Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I dont think he should do that. They let Anderson Silva have fights in a different weight division without making his give up the belt. So long as Penn can defend on demand, I dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to do the same thing
thing is that holds up the diivision and means there would be only like 1 lw title fight a year.. Its not fair to the other fighters Dave!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
But two Champions fighting in Two different divisions and GSP yet to probably embark on the same!

I would be an adovocate of winning, 1 or 2 more fights, then vacating and going all out for WW Gold.

Anderson is only straddaling two Divisionns because he won't fight Machida
yes...but what harm does it do if they still defend their belts?

and there are three of them...so sooner or later IF they become good at those weight classes...there will be one less of them wont there

I think it would be a shame for any of them to give up their titles...why should they? they earned them...if someone else wants them...they should fight for them.

I can understand them dropping the title if they retire...or if they leave the organization...or if they break the rules and get stripped...but why should they have to drop something...when there is nothing stopping them doing both? That to me is unfair...

You know, ive said a lot of criticism to Penn in the past...but he HAS done all they asked of him...and he has outdone BOTH of the other glass ceilings in doing it. HE finishes his fights (unlike GSP) HE isnt boring (Unlike Anderson Silva) yet just like both of those he supposedly faces people who are no match for him, repeatedly, without getting bored, without playing to a safe game plan. He was told to build a legacy...He HAS...I say now he should be allowed to have some fun if he wants
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
yes...but what harm does it do if they still defend their belts?

and there are three of them...so sooner or later IF they become good at those weight classes...there will be one less of them wont there

I think it would be a shame for any of them to give up their titles...why should they? they earned them...if someone else wants them...they should fight for them.

I can understand them dropping the title if they retire...or if they leave the organization...or if they break the rules and get stripped...but why should they have to drop something...when there is nothing stopping them doing both? That to me is unfair...

You know, ive said a lot of criticism to Penn in the past...but he HAS done all they asked of him...and he has outdone BOTH of the other glass ceilings in doing it. HE finishes his fights (unlike GSP) HE isnt boring (Unlike Anderson Silva) yet just like both of those he supposedly faces people who are no match for him, repeatedly, without getting bored, without playing to a safe game plan. He was told to build a legacy...He HAS...I say now he should be allowed to have some fun if he wants
the harm is there will be less title fights and the whole division will be held up for months at a time while he fights at ww... Your opinion is pretty selfish just cus you want BJ to still be champion.. Its unfair to every 155 punder in the title is only defended every 8 months
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
thing is that holds up the diivision and means there would be only like 1 lw title fight a year.. Its not fair to the other fighters Dave!
oh no it doesnt.

On demand means ON DEMAND.

these extra excursions are Extra...with an ever increasing amount of Cards I dont see why the UFC cant slott Penn in on a UFN or a Versus...and STILL make him fight three times a year at LW.

I dont advocate letting him off his duties...this is extra...and if he wants it, I think he has earned it...if others complain because he gets to fight more a year then them...they should establish a glass ceiling type legacy and then the same be allowed for them...IF they can do that.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
the harm is there will be less title fights and the whole division will be held up for months at a time while he fights at ww... Your opinion is pretty selfish just cus you want BJ to still be champion.. Its unfair to every 155 punder in the title is only defended every 8 months
HEY I'm getting round to answering you!

I'm not advocating any drop in title fights....that should never be allowed because they have a duty to defend those belts a certain amount of times in a certain amount of time
Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
oh no it doesnt.

On demand means ON DEMAND.

these extra excursions are Extra...with an ever increasing amount of Cards I dont see why the UFC cant slott Penn in on a UFN or a Versus...and STILL make him fight three times a year at LW.

I dont advocate letting him off his duties...this is extra...and if he wants it, I think he has earned it...if others complain because he gets to fight more a year then them...they should establish a glass ceiling type legacy and then the same be allowed for them...IF they can do that.
your being unrealistic.. These days fighters need months and months of training before a fight... At most Bj will fight 3 times a year not defend his belt 3 times.. Why to you want him to hold up the division? so hell still be champion and can still be compared to GSP.. Which he wouldnt be able to if he wasnt a champion.. Whats your agenda? he has nothing left for him at lw he should just vacate the title and move up.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
From Sherdog

Lately, the pound-for-pound debate has been taking a three-way split: Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, and Fedor Emelianenko. B.J. Penn’s suffocation at the hands of St. Pierre over a year ago has polluted his participation. And it’s a shame. Of the four men mentioned, it’s Penn who has done the most to convince me his abilities deserve discussion of transcending the sport.

What other 155-pound athlete could ever survive in a ring against the current 205-pound champion? (Penn did, against Lyoto Machida in 2005.) Who else could have moved up to 170 to obliterate Matt Hughes at a time when Hughes was driving a steamroller over contenders? (St. Pierre hasn’t budged from 170; Anderson Silva went to 205 for fights against Forrest Griffin and James Irvin.)

