Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC 99 Pits Rich Franklin vs. Wnaderlei Silva

LINK

Quote:

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is set to make its German debut on June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne. While several fights have been rumored for the event over the past couple of months, most have not come to fruition.

MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday, however, was able to confirm through multiple independent sources that former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin and former Pride 205-pound champion Wanderlei Silva have agreed to fight each other at UFC 99.

Franklin has fought his last two bouts at light heavyweight, returning to the division after running into a brick wall named Anderson Silva at middleweight. Even though Wanderlei Silva's fights in the UFC have all been at 205-pounds to this point, he has made public his intention of wanting to move down to the 185-pound division.

"I talk with (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva and... say no problem, I'm down for 185? He say, no problem," Silva said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com, but adding, "I could fight in both divisions; I could fight 185 and 205."

It appears that he may not fight at either weight come June 13. Though it is too soon for bout agreements, sources have indicated that Franklin and Silva have agreed to face each other at a catch weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 195 pounds.

With both fighters coming off of losses Franklin to Dan Henderson and Silva to Quinton Jackson, each in the 205-pound division a catch weight fight doesn't really damage either's hopes for a title shot, as each would likely have to win a couple of fights before being considered a contender again.

A catch weight fight is a logical step for Silva to make his transition to the middleweight division a little easier. Walking around at about 208 pounds, he's never really had to deal much with weight cutting in the past, but will obviously have to in order to compete at middleweight.

The UFC has not officially confirmed any bouts yet for Germany, and it is not yet known whether Franklin and Silva will headline the UFC 99 fight card. Considering each fighter's stature in the MMA world, their bout would likely be at least a co-main event.

The only other independently confirmed bout for UFC 99 at this point is a lightweight contest between Spencer Fisher and Caol Uno.

RUMORED UFC 99 FIGHT CARD

WANDERLEI SILVA VIDEO INTERVIEW ON THE MOVE TO 185
Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Easy win for Franklin.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Crisco

I do not want to see this fight. I don't want either of them to lose I hope they freaking double KO eachother or something
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Straight Right

I like Silva alot and think that he's better suited at 185, but regardless weight class I think that he is on the down-side of his career and that Rich is still in his prime and takes this.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I do not want to see this fight. I don't want either of them to lose I hope they freaking double KO eachother or something
I don't want to see it either. The ideal would be for it to look just like Chuck vs Wandy where they both come out winners in the end.

[
Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
rearnakedchoke

man, this will be a good fight ... i think wandy takes this ... like both guys, but wandy seems to win the style match-up better .... wandy KO rd 1
Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
man, this will be a good fight ... i think wandy takes this ... like both guys, but wandy seems to win the style match-up better .... wandy KO rd 1
You really think Wandy has the style advantage?

Umm how?

Rich is the more techincal striker and he also has knockout power. If Wandy can refine his striking a bit he will be more dangerous.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Krupp

?WTF? Is the UFC trying to retire Wanderlei or something? We all know he's a warrior, but seriously...every fight he's had since coming back to the UFC has been against a top ten contender so far. This is just ridiculous.

With that said, I want Wanderlei to have one last great win in his career...but I'm not going to hope for it. Not against Rich. I'm not gonna watch this pay per view.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
hizo64

WHY UFC?! I love them both!! Ya I am not gonna be happy with the result of this fight either way, Rich and Wandy are my boys.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Joe Silva should be taken out and shot for this. Noone wants to see this fight. Noone wants to see these two fight in any division let alone at a catch weight. Noone wants to see either of them loose...its distressing