Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
I concur.

And sadly, I think the next attack is going to be worse than 9/11. I've read online that the higher peeps are concerned about nuclear threats. I seriously think we shouldn't be all that concerned about nuclear or dirty bombs. It's important, but we (US) should be even more concerned about chemical and biological attacks. It is SO EASY to make chemicals, and obtain nasty biological agents. Not to mention a heck of lot cheaper.

Think about it: most of our labs in the US don't have the best of security. It be easy to walk in, snatch some stuff, and walk out. Shoot, I was able to snatch some small vials HCL, Nitric Acid, and Acetic acid in my freshman year. But we have a no fly zone over a stadium during the Super Bowl, but no no fly zones over nuclear power plants. Go figure that.
You do raise an interesting point about potential bio weapons. But in terms of getting it from a university I would have to disagree. True, things like really concentrated di and tri protic acids are available, but you could NOT materialize that into a bomb. The susbtance would oxidize before causing any real damage. The most acids could do would be to burn you, but you would have to throw it on someone who is an arm length away, and you would need alot of if to kill someone, you might hurt someone with a little, but not kill. I mean theoretically you could use one of the planes that put out forest fires, but even then the acid would be so concentrated it may just oxidize first.

To get the really nasty stuff (carinogens, or mutagens) you have to have a permit. Those permits are only given to academic institutions and other big name pharma companies. That stuff is not given to undergrads, and sometimes not even the grad students. Only the proffs can handle them, and they are accoutable for every drop, just like a pharamcist who has to make sure he has oxycodone pill accounted for....because if he doesnt....TROUBLE. Plus the university would not let you mess around. They are billion dollar companies in the end (who happen to hand out degrees ). They are not going to risk you ruining their endowment $$$$$$$.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Nate, they've probably already given him free tickets for him and his family to visit Disney World.
LOL. Sadly, that's probably the truth, Bonnie.

Remember shortly after 9/11 when some mid-eastern guys in a restaurant thought it would be real funny to "plot" out loud to scare the woman in the booth next to them? It worked so well, they were stopped after going through a toll booth by the Feds and taken in for questioning.

They probably sued for civil rights violations, I can't remember. I was sure angry at the time that they were so crude to "joke" about 3,000 people who were massacred. This guy seems to be on the same level, like that shoe bomber was some kind of a joke? His arrogance is breathtaking.

I agree, withdraw his diplomatic status (if that's possible) and send him back.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 AM

I bet the people on the plane weren't amused either.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 PM
County Mike

"Oh, you were just joking? Then those punches to your face didn't really happen either."
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
"Oh, you were just joking? Then those punches to your face didn't really happen either."
Terrorists (and dumbass smartalec foreign diplomats) are to be handled with kid gloves, Mike. Just ask those three navy seals on trial.

Now, maybe if he tripped and fell on your fist as you were reaching out to catch him.

Last edited by Bonnie; 04-09-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
KevinD

[QUOTE=Bonnie;109651]Terrorists (and dumbass smartalec foreign diplomats) are to be handled with kid gloves, Mike. Just ask those three navy seals on trial.

It just makes me sick to hear that again. Seals on trial...its shameful. As far as this diplomat goes...he should be made an example of and deported back to his country immediately.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
If that was the case, then it was a very bad joke and the guy should have his status as a diplomat revoked and be sent back to his home country.
We should have a strict policy for crap like this, joke or no joke.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

So what's the deal? Was it a false alarm? A cover-up because he was a dip or did the moron actually think it was funny to play a joke like that?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
rearnakedchoke

ok, just read more about it .. he was apparently smoking in a bathroom ... i guess diplomats feel they have the right to break the law ... diplomatic immunity is the dumbest thing ever ...then he made a mention of a shoe bomb ... then he was free to go ...
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Just ask those three navy seals on trial.
Ooooh, that makes my blood boil! They (mil. general, can't remember which) have the power to drop all charges NOW - that needs to happen immediately before this travesty goes any further.

Last edited by flo; 04-08-2010 at 06:28 PM.