Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

WAR BOOMER!! Man, I'm soooo stoked for this fight on Saturday!!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM

B-O-O-M-E-R! Wake-up! There's no time for jet lag! What's going on over there?

Have you met a sheikh yet? What do they wear under those robes?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Part 2 of 4

OK gang!! I landed here in Abu Dhabi Tuesday around 8:45 PM …. got through getting our Visas and got to the hotel around 930. In Germany I picked up another forum member Christie … AKA Philps13. She made the trek from Cali to come see our champ so we are OUT IN FORCE!!!!!

matt came down to the lobby to meet us as we were signing in … great seeing him. He looked in fight shape of course .. and MAN Michelle you should see those abs!!!!!! Christie and I went up to drop our things off and we came down and matt was sitting at a table with Jeremy Horn, Matt Pena, DaMarques Johnson and Shawn so Christie and I sat at the table next to them to get some food. After that we walked around a bit with matt in the hotel and then went with him for a training session. After that I turned in ….. Jet lag.

The next day I was up bright and early because I went to bed at a time that was “early” for me. Went down to the gym because that helps with the jet lag. While I was there I saw Anderson Silva for a brief moment and gave him a wave and he smiled and went into the dry heat to cut weight. After a bit of a sweat I went back up to the room, took a shower and txted matt.

“You up?”

matt “In the lobby waiting to go to a press conference.”

“Want some company or no?” With room space, movement and a host of other responsibilities matt has pre-fight I didnt want to get in the way, but he shortly responded with,

“Sure”

So Christie and I go down to meet matt and he sets us up with a ride over to the place where the press conference is going to be. He leaves first and Christie and I are waiting to get in the next set of vans and there is only room for one person … I look in the van and see who I would be sitting by, so I turn and smile at Christie and tell her she can have this one, I'll wait for the next. SHE will have to fill in what happened after that!

This is my third or forth press conference with matt at one of his fights and something that I really enjoy. I'm going to post that vid soon if I can get it uploaded out here. If not than Ill load it when I get back. Matt and I talked with one of the local guys getting his own promotion started there in Abu Dhabi and it was really interesting to hear some of his perspective on the sport and industry. I got to sit next to matt as he was giving an interview to the yahoo sports guy and every answer he gave just made me prouder to be his friend. He talked about past fights, who he is, his fighting goals …... and the reporter was queing in on the fact that matt and BJ Penn seemed to have a playful banter going on during the conference and asked about bad blood .. or if there ever was any? To that matt replied,

“ I really dont think it was bad blood, more just competition. That plus the fact that both of us are two different people now … I mean Im 35, we both have kids … we are just different people now than we were 5 years ago.”

After the press conference matt got us all in the same van going back and we headed up to matt's room to chill for a bit. We watched some TV and as matt was dozing off, Christie and I decided to go out on the town a bit. She really wanted to ride a camel. The hotel folks said that there was no place to do that other than us going on an all night safari and we just were not going to do that. We decide to go over to a local market area and check out some of the touristy things they had. They had old school glass blowing, bronze workers, woodworkers, knife maker and a tapestry maker. Then just as we were in the last shop … the good Lord gave Christie her wish … and camel ride. Here are a few shots of that.

After we get back to the hotel we go back up to matt's room. He is on the bed just resting and gives Matt Pena a call to see when he wanted to go practice. They set a time for 830 and we just chilled in his room until that time. After we go back down to the practice area matt gets on the mat and looks just as comfortable on that mat than he did 2 minutes ago in that bed. I wonder if we could count the time spent in each which would win?

Not going to talk about matt's practice much, still pre-war but I have been given a defacto time keeper responsibility. I time the fighters pratice rounds (to which DaMarques Johnson insists im a “Hillsboro” time keeper from my beginners errors) and call out the time hacks as they progress. Oh and I am a 215 lbs human door stop. To keep prying eyes out of the room when matt throws the mits … my natural gurth makes a hard move for the strongest of foe trying to open a door. Like I said cant say to much, but matt looks AWESOME!! This is going to be an incredible match!!

After the training, Christie and I go eat with Matt Pena, DaMarques, Shawn and Jeremy Horn at the stake place in the hotel. It was a good time getting to know those other guys a little bit better and of course hanging with Pena is always a good time. He is just good people. Well I gotta go, almost 3:00 am here and gots to do more running around tomorrow. The pictures aren't uploading right now for some reason so they will have to wait. The energy in the air here is just intense!!! matt looks great .. he's in good spirits and this really will be something you shouldn't miss. Till later forum buds …

Amy I will try and txt you as soon as I know something during the fight …
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!

Last edited by Boomer; 04-13-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Silverback

Boomer good job, have fun, a once in a lifetime deal, Could not happen to better people, enjoy.WAR MATT
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the update, Boomer.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Stump Rules!

And this was all I'll read. I never liked you anyway, you know that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
matt came down to the lobby to meet us as we were signing in great seeing him. He looked in fight shape of course .. and MAN Michelle you should see those abs!!!!!!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Mac

Thats Great Boomer. Thanks for keeping us updated.!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 AM

Awesome continuation of the tale, buddy! Glad you're having a good time! I'll be glued to the TV come Saturday. stay safe and have fun

[
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM
countrybumkin

Love love your stories Boomer... Keep it coming we are all sooooo excited for the big fight!!! Have a GREAT time you deserve it!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you guys are having a blast out there. I love hearing about it all. Tell Christie I said hello and to have a little girl fun for me too!

~Amy