last edited by J.B.; 04-10-2010 at 09:43 AM.