Penn takes chances. While they’re not always successful, he shouldn’t be penalized for leaving his ego near the apron.

If he beats Frankie Edgar Saturday, Penn tells MMAWeekly.com that he might consider another, proper run at the welterweight title. “I think a fighter has to stay true to himself and what his goals and accomplishments are, what really motivates him,” he said. “…I really wouldn’t mind being the welterweight champion again.”

Previously, Penn’s conditioning didn’t match his ambitions: he showed up underweight and overmatched for the Hughes and St. Pierre sequels. What he needs is quality weight, not the garbage pounds he piled on during a run in Japan. Mackie Shilstone, who stuffed Michael Spinks with 4,000 calories a day and successfully helped him challenge for Larry Holmes’ heavyweight title, met with Penn once; he’s now hooked up with notorious fitness guru Marv Marinovich, who has fueled Penn’s long-distance efforts at 155 over the past two years. (Marv and his brother Gary, Penn told ESPN the Magazine, “turned me back into a 22-year-old.”)

Even with a perfect program, Penn is unlikely to ever match St. Pierre’s sheer physicality in the cage. But that does not make him the inferior fighter. Performance is relative to environment. Penn finishes fights; St. Pierre does not. Penn moves up; St. Pierre remains stationary. Penn pursues the best; Silva says he can’t fight his friends. The best fighter in the world competes Saturday, and his name is B.J. Penn.
agree with the article... GSP needs to move up go 1-2 at mw and get his ass kicked by Anderson Silva to be considered as good as penn
Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
From Sherdog

Lately, the pound-for-pound debate has been taking a three-way split: Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, and Fedor Emelianenko. B.J. Penn’s suffocation at the hands of St. Pierre over a year ago has polluted his participation. And it’s a shame. Of the four men mentioned, it’s Penn who has done the most to convince me his abilities deserve discussion of transcending the sport.

What other 155-pound athlete could ever survive in a ring against the current 205-pound champion? (Penn did, against Lyoto Machida in 2005.) Who else could have moved up to 170 to obliterate Matt Hughes at a time when Hughes was driving a steamroller over contenders? (St. Pierre hasn’t budged from 170; Anderson Silva went to 205 for fights against Forrest Griffin and James Irvin.)

Penn takes chances. While they’re not always successful, he shouldn’t be penalized for leaving his ego near the apron.

If he beats Frankie Edgar Saturday, Penn tells MMAWeekly.com that he might consider another, proper run at the welterweight title. “I think a fighter has to stay true to himself and what his goals and accomplishments are, what really motivates him,” he said. “…I really wouldn’t mind being the welterweight champion again.”

Previously, Penn’s conditioning didn’t match his ambitions: he showed up underweight and overmatched for the Hughes and St. Pierre sequels. What he needs is quality weight, not the garbage pounds he piled on during a run in Japan. Mackie Shilstone, who stuffed Michael Spinks with 4,000 calories a day and successfully helped him challenge for Larry Holmes’ heavyweight title, met with Penn once; he’s now hooked up with notorious fitness guru Marv Marinovich, who has fueled Penn’s long-distance efforts at 155 over the past two years. (Marv and his brother Gary, Penn told ESPN the Magazine, “turned me back into a 22-year-old.”)

Even with a perfect program, Penn is unlikely to ever match St. Pierre’s sheer physicality in the cage. But that does not make him the inferior fighter. Performance is relative to environment. Penn finishes fights; St. Pierre does not. Penn moves up; St. Pierre remains stationary. Penn pursues the best; Silva says he can’t fight his friends. The best fighter in the world competes Saturday, and his name is B.J. Penn.
So true!!! Word!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
your being unrealistic.. These days fighters need months and months of training before a fight... At most Bj will fight 3 times a year not defend his belt 3 times.. Why to you want him to hold up the division? so hell still be champion and can still be compared to GSP.. Which he wouldnt be able to if he wasnt a champion.. Whats your agenda? he has nothing left for him at lw he should just vacate the title and move up.
My Agenda

You dont need months of training. If he wasnt in the UFC he'd be fighting maybe double what he does a year...If he's like Jeremy Horn...he'd be fighting every other week.

What unrealistic about that? "nothing left" Actually...there are a gazillion tallented fighters at 155lbs that would chop him up if he stopped paying attention. It doesnt matter if he fights every single one of them and wins, and then starts again on the rematches with each...he has a duty to defend that belt...its called being a Champion..He's already in his past made the mistake of walking away from a belt...does he really want to do that again?

I think if he is good enough to hold it to retirement...he should...even if that means he holds it FOR YEARS and gets rid of them all twice over.

I just think ON TOP OF THAT, if he wants to fight in another division and work his way up slowly on the side he should be able to.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
From Sherdog

you forgot to put that jake rossen wrote this ... LOL ...